Since when are you playing Table Tennis?

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
At my club, I play with members who started in 1968 and have never stopped playing since. One person was one time a reserve for the national team in the seventies.
There is someone else who is now 89 and played his whole live, as he says.
So curious if there are mastodonts like that here, and of course mostly that old people aren't online much
but how long are you playing..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
At my club, I play with members who started in 1968 and have never stopped playing since. One person was one time a reserve for the national team in the seventies.
There is someone else who is now 89 and played his whole live, as he says.
So curious if there are mastodonts like that here, and of course mostly that old people aren't online much
but how long are you playing..
2014-now

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Playing tournaments since the late 1960s as a junior. But, like Lazer, other interests required my attention in the early 70s and i didnt play again until the last few years. The only player in my circle of note is a late 80-something that has won the womens Sr Olypmics. She's a hoot to play with.

Some observations from a Rip van Winkle for you younguns:
1) WOW, i LOVE this modern equipment!!!
2) Clubs are still full of aholes that ruin the experience for me.
3) Nobody wants to train, just play games. Just like in the old days.
4) And whadda you mean that Geezers arent online??? Some of us practically live here.

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
3) Nobody wants to train, just play games. Just like in the old days.
4) And whadda you mean that Geezers arent online??? Some of us practically live here.
3) the first few times I entered the club (in august) some nice oldies helped me how to do forehand, shoving, a simple serve etc. Then next time, some club members asked me to play a game.. and before I knew I was playing games only and sucking at it. As soon as I noticed I didn't make progress I reclined and started training, and maybe one game per evening.
No training no gaming

Reactions: SrSTT
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
I played from 1974 until 1981 fairly regularly, and then I changed jobs and lost access to a table tennis facility so I stopped playing. I started again in 2014 and l've played twice a week since then.
Since 1974 respect. I was trying to walk at that time.
You fairly know the old style and the new style of playing. Do you miss the wooden bats without sponge or the games to 21 points?

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I started about 1962 in high school.....
have continued to present day. Spectated at 1977 worlds (uk) and 1983 worlds(tokyo). Around 1980 I had quite a good level. I continued in league and tournaments till 2014 . Now I mostly coach kids and do a few drills, to keep healthy. It's great to be able to follow the world scene of both tt and lawn tennis on line.

Reactions: riemsesy

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Since 1974 respect. I was trying to walk at that time.
You fairly know the old style and the new style of playing. Do you miss the wooden bats without sponge or the games to 21 points?

I certainly don't miss the old-style bats with pimples and no sponge, I always tried to avoid those even in the 1970s and all the bats I have actually bought have been reversed rubber with sponge. Where I play now a lot of the older "social" players prefer doubles to singles and they always play to 21 even now. If we play singles though we always use the 11-point scoring system. I'm a bit ambivalent about the change to 11 - on one hand it forces you to concentrate properly, on the other hand if you are 2-3 points behind it is too easy to give up and wait for the next game rather than trying to retrieve the current one.

Last edited: