Rubber advice for child.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
My son is now playing for about 2,5 years or so.
He is turning 12 this year.
Since about a year he is playing with my old Ando Ligna All, a nice light an controlled 5 ply wood frame wich has a bit thin handle so good for child hand and lots of feeling.
I put some Vega Intro rubbers on it.
And i am thinking that its time to go faster and more spinny.
So new rubbers on the same blade.
I think Rakza 7 is the ideal next step. But i am having doubts about either normal R7 or R7soft.
Or maybe forehand R7 and backhand R7 soft.
Who has some good insight what is the way to go? Start soft and slower move up harder or dont go soft first and get used to hard right away?

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
For kids play get a coach is better than choosing equipment, my daughter 15, training with some local coaches about 3 years, I change equipment for her when her level getting up and recommendation from coach.

This user has no status.
Setup is perfectly fine, unless he feels or you see he is lacking speed or spin.

I suggest to keep the frame and upgrade to faster rubbers if thats the case. Rakza 7 is a fine choice, if you want to stay with Xiom the Vega series have several options.

If he likes the Xiom Vega feel now, upgrading to something like a Vega Europe DF BH and Vega Asia DF FH might be a good option. You then have options past that if he outgrows them with the Xiom Vega X and Korea for example, sticking in the Vega line with similar characteristics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
My son who also turns 12 this year has played with the same Ligna all blade for two and a half years, first with Chinese rubbers, then with Vega Europe. We have recently upgraded his blade, because it was not stable enough for his backhand. He plays three times a week so he has made quite a lot of progress. I had a blademaker make him a blade based on the Ligna all, but with two additional basalt plies next to the core. He plays this now with Vega Europe on backhand and Vega Japan on forehand, both in 2.0 mm. It is still a very controlled set up but with a bit more zip and stability.

In your case, since your son is used to the Xiom Vega line, I would upgrade to Vega Europe on both sides, maybe with thicker sponges. Then in one year upgrade more, either blade or rubbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: enoxzr
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
If your kid has a coach and is motivated to become a good player then Vega X both sides and max. There is absolutely no need to give your kid a softer rubber than Vega X and there is no need to go to thinner than max sponge. ofcource max sponge is a bit harder to control at first and loops and drives can be a bit slower and less spinny compairing to a soft rubber but this face won’t last too many months. After this adaptation proses your kid knows how to use semi hard max sponge rubber and that is the way you should go. For example Werner Schlager sais that it is really important to start using max sponge very early becouse this way kids learn to use max sponge from the beging.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
A kid who have played for 2,5 years and are 12yo old can be VERY good. We have 12yo kids at our club who plays with Tenergy and DNA Platinums on offensive blades. We also have kids at the same age with Vega Intro etc. Kids with a little bit of talent who likes to train can develop in a pace that adults can just dream of. My advice is to ask the coach (or buy Rakza7 not soft 2.0 on both sides, its a safe choice).

Reactions: ander999
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I have similiar question for a setup for my son for is 10 years old. Plays competitively in a league and has well developed stroke. He was using a DHS 301Z 89gm blade with Rakza Z Max FH and Rakza 7 Soft Max BH.
I've recently changed his rubbers to Tibhar K3 max and Xiom Vega Korea max where the blade + rubber combo + Edge tape is around 195gm. I've a feeling that the setup is a little too heavy for 10 year old despite the fact that my son is enjoying the new setup.

What are the better options that makes sense for a lighter setup?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have similiar question for a setup for my son for is 10 years old. Plays competitively in a league and has well developed stroke. He was using a DHS 301Z 89gm blade with Rakza Z FH and Rakza 7 Soft BH.
I've recently changed his rubbers to Tibhar K3 max and Xiom Vega Korea max where the blade + rubber combo + Edge tape is around 195gm. I've a feeling that the setup is a little too heavy for 10 year old despite the fact that my son is enjoying the new setup.

What are the better options that makes sense for a lighter setup?
If your son enjoys it, then don't touch it.

If you really want to change it, then consider 2.0mm sponge for K3 and 2.0mm sponge for Vega Korea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
If your son enjoys it, then don't touch it.

If you really want to change it, then consider 2.0mm sponge for K3 and 2.0mm sponge for Vega Korea.
Thanks, there is indeed 2.0mm for K3 but there is no 2.0mm version of the Vega Korea.

Yes he enjoys it, I'm just concerned of the risk of injury for young child with a heavy setup.