Zhang Jike new role as a coach

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I was a big fan of him but he doesn’t seem a good coach to me. I’ve watched many of his coaching videos and they were very underwhelming. Only generic instructions, no valuable or unique tips that I expected from a grand slam winner. As a coach, you need to be very detailed and passionate about passing your knowledge. I just don’t see that from him. I think Fang Bo and Fang Yinchi are doing much better than him as coaches, at least the online stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Anyone who has ever heard Zhang Jike's post match commentaries from the days Zeio used to translate them will agree that if Zhang Jike wants to coach, he will be a good coach. He always sounded very thoughtful and reasonable when assessing the challenges. I haven't watched a lot of his technical videos but I found the few I watched to be good. I understand the underwhelm but I don't think those were quite the same as what Fang Bo was trying to do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Instructional videos =/= coaching ability
If you mean coaching in matches, then I agree, it’s different from teaching technique. But I don’t think there are coaches exclusive for matches. Most coaches need to train and improve his players’ technique, and it requires almost the same qualities as giving instructions in videos. I appreciate coaches who are detail oriented and Jike is very far from that. Just my thought. It’s ok to disagree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you mean coaching in matches, then I agree, it’s different from teaching technique. But I don’t think there are coaches exclusive for matches. Most coaches need to train and improve his players’ technique, and it requires almost the same qualities as giving instructions in videos. I appreciate coaches who are detail oriented and Jike is very far from that. Just my thought. It’s ok to disagree.
Did you see the video on how his father trained him to develop topspin by looping a ball on a string? What did you think about that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Not sure. Gambling is not the problem. Borrowing money from everyone was the problem.
But gambling was what was causing that. Gambling addiction is one of the worst addictions out there, it leads to stealing, losing jobs and families and often prison or even suicide.

I would of course wish that he can overcome that, if he can control his personal trouble he certainly has a lot to give to table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
To be fair we don't know if he is technically detailed in his teaching. He might be a more superficial coach who isn't willing to dive in deep but it could also be that he wasn't interested in making those videos more detailed and it was just intended as generic instruction for beginner level players.

You are of course right that being a great player doesn't automatically make you a good coach.

This user has no status.
I was a big fan of him but he doesn’t seem a good coach to me. I’ve watched many of his coaching videos and they were very underwhelming. Only generic instructions, no valuable or unique tips that I expected from a grand slam winner. As a coach, you need to be very detailed and passionate about passing your knowledge. I just don’t see that from him. I think Fang Bo and Fang Yinchi are doing much better than him as coaches, at least the online stuff.
Online content is not that profitable, and thus he is not gonna divulge his secrets easily when he can charge a bomb for private coaching. Isn't there a saying to not give pearls to pigs, they will simply get trampled on (aka the general public like us)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think a lot of things mentioned in this thread so far, doesn't really cover what a high level coach needs.
teaching technique is actually for development coaches.
higher level coaches is mostly about mental and strategy and how to uplift the player to a higher tier (technique is part of this too, but very different to youtube videos).

you won't be able to judge an individual on that, based on just watching "youtube videos", which will be a good video, if they have a good director and strong video editing team.

Whether or not ZJK is or can become a good coach, is based on the results of his current/future students.

Reactions: beeray1
says How much wood would a Clipper Wood clip if a Clipper...
says How much wood would a Clipper Wood clip if a Clipper...
Jan 2024
Making a training video is something completely different from coaching an actual live person, face to face. When you have an actual pupil to coach, you (get to) know their playstyle, strengths, weaknesses, the development they're making, how they are doing mentally etc etc.
I couldn't make an instructional video if my life depended on it, but coaching kids was fun and rewarding.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
No I mean coaching and instructional videos are different things. Coaching is more than just teaching techniques and fundamentals to people. Coaching is a responsibility that requires understanding the player, adapting your approach to their development and to their learning style, understanding their game on a very personal level, and helping them overcome themselves in different ways - whether it's physical or mental hurdles. Goes so much deeper than just teaching a technique. Any pro player can do instructional videos to the same quality probably. But plenty of pro players wouldn't make good coaches. Maybe ZJK is actually really amazing as a coach, who knows? All I'm saying is that you can't tell how effective he'd be as a coach (esp at the high level) based on an instructional video he put online.

tl;dr: He could be rubbish to average at teaching but amazing at coaching. Totally okay to disagree, I just like this topic a lot.

Reactions: NextLevel