Donic Ovtcharov/Original №1 Senso / Hurricane Long 5 for new player question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Hello everyone! New to this forum, my first post! Thank you for reading!

I want to ask your opinion about particular blade - Donic Ovtcharov/Original №1 Senso.

But first some information:
My equpment: Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon + Yinhe Jupiter 2 soft both sides (soft is vendor specific version, it is not the same as 38, the specific vendor that sells it says it is great for new player to learn stuff, and it performs like euro/jap rubber of x3 it's price)
My playstyle - i started playing this summer, i learn by watching videos and trying to imitate the technique. So far i learned to do topspin from both sides, banana flick, and i push when i'm not sure what to do. My topspins may be not very consistent, for example i'm not sure i will be able to hit 10 of them back to back, but i think i undertand the principle behind the stroke right now. Got eureka moment in the end of a summer and from pure imitation i understood the brushing contact, what makes topspin work. In my opinion i can tell what i did wrong when ball goes off the table (racket angle not closed enought) or in the net (mushy contact most likely, not enought brushing action).

I cannot do drives or flat hits, ball goes beyond the table. I do not undrerstand yet how to do them.

So back to the question, i got EJ itching right now, and i put my eyes on Ma Long 5, long story short everyone says it is good for topspin, and that what i like to do, why play TT if you don't want to do sick topspins. And people say because it is 2 layers before carbon (like my current Ma Lin SC) it is not speed monster, so this is good for short game. Problem with it - it is kinda expensive.

Reading forums i saw a person you all know, "G_ZHANG" said:
Donic No1 Ovtcharov is HL5, Donic No1 Ovtcharov senso is a better HL5 (some where between normal HL5 and W968)
Thread is "Cheaper version of w968"

So it is better version of HL5, and it happens to be on sale on tt11 now, for 130 bucks. So this is the chance to get it if i want to.

But i don't know if i should, i it really rebranded HL5 with different handle? I also worry about durability of senso handle. Also i red that Ovcharov now doing a new blade with BTY, and buying this feels a little bit off because of this, like he abandoned his own blade and doing a better one, that will be in the same price range most likely. And ofc. i'm interested in what you guys think, should i be interested in such a blade on my level or i should put my EJ thought aside?

Thank you for reading all of this! Hope my english was alright. :)

In all honesty, I know people who have tried both a viscaria, otc, and ovtcharov(now called original) senso no 1, and the senso no 1 always had this, that it is faster compared to viscaria, or the outer koto alc blades.

The difference between senso no 1 and hl5 for me is the senso technology. It is a hate or like thing. Personally, I like it because you can feel the vibrations and the blade is more head heavy, but if I were you, and you just started this summer. It would be better to use an all wood blade 5 ply, but if you really want that then just choose any. It is also better to buy the ovtcharov while it is still discounted. Plus if you think about it, due to that being ovtcharovs signature blade, it could be valuable in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I own Donic Ovtcharov No1 Senso. The handle is the same. I measured my handle, BryanY measured his Long V Commercial. There is maybe a 1mm difference. I own V14 Pro and mine ON01S is slower than V14 Pro. Much easier to control, much easier produce stupid amounts of spin.

If you want it. Take it, great blade. Marvelous. You will not want to sell it if you are into these type of blades. It will not help you though. You must train, start with the basics.

EDIT: its 130€ or 150$, not 130$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I’m not really sure what you meant “I started playing this summer”. I said the same 1/2 year ago but in all honesty, a decade before that I did play without any techniques for a couple of years. So at least I had a sense of the ball. But let me take your words as they are, not mine :cool:

If you cant do a basic drive for more than 10 shots without having to try too hard, forget all the things. Just get going. Ma Lin Soft Carbon is a good blade. Appreciate it.

If you try different equipments, you will certainly see differences. But it’s better to know what the differences are for, than the differences themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuba Hajto
Also small edit, if your read more about the Long V mythology, the better quality (prove, national etc) the harder it is to use. The higher the grade the better the player required. Not to control it, but to actually wield it. More power needed to engage higher gears.

None of us are Ma long or our techniques arent as efficient or powerful compared to cnt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
None of us are Ma long or our techniques arent as efficient or powerful compared to cnt

I did not even suggest that. I am just saying that you need to be actually good enough to wake this Dragon up. If someone plays with this blade and does not know what he is suppose to be doing, then he will be blabing about lack of speed...

H301 and Fang Bo B2 are nowhere near as good as Donic ONo1S. It's a weird thing that is thin as 5 ply, very linear in my power range (the previous owner was bothered by the abrupt power up from this blade, I guess that Battle 2 40 I use does negate this a bit), does not splinter as easy, nowhere near as good feeling. Maybe it is due to my rubber combination but I have yet to play with the more linear composite blade.

You can show us how you play, I think there should be a lot of competent people here to give you pointers to improve. Your setup is perfectly fine. Changing your setup now will probably harm your development (ask me how do I know...). If you want to scratch that itch, just wait till a used one will pop on the market and snag that one. I bought mine for ~100€ with a used rubber sheet as a bonus on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khimmi
I did not even suggest that. I am just saying that you need to be actually good enough to wake this Dragon up. If someone plays with this blade and does not know what he is suppose to be doing, then he will be blabing about lack of speed...

H301 and Fang Bo B2 are nowhere near as good as Donic ONo1S. It's a weird thing that is thin as 5 ply, very linear in my power range (the previous owner was bothered by the abrupt power up from this blade, I guess that Battle 2 40 I use does negate this a bit), does not splinter as easy, nowhere near as good feeling. Maybe it is due to my rubber combination but I have yet to play with the more linear composite blade.

You can show us how you play, I think there should be a lot of competent people here to give you pointers to improve. Your setup is perfectly fine. Changing your setup now will probably harm your development (ask me how do I know...). If you want to scratch that itch, just wait till a used one will pop on the market and snag that one. I bought mine for ~100€ with a used rubber sheet as a bonus on this forum.

I am just giving a player who uses a national w968, who has great power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Please, do not buy a long5 and just waste your money on it, you don't even know how to hit drives and you wanti to go high end and you don't event know what kind of rubber you want to use, first learn the basics and then train spinning the ball, even if you bought a long5 you will not have the power and correct technique to use it and I suggest you to get a coach, bc you don't have a second opinion on your loops and if you want a long5 try b2x first is a simpler alternative to long5 if you can extract 100% power of it then you go to long 5

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try a slower all Wood blade. Cool and fun to play with faster carbon But i think it is a shortcut to become better now But will limit your development in the long run.