Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I found the Ti Long FH vid - so a sort of forearm/wrist only open blade shot from what I can see. That’s my default BH loop that I’m trying hard to move away from - I’m consistent at returning balls like this but it’s weak and easily attacked. I’m trying to move away from this towards a more compact and attacking open up/loop that is more wrist focused and more rotational vs down/up.
The pancake is the foundation of a wrist focused loop, the circle traced by the swing is smaller in a wrist focused loop and is larger in an elbow focused loop and still larger in a shoulder focused loop. These descriptions do not mean that the hips are not engaged in all three of these.

The biggest thing is to get lower with your body and stay relatively low throughout the loop. This will keep the wrist focus. But the pancake is an important part of a good backhand against heavy underspin. It just doesn't look like a pancake for reasons related to how people look at strokes.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
The pancake is the foundation of a wrist focused loop, the circle traced by the swing is smaller in a wrist focused loop and is larger in an elbow focused loop and still larger in a shoulder focused loop. These descriptions do not mean that the hips are not engaged in all three of these.

The biggest thing is to get lower with your body and stay relatively low throughout the loop. This will keep the wrist focus. But the pancake is an important part of a good backhand against heavy underspin. It just doesn't look like a pancake for reasons related to how people look at strokes.
Got it - that now makes much more sense, thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi Wrighty... you got a lot of motion going on for this shot... lots of shoulder/torso twist... elbow moving to the side and up during the swing... (although you are making better use of lower arm than in the past)... this extra motion makes it more difficult to time impact and make a whip... it is also moving the strike zone as you swing... it just gets in the way of transferring power to the ball and making clean efficient impact.

Maybe you practice it 20,000 times and you can make it work, but it just makes you work harder doing it like that.

Your robot is set to deliver the ball to nearly chest height once it gets to your strike zone... sometimes you get balls like this... this makes it difficult to do your topspin vs underspin for slow/heavy spin... except a loop drive or hit

I would like to see how you do vs a medium to heavy underspin ball that comes at you with a lower trajectory... you see this more in matches where the opponent is not giving you a sloppy push.
Thanks Der E, given my goal of a more back to forwards compact loop (vs down to up) and looking at what ML is doing - what advice would you give me to help achieve a more consistent repeatable stroke. What needs to change from what I am doing here?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Not need to twist and try to get alignment on the fly during the stroke, just square your hips towards your intended target, do not torque body, bow forward some for leverage, go down and up/forward for the stroke, do not try to engage shoulder and upper arm in stroke, just set the upper arm and elbow, use the lower arm and wrist to go to the ball as you come up.

Setting your leverage like this will stop you from moving all around. It will make your stroke more biomechanically efficient.

When a player moves the elbow and upper arm during the stroke, it is moving the strike zone impact point... that makes it more challenging to get the strike zone impact point right at impact, it also saps power/spin.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@banbekas

You appear to have a good position, set good leverage, use your legs well, have an efficient stroke at the table, you impact the ball in the good part of strike zone, have good timing of firming grip, good recovery, good tracking of ball, good stance on reset.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not need to twist and try to get alignment on the fly during the stroke, just square your hips towards your intended target, do not torque body, bow forward some for leverage, go down and up/forward for the stroke, do not try to engage shoulder and upper arm in stroke, just set the upper arm and elbow, use the lower arm and wrist to go to the ball as you come up.

Setting your leverage like this will stop you from moving all around. It will make your stroke more biomechanically efficient.

When a player moves the elbow and upper arm during the stroke, it is moving the strike zone impact point... that makes it more challenging to get the strike zone impact point right at impact, it also saps power/spin.
@Wrighty67, what DerEchte is saying about the use of your upper arm is what I mean when I say you should improve and maintain your squat ‐ leaning forwaed mighr also help a bit. This will improve your swing and engage your upper arm less since you won't be dropping the paddle as much.

At a certain point, these things become more about getting something slightly better than getting perfect form and I am confident when rushed I sometimes forget to squat pr even do it half heartedly But if you get lower and get used to it even If only sometimes, some things will just get miraculously better because you have shifted the effort and precision from unstable and weak muscles like the upper arm to more stable and powerful muscles like the legs in getting ready for the shot and this makes a world of difference to the stability of the shot and to your options as well. Unfortunately in TT. A world of difference might just be 3 or 4 points a match vs a level opponent who is competitively adjusting lol.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
@Wrighty67, what DerEchte is saying about the use of your upper arm is what I mean when I say you should improve and maintain your squat ‐ leaning forwaed mighr also help a bit. This will improve your swing and engage your upper arm less since you won't be dropping the paddle as much.

At a certain point, these things become more about getting something slightly better than getting perfect form and I am confident when rushed I sometimes forget to squat pr even do it half heartedly But if you get lower and get used to it even If only sometimes, some things will just get miraculously better because you have shifted the effort and precision from unstable and weak muscles like the upper arm to more stable and powerful muscles like the legs in getting ready for the shot and this makes a world of difference to the stability of the shot and to your options as well. Unfortunately in TT. A world of difference might just be 3 or 4 points a match vs a level opponent who is competitively adjusting lol.
I can see that very clearly from the video - what feels low is not low at all! I am guilty of this on both sides so really need to find a focus to keep me lower as rallies progress rather than just starting low. Thanks..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello everyone. I'd like to post a shor video of me warming up.

The video is short because I didn't expect uploading it would use so much mobile data. I'm the one in black and any suggestions and critics are welcome. Thank you.
The level in the video is a good level, not many players below a certain level can loop with such control and consistency and many players even at that level and above sometimes refuse to do it. There really is little point in criticizing a video like that, any changes would require an understanding of what you cannot do with such a stroke and what you want to be able to do with a different stroke. Some might argue that your follow through is too across the body, but that might be me looking at the camera angle all wrong and I have seen good players loop that way regardless.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
@banbekas

You appear to have a good position, set good leverage, use your legs well, have an efficient stroke at the table, you impact the ball in the good part of strike zone, have good timing of firming grip, good recovery, good tracking of ball, good stance on reset.
Thank you for your kind words. Anything I need to improve the power of my stroke?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
The level in the video is a good level, not many players below a certain level can loop with such control and consistency and many players even at that level and above sometimes refuse to do it. There really is little point in criticizing a video like that, any changes would require an understanding of what you cannot do with such a stroke and what you want to be able to do with a different stroke. Some might argue that your follow through is too across the body, but that might be me looking at the camera angle all wrong and I have seen good players loop that way regardless.
I see. I would say my biggest problem with is I don't have enough power to end the point unless I play smart with the placement. Even when I was using Zetro Quad, I just felt like it was too easy for my friends to block my loops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I see. I would say my biggest problem with is I don't have enough power to end the point unless I play smart with the placement. Even when I was using Zetro Quad, I just felt like it was too easy for my friends to block my loops.
The first thing is the use of the forearm/elbow, it is extremely limited, you should leverage it a bit more to get more power/speed with a whipping motion - you are locking too much of your speed to your shoulder. Quality of contact and use of the lower body are also important to generate more speed, but if you are not going to lift weights, start with the forearm/elbow and see if the extra speed allows for thicker contact while still getting spin. And then, if that is unsatisfactory, get into the gym and add more power to the core and lower body.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thank you for your kind words. Anything I need to improve the power of my stroke?
Like others have said, I would need to watch you in a match.

The one clip you showed was practice to a designated spot at reduced power. You did that fine, but it isn't what you will be doing in a match too much.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024

Here's a video of me playing match as suggested by Next level, Der_Echte, and dingyibvs. As usual, suggestions, critics are all welcome. Thank you.

One thing for sure that I'm lacking is footwork. I'm quite slow there so training that area is a must but what is the best training approach for footwork?

The change from a boosted volant phoenix to moon 12 soft isn't working so well too. I'm still not confident enough to go hard and lift backspin with the rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Here's a video of me playing match as suggested by Next level, Der_Echte, and dingyibvs. As usual, suggestions, critics are all welcome. Thank you.

One thing for sure that I'm lacking is footwork. I'm quite slow there so training that area is a must but what is the best training approach for footwork?

The change from a boosted volant phoenix to moon 12 soft isn't working so well too. I'm still not confident enough to go hard and lift backspin with the rubber.
Where are the loops that are easy to counter and block that you are complaining about? You play at a decent physical level, probably at least as strong as many of the commenters, there is nothing basic you are lacking in, everything is subtle things that may not give you the back for the buck even if you worked on them.

Reactions: banbekas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

hi banbekas
you are playing at quite good level there showing a good idea of both bh and fh counter topspin
The one super obvious thing was that though you varied the spin and speed of you pendulum serve you placed nearly all of them to the backhand which, though it means that you become used to that style of play. it also means that you are not pressuring your opponent with service placement
If I was serving pendulum deep to the bh it would be natural to place a disguised serve to near the net post.
Though your strokes show a good idea of technique I think you need to work on your balance as in the faster rallies you would find yourself missing because of this. You could also work on placement in order to move opponent out of position. A shot to the middle to get opponent to step aside and then block into the space should work.. Try to block short and deep so as to pull opponent in then push him back. Your partner showed a good feeling for this
good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Where are the loops that are easy to counter and block that you are complaining about? You play at a decent physical level, probably at least as strong as many of the commenters, there is nothing basic you are lacking in, everything is subtle things that may not give you the back for the buck even if you worked on them.
I assure you sir, a week ago he blocked my loops like he's the second coming of Oh Sang Eun. I lost confidence in my forehand and that's why I decided to upload my vid here.
Thank you so much for your kind words.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
hi banbekas
you are playing at quite good level there showing a good idea of both bh and fh counter topspin
The one super obvious thing was that though you varied the spin and speed of you pendulum serve you placed nearly all of them to the backhand which, though it means that you become used to that style of play. it also means that you are not pressuring your opponent with service placement
If I was serving pendulum deep to the bh it would be natural to place a disguised serve to near the net post.
Though your strokes show a good idea of technique I think you need to work on your balance as in the faster rallies you would find yourself missing because of this. You could also work on placement in order to move opponent out of position. A shot to the middle to get opponent to step aside and then block into the space should work.. Try to block short and deep so as to pull opponent in then push him back. Your partner showed a good feeling for this
good luck
Much appreciated, sir. As you've pointed out, I tend to serve to the backhand side of my opponent. I personally think it has become a habit due to the matches I had with one of the members where she has this really nasty spin on her backhand push. It's so heavy. Being younger back then, I always wanted to loop heavy backspin just to brag to her. Guess I need to work on that now. Thank you.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
Hello dear forum members! Recently I kinda remade my bh and went to the tournament. Here is a video of me playing(I'm in the black shoes).
Some aspects I noticed:
1)I almost don't move to the ball and I almost always do BH opening to the FH(I win the point but it's kinda not on my own) . I don't get into position and often miss the ball.
2) WHAT TO DO AFTER MY SERVE? I think I should stop rushing and think where does my opponent receive my serves.
3) I'm able to do only the first BH loop but can't continue. How to fix it? Relax the arm more?
4) I can make much spin on the FH loop but I want more power. What should I do to make my FH more powerful? You see I have the movement from the body but my loop is just slow.
5) My weight is on heels mostly. How to fix it?