Info on foam rubber/sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The trick is to make the gas pockets/cells relatively the same size and not try to merge into one big cell.
It is the gas that is trapped in the cells that is springy.
An "optimal" sponge would have very little foam material and be mostly gas and their for lighter.
The foam material provides damping and the more damping the slower the rubber will be be. Damping absorbs energy.
The trade off for making the cell walls too thin is durability.
You can buy sheets of foam rubber/sponge and apply your own top sheet to it.
I have done this. Gluing the top sheet to the foam sponge needs to be done with care but it isn't that hard. The results were very good for the price.

different grades of foam rubber do "soften" over time. Kind of like the foam used in furniture.
Memory foam is elastic. Good TT rubbers are elastic. A hard rubber isn't necessarily elastic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
The trick is to make the gas pockets/cells relatively the same size and not try to merge into one big cell.
An "optimal" sponge would have very little foam material and be mostly gas and their for lighter.
The foam material provides damping and the more damping the slower the rubber will be be. Damping absorbs energy.
I have done this. Gluing the top sheet to the foam sponge needs to be done with care but it isn't that hard. The results were very good for the price.

different grades of foam rubber do "soften" over time. Kind of like the foam used in furniture.
Memory foam is elastic. Good TT rubbers are elastic. A hard rubber isn't necessarily elastic.
Sounds like a good idea and I want to try. Where do you buy a good top sheet and what kind of glue you use?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Everlasting "speed glue effect" was happily achieved with the use of pressurized sponge material (= COS oxigen capsules system)

S type = 42* hardness by ESN scale
M type = 47* hardness by ESN scale

The S type is reported the closest feel one would have with Tenergy spring sponge/.
Widely distributed on China market at affordable price/ Airoc Astro is an succesor to Airoc version

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Everlasting "speed glue effect" was happily achieved with the use of pressurized sponge material (= COS oxigen capsules system)

S type = 42* hardness by ESN scale
M type = 47* hardness by ESN scale

The S type is reported the closest feel one would have with Tenergy spring sponge/.
Widely distributed on China market at affordable price/ Airoc Astro is an succesor to Airoc version
Tony already told you these rubbers were rubbish 😂 😂 :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

Exactly what kind of foam have I to order to foambymail to try?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
In th US, TT sponge is easy to get from ColesTT or Zeropong but it is cheaper to by from a sponge/foam supplier. The problem is expressing exactly what you want and you might need to buy more than you need.
I bought several foam sheets of different thickness from Zeropong. I wanted to prove that adding more sponge does not make the rubber faster. I don't know what you would do in the EU.