SDC blades as accurate as real thing?

This user has no status.
I was thinking of getting a innerforce alc clone from SDC handmade blades as then I would be able to add my little details to the handle, but then it came to me, even though the materials are the same, would the blade feel different due to the process that they build it? eg. Glueing process, direction of fibres/veneers. Has anyone ordered a clone blade from SDC and compared it to the real thing? Does it feel the same? Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I was thinking of getting a innerforce alc clone from SDC handmade blades as then I would be able to add my little details to the handle, but then it came to me, even though the materials are the same, would the blade feel different due to the process that they build it? eg. Glueing process, direction of fibres/veneers. Has anyone ordered a clone blade from SDC and compared it to the real thing? Does it feel the same? Thanks.
What do you mean the real thing? Are you referring to, say, you want Fan Zhendong super ZLC which is $400 and you want SDC to duplicate it/

I have visited SDC's website. It is very interesting and very informative. But even on the site, he stated clearly, if you want two blades of the same thing, order them at the same time because he can use the same exact wood for both blades so they react the same way. SDC also stated that he keeps a log of all the blade he has hand made so later on if you want to duplicate the same blade, he will be able to do so using the same composition of woods. However, he will not guarantee that it will play exactly the same, 100% because a different patch of wood was used.

I imagine all the Butterfly blades are not the same in the same class. after all, if they are the same, then why does one blade weighs 92 g but another blade, the same model, might weigh 88 g.

I have not bought from SDC yet. But I have a feeling to buy from SDC only if you want your blade to be a work of art and be "unique." You cannot find it anywhere else.

If you want to experiment, SDC is probably not the best for you. Like for me, I can buy $30 or $40 per blade and buy 5 of them (the same model) to experiment and put different rubbers on them. SDC's price is very reasonable but I highly doubt I would want to buy 5 of them at the same time from SDC since what he makes is unique and there is no review of an unique blade.

If you want to duplicate an expensive butterfly blade, then you might want to order chinese knock-off brands. I do not see an issue with Chinese knock-off brand since a $400 butterfly blade has a certain combination of wood and carbon, so the Chinese brand can duplicate that all they want. at the end, they may play similar or they may play very differently.

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
What do you mean the real thing? Are you referring to, say, you want Fan Zhendong super ZLC which is $400 and you want SDC to duplicate it/

I have visited SDC's website. It is very interesting and very informative. But even on the site, he stated clearly, if you want two blades of the same thing, order them at the same time because he can use the same exact wood for both blades so they react the same way. SDC also stated that he keeps a log of all the blade he has hand made so later on if you want to duplicate the same blade, he will be able to do so using the same composition of woods. However, he will not guarantee that it will play exactly the same, 100% because a different patch of wood was used.

I imagine all the Butterfly blades are not the same in the same class. after all, if they are the same, then why does one blade weighs 92 g but another blade, the same model, might weigh 88 g.

I have not bought from SDC yet. But I have a feeling to buy from SDC only if you want your blade to be a work of art and be "unique." You cannot find it anywhere else.

If you want to experiment, SDC is probably not the best for you. Like for me, I can buy $30 or $40 per blade and buy 5 of them (the same model) to experiment and put different rubbers on them. SDC's price is very reasonable but I highly doubt I would want to buy 5 of them at the same time from SDC since what he makes is unique and there is no review of an unique blade.

If you want to duplicate an expensive butterfly blade, then you might want to order chinese knock-off brands. I do not see an issue with Chinese knock-off brand since a $400 butterfly blade has a certain combination of wood and carbon, so the Chinese brand can duplicate that all they want. at the end, they may play similar or they may play very differently.
It's not like I want a cheaper blade, its just that I want the same playing characteristics on the Innerforce, but with my own design of a handle.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Of course it will feel different. Even two blades from same manufacturer might fell quite different.
TB alc clone made by sdc felt different, cannot say that it was worse or that it was better, just different. I like butterfly tb alc feel more, but overall at the same time I like sdc blade more than the tb alc I owned before it.
Cannot say that it affected gameplay in any significant way.

This user has no status.
Just change the handle of your blade when thats the only reason...
I already have a handle design in mind. Thats why I chose SDC Handmade as they exel at executing beautiful designs in terms of handles. The design includes an acrylic tag, and aluminium tag, and 2 engravings, which is why I cannot just do it myself. I also saw that he can take a record of a blade then create it, and there could be a chance that someone has ordered an Innerforce ALC on there(I saw in the gallery many TB ALC's and Viscaria clones).

This user has no status.
Send your blade to a blade manufacturer.
I am sure you ll find one to just change the handle (in germany its tt manufaktur elsner for example)
If I do that it will cost more than just getting a custom blade(To be honest, getting a custom blade is already cheaper than getting an innerforce, but only by £10) as I live in England, so no manufacturers here. Thanks for the suggestion!

This user has no status.
Unfortunately there's always going to be differences between cloned blades and factory originals, just as there are always subtle differences between 'identical' blades from the same manufacturer.

In the case of a large manufacturer, they can't make all their blades absolutely identical because wood simply doesn't work that way. There are always unique variations in wood density involved, even between different boards taken from the same tree. These variations in density lead to large variations in weight, and subtle but detectable differences in bounce and flex between blades -- all of which goes towards a blade's performance fingerprint.

For a bladesmith cloning a blade, it's even harder because you don't know exactly what glue recipe a large manufacturer used in their original, nor the respective glue dosages, or the pressure settings in the presses, nor the platen temperatures (if they're using a heat press), or the cure time, or the type and brand of sealer - assuming their blades are factory sealed in the first place. All these things hugely effect the final playing feel.

Basically when trying to reproduce a classic blade, it's always a bit of a crap shoot. You can usually get reasonably close, but IME it's rare to get it all exactly right -- there's always a lot of educated guesswork involved.

Last edited: