Best multiball drills?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
No such thing, depends on what You need to train…

Cheers
L-zr
Ok, my weakness in games are often high balls to the backhand side, serve receive on the forehand side, finding solutions for weak points in my opponent and long forehand topspin to forehand topspin rallies. My trainer has also pointed out that I am weak at judging the length of the ball so as to position myself at the correct distance to the table.

My footwork (ability to move, not ability to perceive where to move) is probably my strong suit for my level, also topspin vs long underspin balls is something I handle quite well

Last edited:
This You can train with a partner without multi ball, except maybe the “week points in my opponent”. This is experience. Find a strong server and ask him to serve to Your FH. And have someone do a FH -FH rally with You. The high BH you can probably also train with someone.

I find multi ball good for composite exvercoses such as Falkenbergaren.
Also with small elements of unpredictability built in. But it’s difficult to ge get o good feeder not anyone can do this. We have a few in my club, but they won’t do it for free so I try to find different solutions. Generally over the season the trainers dishes out a good mix of exercises.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Ok, my weakness in games are often high balls to the backhand side, serve receive on the forehand side, finding solutions for weak points in my opponent and long forehand topspin to forehand topspin rallies. My trainer has also pointed out that I am weak at judging the length of the ball so as to position myself at the correct distance to the table.

My footwork (ability to move, not ability to perceive where to move) is probably my strong suit for my level, also topspin vs long underspin balls is something I handle quite well
If you are struggling with high backhands but your footwork is good, if you slightly anticipate the shot, you should be able to move round and hit a forehand right?

For multiball the falkenberg is a good one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
If you are struggling with high backhands but your footwork is good, if you slightly anticipate the shot, you should be able to move round and hit a forehand right?

For multiball the falkenberg is a good one.
No, I dont have enough experience to anticipate efficiently, which is partly why my footwork is so good since I always have to start to move to a ball at a much later time than most players.

One theory I had was that I have this bad habit of not perceiving opponents racket at the time of impact with the ball, and that this bad habit was formed from learning the basic strokes with a robot. I dont know if this is the case, since its really hard to be mindful of the actual cognitive processes that goes into awareness of the game. I dont think its my reaction time, even though it is probably slower than a 12 year old, I have always had really good reaction times and hand-eye-coordination from tests and from playing e-sports on a high level for many years.

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Over-using robots and multiball does prevent you from developing the ability to perceive where the ball is going by watching the opponents bat. You can always do a drill with a coach of training partner to develop it though. Slow (but deep), random balls where you try to win the point through deception instead of power.

I cannot see how reaction time can be the issue. Human variability here so so small that it shouldn't matter.

Also running to the BH to do a FH is really old school. It better be a kill shot, because if it isn't and your opponent just blocks it back cross court with decent placement, you will be in trouble. It's better to use BH from BH. Falkenberg is really outdated as it includes BH from FH. A lot of coaches just teach what they were taught 30 years ago and don't update their skill-set / knowledge for the modern game. It's almost impossible to play that old-school style anymore as players stand closer to the table, and the ball comes back really quickly.

If you have problems with high balls to the BH, you are probably playing too far away from the table and taking the ball too late. You need to get the ball right off the bounce. Otherwise your only option is to take it late even further away from the table - but this will leave you at a disadvantage, do I don't recommend it.

Reactions: z0uLess