Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Hello dear forum members! Recently I kinda remade my bh and went to the tournament. Here is a video of me playing(I'm in the black shoes).
Some aspects I noticed:
1)I almost don't move to the ball and I almost always do BH opening to the FH(I win the point but it's kinda not on my own) . I don't get into position and often miss the ball.
2) WHAT TO DO AFTER MY SERVE? I think I should stop rushing and think where does my opponent receive my serves.
3) I'm able to do only the first BH loop but can't continue. How to fix it? Relax the arm more?
4) I can make much spin on the FH loop but I want more power. What should I do to make my FH more powerful? You see I have the movement from the body but my loop is just slow.
5) My weight is on heels mostly. How to fix it?
1. I'm not a backhand expert, but you have to work harder with your legs and your arm to get that backhand to work all the time. I think you have a nice touch and brushing the ball really good.

2. You have to build up a plan for what you want to receive from your opponent and perhaps a backhand, short, slightly under/side spin in your opponents forehand (right handed) will give you a good opportunity to loop the returning ball. For example... :)

3. Often the first backhand loop comes on a back spin ball. The return will be top spin and you have to close your bat angle a bit more and hit the ball at a higher place. That's how it is for me anyway.

4. H3 42deg Ma Long? The blade is quite good for a sponge this hard, but you have to work hard and swing hard with your full body, hip, arm and wrist. Right now you aren't really close to what is needed. I think you should use a Yinhe Big Dipper 38 or 39 deg to get the feeling and a sponge that suits the way you play. The way you are swinging now, the 42deg sponge isn't engaged at all. Actually you have a nice brushing technique, but you need a softer sponge to get the spin and speed out of your bat. At, for example, 2.58 and 3.30 in your video, You have a quite good brush. But your opponent blocks it into the net. That ball should fly past the table if you had softer sponge.

5. You have to be more foreseeing in your game play and not be standing still at any time, Use all your time to prepare for the next hit. If you work on this you'll be on your toes automatically.

6. Take it a bit easy. Don't rush it and make bad decisions like try to topspin a back spin ball when you're out of position. Don't be active at all time. Sometime it's just better to block the ball when you don't have the technique yet for backhand attack on a top spin ball.

Hope it helps somehow. :)

Reactions: NextLevel and Fnub
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021

• Men Singles and I lost to this uncle.
  • I was not able to return his serve effectively.
  • Style: Ol'skool JPen style with only one side rubber.
  • Winning strategy: Tricky serve and 3rd ball loop attack.
  • He was a provincial / state representative during his younger days. Now, he is in his seventies.

Mar 2021
I welcome your criticism / feedback but you will be censored by the mod if you post your comment here. The rule is on post #1 of this thread and only certain forum members can comment and you are not one of them.

You can copy and paste your comment and transfer the discussion over to the daily chit-chat thread. I welcome it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I welcome your criticism / feedback but you will be censored by the mod if you post your comment here. The rule is on post #1 of this thread and only certain forum members can comment and you are not one of them.

You can copy and paste your comment and transfer the discussion over to the daily chit-chat thread. I welcome it.
sorry, I'll move it
(I know this will be deleted too)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello dear forum members! Recently I kinda remade my bh and went to the tournament. Here is a video of me playing(I'm in the black shoes).
Some aspects I noticed:
1)I almost don't move to the ball and I almost always do BH opening to the FH(I win the point but it's kinda not on my own) . I don't get into position and often miss the ball.
2) WHAT TO DO AFTER MY SERVE? I think I should stop rushing and think where does my opponent receive my serves.
3) I'm able to do only the first BH loop but can't continue. How to fix it? Relax the arm more?
4) I can make much spin on the FH loop but I want more power. What should I do to make my FH more powerful? You see I have the movement from the body but my loop is just slow.
5) My weight is on heels mostly. How to fix it?
I don't know why but you don't play like someone who is connecting sequences of three to five shots. Not sure what is causing it, you keep playing one shot and get surprised when the ball comes back and it doesn't seem like you are set on a response. You do some good things to prepare for a shot, but you are very guilty of ball watching and not knowing what your point winning sequences naturally should be. It is like you haven't figured out how to play your shots with effective connecting transitions to a serviceable level. That might be the result of just not having drilled transition footwork but there are other things you do well that would lead me to believe you have trained things. Just not sure what is causing these gaps. Your elbow position isn't wild but you don't use the stability to look effectively prepared to continue the rally at all times.

The biggest drill I would give you is to just record yourself playing one forehand , one backhand to a blockers backhand or forehand. Start the drill with a serve from either you or thr blocker on some points in the drill but also just play forehand topspin one backhand topspin continuously to the blocker. Then go 3 points on the table, either 2 forehands vs one backhand all to the blocker or two backhands (if you really love your backhand like me and hate moving) and one forehand. But you should be efficient connecting the shots and adding topspin to the ball. As much as it is important to learn to hit the ball hard, it is important to learn to add topspin (or mildly reduce topspin) to the ball to control the quality of the ball that you get from your opponents block. Topspin also increases consistency against certain opponents and can also be used by certain opponents (who countertopspin and block extremely well).

Then from there, go to serve, get push, slow spinny loop on third ball, and then finish the point on 5th ball. Or just continue to rally with pressure.

It is also important to be comfortable defending shots so if you have a good looper, let him loop to your block and you can do it with serve and return and then after the opening topspin, you learn to keep the ball in play with a block and then continue blocking or countering until you find a chance to finish the point or start attacking.

I am not saying that one should play for the rally. I am saying that one should be able to comfortably rally if They are forced to by opponents who survive the opening sequence or opponents who make it hard to end the point favorably on the third shot or fourth shot with minimal risk.

But if you aren't able to use the quality of your topspin and block to continuously rally or sequences shots, if your third/fourth ball isn't winning the point over 70% of the time, then you need to take a realistic look at whether your game is structured properly (equipment, ability to control the ball etc.) Because there is no point using equipment so hard that you cannot continuously rally with it to your satisfaction. I don't think that is the problem here, but it can only be diagnosed by looking at how well you do when you are forced to play multiple shots in a row and in the match you struggle to connect shots beyond serve and attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fnub and Wrighty67
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
sorry, I'll move it
(I know this will be deleted too)

Yeah. This thread is so that, if people post video footage, the only people who are allowed to respond are people who have a track recored of doing it in a way that is constructive.

Thanks for understanding.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦

Hello guys! My observation on what can be done better: almost everything lol.
But the most obvious problems - im too rushed to play sometimes ( bc I know opp is better so i need to take an initiative first), need to stay lower also, pivoting a lot from a backhand side and skillful opponent can exploit it.
What other things that are can be improved?

Last edited: