W968 silver falling off handle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I recently purchased 2 x W968 National versions from what I believe is a reputable seller. Both of them passed the the DHS anti-counterfeiting via the code on the sticker. I've been playing with one of them for about 6 weeks and some of the silver coloring from the dragon on the handle fell off. What's interesting is it wasn't paint but silver metal. Feels like a staple. Curious if this is common. Even more curious if I bought a fake. Would appreciate any insights from the experts.

Attached are pictures of the handle with the numbers, dragon and the silver shard that fell off.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • handle.png
    handle.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 89
  • silver.png
    silver.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 86
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I have a number of versions of the HL5, yeah they're some sort of inlays. I've never had one fallen off, so can't confirm what material it is. I have a national one, but I have grip tape on it so can't compare the font, but you can find pictures of them elsewhere. I've got a national version and a provincial version from two separate sources, and they both seem legit. For one, they play identically lol, at least I can't tell the difference between them aside from the provincial one having a thicker handle and a smaller head. They both feel rather different from a regular 2020 HL5, both feel much more solid despite being very similar in weight. The flex on the W968 feels like bending a metal ruler, while the flex on the regular HL5 feels more like bending a piece of cardboard.

If yours play like described, then it's just fine. Maybe the blade has been in some hot place and the glue just got weak and the inlays fell out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Thanks everyone.
@ben1229 the laser printing looks very similar to ones online that are authentic. I should be able to compare it to one in person soon.
@dingyibvs I've never played with a commercial HL5 but have played with a few Butterfly ALC and ZLC blades and based on others descriptions compared to those it plays as I would have expected. Don't know when it would have been in a hot place but my hands get really sweaty and I don't towel enough so maybe warmth from my hand plus too much moisture? who knows.
@lodro when the first dragon whisker went black I assumed it was just paint that fell off. then today I grabbed it and something on the handle poked my hand. It was the metal inlay. Peeled it off and realized the black was from a laser engraver and the impression was filled with a soft metal. Caught me by surprise.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. For now I'll assume they are legit!

Reactions: lodro