5 ply blades - a few observations on my three..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can't play with hard outer plies as comfortably as I do with softer ones - limba and Hinoki over the others

I honestly think that othe than finding outer and inner plies you like, EJing in the same blade speed class is largely a waste of time. Unless the feeling of what you are using is terrible, your brain becomes bored over time even when it is great. So just train until the equipment feels like your right hand. Do a lot (and I mean a lot) of target practice.

Handle shape and grip are probably the most important aspects of comfort with a blade and unfortunately the least studied.
It is worth reading that a few times. And then you should pound that like button. This is worth understanding.

This user has no status.
The great thing about the Fextra being so cheap is I can buy a couple of them and then get a bit more adventurous with the sanding to get things perfect. Won't feel quite nearly as bad ruining a $20 blade. Also a good cheap way to test different rubbers by switching between setups on multiple blades.
This blade sounds really good to try out especially as it is so cheap, where is the best place to buy it?
They don't sell Sanwei on tabletenns11 which is the first place that I look to buy equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
This blade sounds really good to try out especially as it is so cheap, where is the best place to buy it?
They don't sell Sanwei on tabletenns11 which is the first place that I look to buy equipment

There are a lot of sellers offering the blade on aliexpress. Because they sell in such high volume, you can probably specify a weight that is ideal for you as well.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Ahh yes, Sanwei Fextra, of course it is a 7 ply blade and there are about 1000versions . 😁
How about this one :
S26b6744b3f064b86bcb6f5cb73b67e32a.jpg

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
I have, over the past couple of months, been playing with a slower blade and rubbers in an attempt to work on my technical abilities better - something that I have to say I recommend wholeheartedly as the loss of speed has been minimal but the increase in confidence and consistency has been marked..

I have been lucky enough to have three 5 ply blades to try, and thought it may be of some use to share my rather non-technical observations of these in case it benefits anybody considering one or other.

My blades are a Violin (large straight handle) a Butterfly Falcima and a Xiom Off S (both flared) - weight of all of them is 87/88g. Frequencies are;

1. Violin : 1148
2. Falcima : 1380
3. Off S : 1377

All were paired with the same rubbers - Rozena max both sides.

The Violin is noticeably harder in feel but also slightly more flexible than the others - it is obviously slower too, but not to the extent that it feels in any way sluggish and still has plenty of power when looping or smashing. I like the large straight handle on this one better than any previous Nittaku handles (small and large flared) but I still prefer a larger flared handle such as the Off S. The Violin is a beautifully crafted blade and very well balanced - if it has a failing for me it is that the flex makes it a little harder to block and the hardness in combination with the flex needs some adjustment.

The Falcima is (I am pretty sure) a Koto outer and feels stiffer than the Violin as well as crisp (like a Viscaria feels in some ways - direct) The handle is typical, slightly small, Butterfly flared but is very comfortable. The blade is also well balanced and easy to control. It feels to me the fastest of the three and I was quite surprised just how much speed it offered for a 5 ply wood blade (Certainly feels faster than Korbel/Primorac) It pairs well with the Rozena rubbers and makes for a very good all round offensive set up, that could be upgraded with Tenergy or similar as you progress.

The Off s is the cheapest of the three by some margin (50% of the Falcima and 23% of the Violin) so in my view is very good value. Build quality and finish may not quite match the Falcima and certainly not the Violin, but it is pretty good regardless. It has a Limba outer ply, which to me lends it a really nice feel on impact which is slightly more muted and softer than either of the others. I feel it is also better at blocking safely and pushing short. Balance is great and for me, the handle is really nice (but it is quite wide and flat and so may not suit everyone)

The truth is that I could happily play with any of these and not feel in any way seriously compromised - they are all great blades and all suit my offensive, spin focused style very well. That having been said, the one I feel most comfortable with is the Off S - I just find that the feel it gives me generates confidence and a willingness to commit to shots such as looping vs underspin or short touches (both of which are a challenge for me in matches)

Not what I expected - if you had asked me beforehand I would have thought that the slower Violin would have met those requirements best, but I had underestimated how hard it feels on impact compared to the others.

Happy to answer any questions and hope this is of some limited use to anybody looking for an all wood 5 ply (It might save you some money ;-)
Giving you plenty of love just because you mention Falcima and Rozena in the same post.

Reactions: Wrighty67
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Is this available anywhere? Kinda like this color scheme better. Definitely goes better with my Moon 12 Blue rubber.
i will let you know tomorrow, there is only one stockist now who claims to have stock but he can be a bit of a clown. I asked the question, maybe it is yes.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Now the season has all but finished, 1 match to play tomorrow, the EJ ing is kicking in!!! R48 and Barracuda on match blade, and tonight Glazer and Glazer 09C on a spare!!!

Same - last match tomorrow night then the experiments can begin - glad when this season is out the way haha.
Apart from the first couple of games of this season Ive played with the same set up.

But after reading this thread the last couple of days – last night I tried my Korbel warming up before training started going back to my regular setup.

I've got to say I just don't like that blade - its the European made version not the Japanese one and it didn't have my usual rubbers on. But theres something about it just feels wrong. Maybe it's that particular blade - and its a bit crap?

I have an old Primorac black tag and a Donice Applegren, and both of those feel much nicer - though a bit slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I can't play with hard outer plies as comfortably as I do with softer ones - limba and Hinoki over the others

I honestly think that othe than finding outer and inner plies you like, EJing in the same blade speed class is largely a waste of time. Unless the feeling of what you are using is terrible, your brain becomes bored over time even when it is great. So just train until the equipment feels like your right hand. Do a lot (and I mean a lot) of target practice.

Handle shape and grip are probably the most important aspects of comfort with a blade and unfortunately the least studied.

The current blade on my list is the Joola Vzaryz Trinity. It is my attempt to quell my desire for the Mizutani SZLC - that said. I would gladly get a backup Innerforce T5000 if they still sold it. I suspect it will all be a hopeless failure but one can only wish.
Agree 100% about handles!!
Tried Donic Dotec blades, liked the wings.
Asked Sergio to make a couple of blades based on that Tamca 5000 blade handle with the Dotec wings added, longer handle as well.
(The Dotec blades have a sculpted handle as well as the different wings. It’s really the sculpted handle that’s the point of these blades, I just like the feel of the wings and wanted to incorporate that style of wing on what is a ‘normal’ straight flared handle)
I now have 4 blades with the ‘Dotec’ wings and longer handles

Now every time I pick up a ‘regular’ / ‘normal’ bat, (which in the past was what I used and was use to) they feel sharp at the wings, the handle feels short and sort of insecure.
Sure, if I went back to a standard handle type, after a few hours play, I would get use to them again.
But why should I / we ??? Everyone’s hands are different. One size fits all??? Nah.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Appreciate it.

Looks it's not just a blue version of the Fextra 7 but even the name is different. This blade is called the Pro Fextra V.

Can't find any info about it online. For $30, I'm willing to be the guinea pig here though.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Appreciate it.

Looks it's not just a blue version of the Fextra 7 but even the name is different. This blade is called the Pro Fextra V.

Can't find any info about it online. For $30, I'm willing to be the guinea pig here though.
Yeah, why not gamble a little. There is probably not much difference between the 2 fextras they are both rip offs of the famous Stiga clipper and both blades seemed to have been around for a long time (2o17 ???)

This seller has generally a good reputation and a very high percentage of good feed backs.
I bought a few bits and pieces of him but he screwed me a couple of times, mainly by advertising goods that he did not have in stock.
You'll be alright . (y)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Today my ej was activated and was looking opportunity to buy ALC blade, of course I’m aiming Viscaria don’t want to overpay for players blades +45-50€ to Viscaria price. Just checked my btf local distribution and found out they increased Vis price to almost players blades :(. Today had a training with my coach and know that he has Viscaria ST with Evolution MX-S and MX-P. I texted him to take it on today’s training … and… I was disappointed tried it today. it was so head heavy, compared to my Acousting + Rozena‘s (170g) and new OSP Virtuoso+ + T64/T05 (184g). Playing Viscaria I felt pain in my wrist. I was blessing day that my ej didn’t take control over me a did not blind buy. Virtuoso is like heaven and earth to Viscaria. I could do everything I wanted. BH topspin’s was so fast and deadly. Playing Viscaria I didn’t know what to think. Whether it was rubbers or…?
yep I think I’m cured so far from ALC blades. 5ply rocks!!

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
And yet I read time and again of the newest and greatest "improvement" on the viscaria structure 🤣
Every company wants their slice of the pie, they can do so by reinventing the wheel because customers are ever so happy to shell out wads of money to claim their piece of "shiny and new"

Reactions: Gekko and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Yeah, why not gamble a little. There is probably not much difference between the 2 fextras they are both rip offs of the famous Stiga clipper and both blades seemed to have been around for a long time (2o17 ???)

This seller has generally a good reputation and a very high percentage of good feed backs.
I bought a few bits and pieces of him but he screwed me a couple of times, mainly by advertising goods that he did not have in stock.
You'll be alright . (y)

I think it's unfair to say the Fextra is a ripoff of the Stiga Clipper. The Fextra uses two outer limba layers instead of just one so the composition is different.

Besides, they ripped off the Carbonado handle (I even had a guy at the club exclaim "you bought a Stiga?"). So it can't be a blatant ripoff of Clipper if the handle is a blatant ripoff of Carbonado :LOL:

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I think it's unfair to say the Fextra is a ripoff of the Stiga Clipper. The Fextra uses two outer limba layers instead of just one so the composition is different.

Besides, they ripped off the Carbonado handle (I even had a guy at the club exclaim "you bought a Stiga?"). So it can't be a blatant ripoff of Clipper if the handle is a blatant ripoff of Carbonado :LOL:
I never found a description of the actual laminates so do not know if it is limba ,koto or whatever.
Considering that Sanwei shamelessly concedes that Fextra is " Clipper structure", I can equally shamelessly conclude that there is at least some ripoff going on.
But I am easy about it 😁
I am actually surprised you saying that the two outer layers are Limba. I only plaid a short time with my mates Fextra (can't remember what rubbers were on it) and felt it was as stiff as a brick.

Reactions: Andrea Jiang