Does a thicker sponge require an additional layer of glue?

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Does a thicker sponge require much more glue?
Not really. That part is up to you.
Sometimes I glued 2 thin layers on rubbers and 2 on the blade.
Last time, 2 layers "Rubber" and 1 on the blade.
During the last time, I wanted to feel more the contact with the blade, and I just put 1 "Rubber" and 1 "Blade".
Personal Preference on this one.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
For me it's 1 layer for blade and 1 layer for sponge, doesn't matter how thick the sponge is. The idea that "more glue means the rubber is stuck on better" is just wrong , because what we're using here is contact glue, which we wait till it is already dry, then attach the rubber onto the blade. This means that what ever extra layers of glue you put on top of the first layer, the first layer is still the only one that sticks on the surface you brushed it on, which also means more layers just equals to more weight being added, nothing else. Also, glue when dry has some rubbery characteristics (latex), more layers of glue dampens the characteristics of your rubber.

In other words, the reason for more layers is to adjust the weight/CG of your paddle, or dampen the feel a bit, not to stick the rubber on better. Btw, if you say "I put extra an extra layer of glue to make it a smoother contact surface", then you should really reconsider your glue brushing technique. The goal is to put a smooth thin even layer of glue down. So if your glue layer ended up being a bumpy mess filled with holes, you probably should get either new glue, or new brushes, or find someone can do it right to do it for you.

As for the point for easier removal, just brush another layer if you find it hard to remove, if it is already easy to remove with just one layer, why waste glue and time for another layer?

Last edited:
Reactions: FrenchFrog33