Butterfly CYPRES G-MAX - Rubber suggestions!!

This user has no status.
Dear TTD,

I have been struggling immensely with my combination of the Cypress G-Max blade and the Donic Bluestorm Z1 Turbo (Max-Red) - and today, after losing 4 of 6 matches in tournament, I also lost my temper and in frustration ripped of the rubber… The combination, on paper, should be ultrafast, but when comparing it to my old setup, which on paper is considerably slower, I hit much harder, faster and precise…

The Butterfly blade is somewhat heavier and thicker than my old blade, which offcourse also effects my shots, but I feel that the Donic rubber does not quite suit the blade - especially by blocking which slows the ball unnecessarily down…

So fellow TT players, and especially Butterfly CYPRESS G-MAX players… I would like suggestions for an ultra fast rubber with high spin and medium control capabilities that fit this blade?? Also please advise which thickness you would suggest..

thanks, over and out from Sopot/Poland

Haagne

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
The combination, on paper, should be ultrafast, but when comparing it to my old setup, which on paper is considerably slower, I hit much harder, faster and precise
Speed ratings as they come in writing are more often than not, deceptive. And I think it's also accurate to say that equipment you are not as familiar with should provide less control than that which you are already familiarized in using. If you are coming from a thinner harder blade, you would of course find something like a thick Hinoki to be hard to control, as thin/hard and thick/soft exist on the opposite sides of the spectrum. My advice would be to try one of your old rubbers on the new blade to see if that's a pairing that works out better for you.

Reactions: JJ Ng
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Dear TTD,

I have been struggling immensely with my combination of the Cypress G-Max blade and the Donic Bluestorm Z1 Turbo (Max-Red) - and today, after losing 4 of 6 matches in tournament, I also lost my temper and in frustration ripped of the rubber… The combination, on paper, should be ultrafast, but when comparing it to my old setup, which on paper is considerably slower, I hit much harder, faster and precise…

The Butterfly blade is somewhat heavier and thicker than my old blade, which offcourse also effects my shots, but I feel that the Donic rubber does not quite suit the blade - especially by blocking which slows the ball unnecessarily down…

So fellow TT players, and especially Butterfly CYPRESS G-MAX players… I would like suggestions for an ultra fast rubber with high spin and medium control capabilities that fit this blade?? Also please advise which thickness you would suggest..

thanks, over and out from Sopot/Poland

Haagne
7C1E04B1-726A-4AC9-9C03-59A700B2F5E3.jpeg

You want speed? Do you really want speed? You can't handle the speed!

With that little joke aside, I find that Tibhar's Evolution MXP works just fine, actually more than fine on my 10.5mm one ply hinoki blade. Been using it for a year plus this combination.

This user has no status.
View attachment 24448

You want speed? Do you really want speed? You can't handle the speed!

With that little joke aside, I find that Tibhar's Evolution MXP works just fine, actually more than fine on my 10.5mm one ply hinoki blade. Been using it for a year plus this combination.
Hi Gozo - interesting… I played the Tiphar MXP a couple of years ago with another thinner blade… I might try that… thanks!

Mar 2021
Hi Gozo - interesting… I played the Tiphar MXP a couple of years ago with another thinner blade… I might try that… thanks!
Life is short! Live life to the extreme. Max thickness blade with max speed and with max catapult effect rubber. No regrets, no surrender! Boo Yah! The smashes, oh the smashes... joy and happiness all the times. Who cares about losing and winning. It is joy & happiness we want!

This user has no status.
I played GMax before. Slightly harder than my Speed 90.

My suggestion is stick to 2mm sponge thickness. Semi tacky rubbers will help the short game tremendously.

My suggestion would be Vega China, 09C, K2, K3 or R48.
Ok sounds interesting, I am not familiar with Vega China rubbers - thank you👍🏻

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I played with Chinese rubbers growing up, Friendship 729 and Friendship tackspeed 2000 or something like that? At the time, I had Butterfly J-pen blade. Chinese rubbers and J-pen blade work well together. Serve and short games are very very good.

If you want to hit harder or loop harder, then just work harder.

Reactions: greenbeanmachine