How to serve in double as a lefty with a right handed partner?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi,

Like the titles says, I'm looking for advice how to serve in a double as a left hander. It feels kinda strange to serve from the right side. Normally I try to serve short with a bit of backspin but it's really easy to receive for my opponent and they normally push it back. But if I serve long or a bit higher then they drive or topspin to my right side, making it difficult for my partner to receive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Forehand pendulum serves from a left handed player will usually get a return to the backhand of your partner. So it really depends on whether your partner has better forehand or backhand. Short under spin isn’t really good as it might be returned to anywhere

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
in double, it’s about what your partner wants. Personally as a right hander, I love left hander partners to have 3 main serves:
1. Half long side-underspin.
2. Half long side-topspin.
3. half long heavy underspin serve.

The opponents often aren’t able to drop short or kill these half long serves and I will have long or high ball to attack/counter. Mix 1&2 to deceive the opponents. Use 3 to change the pace. Of course more variations are good to catch them off guard and keep them guessing. But these 3 are my favorites.