Which poly ball should you choose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I will buy some (once I figure out where they are sold). I very much hope that it is a re-labeled Nittaku or a ball made using the same process.
Great :)

Yeah, a Nittaku-derived DHS ball (if it is that) would be a leap forward. It would in fact be very good for the sport, IMHO.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I didn't test many poly balls as many did here, but so far the two of my favorite is XSF and Tibhar, yesterday i tested Nittaku poly ball and didn't like it much, felt it heavier and slower, but i can't review as my skills isn't good enough to tell the difference as others here, i play with my friend since 3-5 months ago, until now we played with same one XSF poly ball and i am impressed how great it is and it lasts long, we only play with plastic ball when we play games, but when we practice together we don't use poly balls, could be the reason why it lasts longer, but we play many games together, i mean we only meet in Thursday, we practice for around 2 hours then we play for another 1-2 hours, nearly 20-30 games.

This user has no status.
I have tried a wide range of plastic balls, I like Nittaku 3-Star Premium 40+ ball for it's durability and once you get used to it's hardness, it's not bad. But the plastic ball I found to be the most intriguing is Butterfly's G40+ which is the fastest among the other plastic balls I used, and it's just as durable as Nittaku's 3-Star Premium 40+ ball. This ball plays the closest to non-plastic balls. I had tested it's durability with some hard hitting rallies for long periods of time and the ball has held up unlike Nittaku's SHA 40+ Balls which break pretty easily or the regular plastic ball from Butterfly which is slightly more durable but it too breaks sooner rather than later.

So if you haven't tried the G40+ ball by Butterfly, you should, it's well worth it! :)

Reactions: Suga D

NDH

says Spin to win!
Had a hit with the Butterfly G40+ last night..... Absolutely horrible!

First Impression:

It has a weird metallic surface to it - It feels quite thick and heavy in the hand (and on the bat!).

Spin generation was very poor!

Reaction shots would typically be hit low/short due to the sheer weight of the ball.

After an hour of solid play, I wouldn't recommend this ball at all.

Durability seemed solid because it was such a solid ball - But it's so heavy, it wasn't an enjoyable experience!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

First Impression:

It has a weird metallic surface to it - It feels quite thick and heavy in the hand (and on the bat!).

Spin generation was very poor!

Reaction shots would typically be hit low/short due to the sheer weight of the ball.

After an hour of solid play, I wouldn't recommend this ball at all.

Durability seemed solid because it was such a solid ball - But it's so heavy, it wasn't an enjoyable experience!

Wow, that's pretty surprising. Most people in my area prefer it over the XSF40+ and also the NP40+ due to its enormous speed. Maybe you gotta give it a little bit more time, an hour isn't really long...

You've been the first one complaining about the weight though.
But could be, everyone's different. Still quite surprising actually....

Last edited:

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose

That's an interesting one. Out of curiosity, can I ask what was your regular celluloid ball before plastic balls came along ? For the last couple of years I played regularly with Nittaku premium 3-star celluloid balls and indeed our club still uses those for the "seniors" sessions. It's difficult to imagine that Butterfly have come up with a plastic ball which is even heavier than those were/are, but if they have then eeek ! Maybe it's time someone put a variety of new (and old) balls on a set of scales - does anyone here have access to the sort of scales that would be needed in order to do this ?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi JHB,

I last played in 2010 for one season, before that, it was 2006 - As for what balls were used back then, I honestly can't remember!

When I came back in the summer of 2015, I went straight into using plastic balls - Mostly the XSF40+, but I've used quote a few different brands over the past 12 months.

I was playing at Greenleys in MK (I see your from Buckinghamshire, so you might know it).

Although it was just an hour, both myself and my partner who is a top top player really didn't like it - Stephen Baggaley (Andrew Baggaley's coach and brother) also wasn't fond.

It's not a feeling you can describe very easily - But unless your playing close to the table drills, it's just not a fun ball to use!

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Hi JHB,

I last played in 2010 for one season, before that, it was 2006 - As for what balls were used back then, I honestly can't remember!

When I came back in the summer of 2015, I went straight into using plastic balls - Mostly the XSF40+, but I've used quote a few different brands over the past 12 months.

I was playing at Greenleys in MK (I see your from Buckinghamshire, so you might know it).

Although it was just an hour, both myself and my partner who is a top top player really didn't like it - Stephen Baggaley (Andrew Baggaley's coach and brother) also wasn't fond.

It's not a feeling you can describe very easily - But unless your playing close to the table drills, it's just not a fun ball to use!

Hi NDH,

If you've gotten used to the XSF40+ that might go some way to explaining it - they do feel light although I suspect a lot of thst comes from how bouncy they are compared to celluloid. The XSF is a good choice though, seamless was definitely the way to go before Nittaku got their production in gear. If Stephen B. doesn't like the G40+, that's also an opinion to be respected.

Yes I do know the Greenleys club although I've not actually been there. I play at Kingston - only the morning sessions though, I haven't graduated to the league yet. No-one's been daft enough to ask me !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Lol, one post did make me laugh! "The world will become a better place if all seam-ball manufacturers stop producing plastic balls and start produce plastic bucket to hold the balls instead.

??? iPhone ????? Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is good reason to hope that this new DHS ball is going to be an approximate clone of the good Nittaku plastic balls. This is based on their recent announcements. Also, it is based on the member of MyTT known as Zeio. He is very knowledgeable about table tennis products, seems to have an engineering/technical background, and also speaks both Japanese and Chinese, so a very useful person. He has perused new TT patents and what he has found suggests that DHS will start using some sort of new material and also (importantly) a new method for making the very small seam. You may have noticed that Nittaku balls have very small seams.

Not clear of course if this will cause the price to drop, but maybe in time. Also, since DHS make balls for many of the other companies out there, maybe the sport as a whole will eventually converge onto a Nittaku-like ball.

With all that said, I haven't obtained any, I am not sure if they are sold on any English (or European) language website. If anybody can tell me where to get them, I will buy some and try them.