Horrible backhand, stiff wrist.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi!

I have an incredible bad backhand, I get zero spin and I have zero control.
This makes me extremely vulnerable when I play matches, since my opponents finds out about my weakness very quick and only play down my backhand.
I'm trying to practice the backhand, but I feel like it's stiff (also hurts my wrist after a while)
and it's like 10% chance it'll go in (even at low speed). I tend to just use punch or defensive chop even though I should do a backhand loop, just because of insecurities.
I'm turning to you guys because you might have some useful tips for me, or see where I go wrong.

I know that I have to loosen my wrist, but when I do that, I feel that I get even less control and more floppy.
Please help me get better!

These videos probably doesn't show much, it's just some highlights when I play with my mate, but maybe you could get a sense of where I'm going wrong.
I'll upload another video next week where you'll see my training and all my backhands, where I miss and etc.
But hopefully this will be good enough for you to hand me some tips til my match on Saturday.

(I'm the guy with tattoos)

2:01 2:16 4:34

0:36 2:42 2:54 3:00 3:44 - 3:52 4:42

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
I don't think your backhand is terrible like you write, but clearly your forehand is your key weapon. I might be out on really deep waters here giving advice, but I think maybe you should focus less on the wrist and think more about the elbow. Your training partner for instance is demonstrating the backhand technique quite well with the elbow placement and generating force not only with the wrist.

There are plenty of good youtube videos demonstrating the "elbow backhand challenge".

Another quick route is to join the "darkside" and glue on Antispin on the backhand :).

Reactions: Cypereze
You are probably playing with equipment that is to fast for You. I can tell that Your slow shots are not as good as Your hard shots. On BH I think lifting backspin is quite good but it seems like You treat most shots the same way. Try to shorten the movement. Upper arm forward and just move the under arm and the wrist. With such big movements its hard to get i position for Your next stroke...

If You want to change technique its a lot easier íf You use a racket that is a little bit too slow...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
The main thing that stood out to me is how the free arm (non racket playing arm) is not used which results in the stroke becoming unbalanced. Otherwise it actually seems like a decent BH especially on the opening loop.

The other issue is having the stance being way too narrow which results in the coverage area of the BH being lower than what it should be - so the BH is more vulnerable to sudden placement changes.

Nothing wrong with your FH. But I would mainly train on your BH, a lot! Do a lot of exercises, first behind the ball, then with sideways movements. In the first instance, pay particular attention to your elbow. It should be slightly higher and slightly outward. Your wrist should also become more mobile. Looks like it hangs stiffly on your under arm. Also "guide" your ball forward with your free arm.
Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I don't think your backhand is terrible like you write, but clearly your forehand is your key weapon. I might be out on really deep waters here giving advice, but I think maybe you should focus less on the wrist and think more about the elbow. Your training partner for instance is demonstrating the backhand technique quite well with the elbow placement and generating force not only with the wrist.

There are plenty of good youtube videos demonstrating the "elbow backhand challenge".

Another quick route is to join the "darkside" and glue on Antispin on the backhand :).

Interesting take! I agree, I'll look up some more videos about backhand and elbow placements.

I won't join the darkside though, I really want to get a decent backhand. Haha :D Thanks for your input!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
You are probably playing with equipment that is to fast for You. I can tell that Your slow shots are not as good as Your hard shots. On BH I think lifting backspin is quite good but it seems like You treat most shots the same way. Try to shorten the movement. Upper arm forward and just move the under arm and the wrist. With such big movements its hard to get i position for Your next stroke...

If You want to change technique its a lot easier íf You use a racket that is a little bit too slow...

Cheers
L-zr
Most certainly, at least it's too fast on my backhand side which I've noticed. On my forehand I feel like I have control.
It was gifted to me, and it's a really lucrative racket and has a nice feel to it - but as with everything, you need to learn to play with it as well. I haven't played with it that long, maybe 7 days tops. I do have another racket, which is a lot slower but with that one I can't even get the ball up with a loop on my backhand side (the rubber there is a soft one, I think it needs a lot more technique.)

Shorter movement is definitely a good tip, but it requires more wrist and technique right, as you're saying and I agree, that my movement is way too big and I lose my position for next stroke. Key point! Thanks a lot for sharing!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
The main thing that stood out to me is how the free arm (non racket playing arm) is not used which results in the stroke becoming unbalanced. Otherwise it actually seems like a decent BH especially on the opening loop.

The other issue is having the stance being way too narrow which results in the coverage area of the BH being lower than what it should be - so the BH is more vulnerable to sudden placement changes.
Oh that's a really good catch, you're 100% right. I do not use my other arm, which should be in front of the ball. Damn, might change a lot for me - will certainly have this is mind when playing on Saturday.

Do you care to explain the narrow part? I don't fully understand it.

Thanks for your advice!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Nothing wrong with your FH. But I would mainly train on your BH, a lot! Do a lot of exercises, first behind the ball, then with sideways movements. In the first instance, pay particular attention to your elbow. It should be slightly higher and slightly outward. Your wrist should also become more mobile. Looks like it hangs stiffly on your under arm. Also "guide" your ball forward with your free arm.
Good luck!

Cheers! FH is my weapon, backhand is my.. Yeah. Nothing.

Great tips! So the elbow should be stretched out a bit further and higher? The free arm trick might definitely be a game changer. Thanks a lot for your tips!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
From what I can see in the video your follow through is way too long. It looks as if you generated acceleration past the ball contact.

Please notice:
- Elbo position and using it as a movement pivot point
- Work of the wrist
- Timing

What is usually the most often issue you have with your BH from YOUR point of view?
- Goes in the net?
- Goes too long?
- No power?
- No spin?

Most certainly, at least it's too fast on my backhand side which I've noticed. On my forehand I feel like I have control.
It was gifted to me, and it's a really lucrative racket and has a nice feel to it - but as with everything, you need to learn to play with it as well. I haven't played with it that long, maybe 7 days tops. I do have another racket, which is a lot slower but with that one I can't even get the ball up with a loop on my backhand side (the rubber there is a soft one, I think it needs a lot more technique.)

Shorter movement is definitely a good tip, but it requires more wrist and technique right, as you're saying and I agree, that my movement is way too big and I lose my position for next stroke. Key point! Thanks a lot for sharing!
Backhand is all about underarm and wrist. No good wrist = no good backhand.

Cheers
L-zer

This user has no status.
i don't think there is an "obvious" problem with your BH. i've seen you make good flat hits and some good topspins too, both BH and FH. these videos are highlights and are more about showing off than helping us analyze whats good or wrong. Still we can notice a few things.

personally i think the stance of upper body tends sometimes to be too high and you're tall and its your N1 problem. we both have the same problem. when that happens you can't see the ball trajectory well and you can't play the ball well. you're then forced into passive or block mode on both sides. it also slows you in your footwork. you're caught off guard quite a few times in the video while the ball is not so fast. Keep your eyes as near as possible to the net.

to play more topspin you have to be more aware of your bat angle , keep it more closed; except against backspin ball keep the angle lower than 45 degrees and always brush the ball. if you're closing the racket angle, if you don't brush the ball, it will go in the net. so by being aware of that, necessarily you will develop a topspin stroke.

also try to start with the racket higher. when I do BH to BH drills im really focused on trying to take the ball from above on every ball where its possible for max spin. Its then necessary like when doing BH chiquita to have the upper body really low and closer to the racket.

When the ball is too low, then its more difficult, so ofc start with the racket lower to lift the ball more.

--
i notice also you are more at ease one step away from the table. At the table, sometimes your timing is off, because you don't make the small footwork adjustment to position yourself before playing the ball, or because you don't look enough at the ball, or your stance is not good and you don't judge the trajectory well, or you're rushing and just taking it too early etc...

This user has no status.
Oh that's a really good catch, you're 100% right. I do not use my other arm, which should be in front of the ball. Damn, might change a lot for me - will certainly have this is mind when playing on Saturday.

Do you care to explain the narrow part? I don't fully understand it.

Thanks for your advice!
The distance between your legs is too narrow, if it's wide enough with your height you can probably cover 2/3 of the table without moving much (just leaning to one side), which gives you a lot more flexibility. Usually you want something like 1.5x shoulder width (for me that's ideal)

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Hi!

I have an incredible bad backhand, I get zero spin and I have zero control.
This makes me extremely vulnerable when I play matches, since my opponents finds out about my weakness very quick and only play down my backhand.
I'm trying to practice the backhand, but I feel like it's stiff (also hurts my wrist after a while)
and it's like 10% chance it'll go in (even at low speed). I tend to just use punch or defensive chop even though I should do a backhand loop, just because of insecurities.
I'm turning to you guys because you might have some useful tips for me, or see where I go wrong.

I know that I have to loosen my wrist, but when I do that, I feel that I get even less control and more floppy.
Please help me get better!

These videos probably doesn't show much, it's just some highlights when I play with my mate, but maybe you could get a sense of where I'm going wrong.
I'll upload another video next week where you'll see my training and all my backhands, where I miss and etc.
But hopefully this will be good enough for you to hand me some tips til my match on Saturday.

(I'm the guy with tattoos)

2:01 2:16 4:34

0:36 2:42 2:54 3:00 3:44 - 3:52 4:42

Thanks for your help!
Your opponent, the dude in green t-shirt has a pretty decent BH. Why don't you ask him? Some generic / general BH technical advises:
1. Bend your legs, like do a half squat to lower your center of gravity
2. Make sure the ball is in front of you as opposed to ball slightly to the side for FH stroke.
3. Rotate your wrist as you contact the ball like throwing away a discus / frisbee.
View attachment IMG_5501.MOV

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your opponent, the dude in green t-shirt has a pretty decent BH. Why don't you ask him?
Some generic BH technical advise:
1. Bend your legs, like do a half squat to lower your center of gravity
2. Make sure the ball is in front of you as opposed to ball slightly to the side for FH stroke.
3. Rotate your wrist as you contact the ball like throwing away a discus.
It is funny, he is doing stuff with spin you probably don't even understand and you are trying to give advice. :)

Reactions: Lazer and Jim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
From what I can see in the video your follow through is way too long. It looks as if you generated acceleration past the ball contact.

Please notice:
- Elbo position and using it as a movement pivot point
- Work of the wrist
- Timing

What is usually the most often issue you have with your BH from YOUR point of view?
- Goes in the net?
- Goes too long?
- No power?
- No spin?
I think you're right! Great with those short videos. These will help a lot. Ill watch them while training to get it right.

From my POV
Most of them goes too long, there's not much power or spin.

Thank you for your reply, this will help a lot!