Need advice how to improve game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Context - Unlike most beginners I started already being able to do top spins. Never had coaching, most of the things I learned were by myself and with my brother.
Haven't played for 20years+, mostly office work sitting down desktop job.
Played again June 2023, so this is almost 6 months of practicing.
I play 2-4 hours 3 times a week with friends. When I have time, about 1 to 2 hours with basic robot at home.
  1. First time recording myself, and damn what you feel like you're already doing your stroke right is so different when you see yourself ie Most of the time my top spins have no follow through.
  2. I can only practice serves by myself during robot session. I do practice also the footwork required after serves to be on the ready and not be too close to the table, but lately I'm getting lazy as I'm concentrating more on getting more spin that I lost my muscle memory for the footwork after serve to be on the ready and not be so close at the table as most of you will see on the vid.
I'm the one on our left side.
player on 2nd match is the best player among us 4 friends. he got more of the basics right as he got coaching back then as he was part of his school's team.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Any comments on what should be corrected on my strokes etc ?
Find a player whose style of play you like and mimic his movements with your bare hands at least 500 times a day, as slowly and accurately enough as you can, and after you have built up basic muscle memory, then get up on the table and do multi-ball drills, where you develop a basic feel for the ball by having a chaperone continually slamming the ball against your racket, and then sparring.

Reactions: xiomradeon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Find a player whose style of play you like and mimic his movements with your bare hands at least 500 times a day, as slowly and accurately enough as you can, and after you have built up basic muscle memory, then get up on the table and do multi-ball drills, where you develop a basic feel for the ball by having a chaperone continually slamming the ball against your racket, and then sparring.
wow, good advice. I will do that religiously every day. thank you stella.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
There's a lot to work on but one thing you can do to start with is learning to toss the ball up high and controlled enough. Some of those serve tosses look illegal.

Luckily, you can practice this without a table at home.
googling. rule says toss should be about 6inches/16cm. looking at vid, I do get your pov at some of my tosses. thought process for my serve is since I'm not hiding the ball with my palm nor my body, opponent can tell it is a legal serve.

watching this, learned something new. contact should be above table's level is common sense, what's new to me is AND BEHIND table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
@Stella daym this is such a workout! just finished 500 slowmo forehands. was already sweating at 172.
this forces one to learn weight transfer from right to left leg.
this also forces one to rotate hips down from backswing on to the final swing.
since it's slowmo, it also exercises the muscles on the legs as they carry the weight.
thank you for this.