26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Some fans have voiced their concerns on the competency of coach Tasei on the bench in singles match, how do you guys feel about this?
Count me in. His timing of timeout has gotten better since last year or so, but then there is something inherent with the culture or structure of JTTA, say, sponsorships that he cannot overcome (e.g. limited power over the players and hence player development such as play style). In part 3 of the interview with Butterfly looking back on WTTC 2022, Tasei even says that there is very little he can do as the coach and it comes down to the players themselves if they want to listen.

Togami vs LSS
Textbook example of losing a totally winnable match. Could've finished it in 3 games. While Togami has himself to blame, but if Togami does end up losing, Tasei will have a big part in it. His timing of TO is still horrible, even years later. As the head coach of the men's team, the future is gloom when players rely on him for guidance.

http://mytabletennis.net/FORUM/foru...6&title=the-end-of-the-harimoto-dream#1135446
指導者ができることはわずか。会話を重ねて、選手たちの力を引き出したい

--選手が変わるためには、指導者の役割はどうですか。

田㔟 最終的に卓球は個人スポーツで監督やコーチができることは限られていると思うんですよね。あの狭いコートに立って戦うのは本人であり、そこで選手がどう感じどう判断するかは本人次第です。 
 何かしらのヒントになるようなことを選手へ伝えるよう日々心掛けてはいますが、仮にそのヒントが刺さったとして、最終的に判断し実行するのは選手本人です。選手たちが自分で変わろう、強くなろうと決意することが何よりも大切だと思います。

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I want LYJ to get to the final lol. ML is an easier opponent IMHO.
well, it is LYJ chance for sure.

Rather ML than LGY who is on form.
True test for LYJ now

He is up there, but he needs that killer blow and chance for him to display it has arrived.
No more other matches for LYJ, so he can focus on MS finally.
But still a test on his body and mind with back to back tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
well, it is LYJ chance for sure.

Rather ML than LGY who is on form.
True test for LYJ now

He is up there, but he needs that killer blow and chance for him to display it has arrived.
No more other matches for LYJ, so he can focus on MS finally.
But still a test on his body and mind with back to back tournaments.
Maybe it would've been a better idea for him to skip Almaty altogether like most of the top Asian players. It was probably a good confidence boost to win it after giving up 3-0 lead last year. But having to fly to the other side of the world and play just a few days later might take a toll on his endurance when he's so reliant on his athleticism. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up in these later stages.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Count me in. His timing of timeout has gotten better since last year or so, but then there is something inherent with the culture or structure of JTTA, say, sponsorships that he cannot overcome (e.g. limited power over the players and hence player development such as play style). In part 3 of the interview with Butterfly looking back on WTTC 2022, Tasei even says that there is very little he can do as the coach and it comes down to the players themselves if they want to listen.

http://mytabletennis.net/FORUM/foru...6&title=the-end-of-the-harimoto-dream#1135446
hmm, this is really interesting. For instance, I've seen different performances of Togami under Tasei and Mizuno (Meiji Uni.). Togami knows what he needs to do when Mizuno is on the bench. If Tanaka's coach this tournament is his personal, then JTTA should just let Tasei directing doubles match and let players bring their personal coach for singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe it would've been a better idea for him to skip Almaty altogether like most of the top Asian players. It was probably a good confidence boost to win it after giving up 3-0 lead last year. But having to fly to the other side of the world and play just a few days later might take a toll on his endurance when he's so reliant on his athleticism. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up in these later stages.
Nah, nothing energizes more than winning. And I am not entirely sure that Almaty is on the other side of the world when people from that country (Kazakhstan) are playing in the Korean tournament as well. Definitely a long flight but could be worse for sure.

Jan 2018
LJH has every reason not to be happy.

XD
Quarterfinalists LJH/SYB
Bronze medalists LJK/QTY, WCT/DHK
Silver medalists LYJ/CSY

Loecu7u.jpg

CBxANog.jpg

StKhCTR.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
hmm, this is really interesting. For instance, I've seen different performances of Togami under Tasei and Mizuno (Meiji Uni.). Togami knows what he needs to do when Mizuno is on the bench. If Tanaka's coach this tournament is his personal, then JTTA should just let Tasei directing doubles match and let players bring their personal coach for singles
Right. Hate to say it, but if Tasei felt like a placeholder at the World Tour and WTT events, what can we expect for major events such Buenos Aires 2018, Tokyo 2020, WTTC 2022, and now ATTC 2023. Qin Zhijian was also like that [WTTC 2022, and WTT Cup Finals 2022].

After a quick look, Tanaka has been playing solo since May at Zennoh Cup Hiratsuka and Tokyo, the last time he played with affiliation to Aichi Institute of Technology was back at Zennoh Cup Funabashi last November. He graduated from AIT and turned pro in March. According to Rallys report, Tanaka turned to crowdfunding in early August for the 600,000 yens (~US$4000) needed to compete overseas.

Jan 2018
MD F
ML/WCQ vs FZD/LGY
910, 1311
30 TO for FZD/LGY, 44, 47, 77 LGY blew that fade flick, 78 LGY made amend with that BH loopkill, 88 LGY missed that FH short push, 89 ML missed the FH loop on FZD's spinny push, 810 WCQ missed the chiquita, 811. And WCQ swatted that last ball away!

You gotta be very uninterested to sleep among that crowd.
DWXlyRo.jpg

Fan Zatoichi Dong: Believe!
OtktsDV.jpg

a5ko9Fe.jpg

LGY: Believe!
j2ZnbIt.jpg

Still not happy.
SxKRKqH.jpg

JWJ: Let me crack you up.
LfFV9Zl.jpg

lC967U3.jpg

This is KOR, no place for JPN.
yNezEwc.jpg

ML: This good-for-nothing.
gWg0iDJ.jpg

Believe!
ehXPCZJ.jpg

bo0DILT.jpg

ex8xJ9g.jpg

cqMWywQ.jpg

SER18cG.jpg

EqeVc9Z.jpg

LGY: Gotta pay tribute to heaven.
WCQ: Even heaven doesn't like me?
6qerd1m.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Jan 2018
WS F
SYS vs WMY
45 TO for WMY, 410, 510, 511

Af9GH34.jpg

vYjkE5g.jpg

T0VCzNb.jpg

WMY: I'm back. We'll meet again in WS at Paris 2024.
JQr56dm.jpg

DJNCPcs.jpg

WMY: I'm back.
RUkE6vP.jpg

CXT/WYD: She's back.
kUbhcTu.jpg

p3IV3iz.jpg

China: It's missing one 5-star Red Flag.
HGRZROi.jpg

rBxMM1i.jpg

kevOwcI.jpg

I3uscpO.jpg

HA0DItf.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
maybe yes,
but those players that went to Almaty also need the ranking points.
Many of Taiwanese players ranking points will expire in the coming few months.
So if they don't pick up more now, they will drop world ranking very fast.

Maybe it was a gamble, they know tier 1 Asians won't be going to Almaty.
Irrelevant of the reasonings, ITTF/WTT scheduling is really back to back. The ATTU is an ITTF event after all.

Jan 2018
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...503&title=attc-2023-pyeongchang-9-310#1144503
Harimoto/Hayata on 0-3 LGY/WYD, and that the bandaged wrist had nothing to do with injuries or the results
https://weibo.com/2011739333/Ni4NMzGJu
#张本智和说输球还是对手实力更高#张本和早田混双赛后采访,两个人都觉得第二局的失利对整场影响比较大,张本智和说不到11分就不算赢,关键球林高远处理的很好,今天中国组合的实力比自己更高一些。
#林高远王艺迪混双晋级四强#

Turns out he injured somewhere around his thumb during warmup on the day of MT (not specified but 9/4, which would explain why he skipped the position matches against KAZ and IRI the next day), that it would be a lie if it did not affect him, but whether it be techniques, tactics, psyche as well as injuries, it is his responsibility.

On 1-3 Noroozi, Harimoto said he felt ok during practice but things were still different in the match, and he couldn't handle Noroozi's serve in their first encounter. He praised Noroozi for having very good serves and making few errors in the rallies.

Harimoto says his confidence in playing good matches when in form remains strong, but outside of that there are many immaturities and areas to pay attention and he wants to prepare well for the Asian Games.

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2023/09/029877.html
■張本智和 試合後インタビュー

ーーアジア選手権を終えて

団体戦の当日にウォーミングアップ中に自分の不注意で親指付近を痛めてしまったので、その影響がないと言ったら嘘になりますがそのせいでもないので、怪我を含めて技術や戦術、心技体すべて自分の責任なのでしょうがないかなと思います。

もちろん勝ちたかったですが怪我はつきものですし、今回みたいに当日怪我するケースは初めてですがそれも含めて自分の人生なので、怪我をした自分が悪かったと言うしかないかなと思います。

ーー棄権は考えなかった?

練習した感じは悪くなかったんですがやっぱり練習と試合は違いますし、相手もアジア選手権にかけてきてると思うので、その中で練習とは違う感覚でミスが増えたり初対戦の相手のサーブに処理ができなかったです。相手のサーブも上手でラリーもミスなく粘ってきたので、相手も良いプレーだったと思います。

ーーこの後の1年をどう過ごしていきたい?

Tリーグや国際大会では良いプレーができているので、自分の状態が良ければきっと良いプレーができるという自信は揺らがないですが、こういう試合以外の面でまだまだ気をつけるところや未熟なところが多いので、まずは次のアジア競技大会(9月22日~)までに万全にして臨みたいと思います。