DHS H3N for beginner

_ak

This user has no status.
As I see H3Neo is not dramatically cheaper than Rozena, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor imho, already mentioned Big Dipper is cheaper for example and not so dead, still less bouncy than Rozena.
You already have a hybrid rubber on BH, it worth trying it on FH side.

This forum has just too many proponents of Chinese, in real life you'll see much fewer of them (except of Asia of course), so the picture here is quite skewed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
As I see H3Neo is not dramatically cheaper than Rozena, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor imho, already mentioned Big Dipper is cheaper for example and not so dead, still less bouncy than Rozena.
You already have a hybrid rubber on BH, it worth trying it on FH side.

This forum has just too many proponents of Chinese, in real life you'll see much fewer of them (except of Asia of course), so the picture here is quite skewed.
I flipped a racket to try it for one day, I can get a better bounce for sure, but cannot achieve the same spin + my serves and short game suffered. I am sure I can get used to it fairly quickly though and maybe I will try another one (less bouncy one) in the future. However, I keep going back to H3 and liking it even more as my stroke improves.

Another alternative would be other Chinese rubbers people have been mentioning here, I already have Yihne Jupiter 3 Asia, maybe I will try it on my spare racket once H3N wears off.

_ak

This user has no status.
So I'd say keep it but be careful about a typical amateur pattern:
People develop a huge topspin stroke, at some point get the ball blocked past them much before they were able to recover, so they back up from the table, feel lack of power, make even bigger strokes, get faster blade, boost heavily and end up lobbing very far away from the table 🙂

You should be able to hit strong 2nd, 3rd, etc topspin as well in a match.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
So I'd say keep it but be careful about a typical amateur pattern:
People develop a huge topspin stroke, at some point get the ball blocked past them much before they were able to recover, so they back up from the table, feel lack of power, make even bigger strokes, get faster blade, boost heavily and end up lobbing very far away from the table 🙂

You should be able to hit strong 2nd, 3rd, etc topspin as well in a match.
I definitely found myself in this situation a few times during league games at the club, so I can see how it could be easy to fall into this trap. I am sure you have your own strategies and I apologize if it sounds basic to you, but my old coach would say to never try to hit a huge topspin if you are out of position. He’d say “you can still land it but it would be a fluke”. As I said before, his advice was not based on equipment choice so I am sure it would not have changed if I had butterfly rubber on my racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
To answer a few questions/scenarios here in one post:

1) Yes, this forum has a lot more pro Chinese rubber crowd. In my club out of 100 players, only 3-4 use hurricane. The untrained crowd buys Butterfly from the club coach/owner. The trained crowd (people who have played and trained for years) experiment mostly with ESN rubber with some Butterfly too. They also venture into hybrids but they do NOT venture into Chinese rubber.

2) As a couple people pointed out before on the forum, hurricane either orange sponge or blue sponge, has something special about it that Sanwei, Loki, Friendship and Yinhe (other Chinese companies) could not duplicate. I have tried Big Dipper and I did not like it at all. Yes there are cheaper Chinese rubbers out there but Hurricane is popular for a reason. Hurricane 3 orange sponge is something I played with for five years. When you boost the heck out of it, the sponge has this springy feel to it that is not quite tensor but fun to play with. Too bad the commercial version is really not tacky on the top sheet anymore. Three months ago, I switched to hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge and the closest to it is Sanwei Target National blue sponge. The other day, I got a batch of Sanwei Target National orange sponge from Aliexpress for like $12 a sheet. I did not know it was orange sponge (not blue sponge) so that's why it was so cheap. I have not tried it yet. I wonder how good that is.

3) With plastic ball, the ball is much slower than it was at the celluloid ball era. When you do a strong loop with hurricane and the other person blocks it back, you should still be able to recover. If you are not able to recover, then practice more.

4) No, you do not always need to use a big movement to loop with hurricane. Sometimes I just use the top sheet to loop the ball without engaging the sponge.

_ak

This user has no status.
With plastic ball, the ball is much slower than it was at the celluloid ball era. When you do a strong loop with hurricane and the other person blocks it back, you should still be able to recover. If you are not able to recover, then practice more.
Too bad FZD didn't know it when missed many "slow" flicks from Patrick, any TTD member could have nailed them 🤣

I think is a coach issue, you cannot change a Chinese/Taiwanese coach for an Euro Style play coach, he will always suggest tensor like rubbers in the forehand that is the style they know how to teach, the Chinese/Taiwanese coaches will always suggest Hurricane 3 to start they cannot play without that rubber in the forehand their whole teaching system is based on how that rubber works they developed it based on Hurricane 3 in the forehand. If this true(you have now an euro style coach) then you know what to do, if you like to play chinese style then H3 in the forehand is kind of a must, then you should switch your coach for a chinese/taiwanese or some coaches that use H3 in the forehand, in the other hand if you accept switching to tensor in the forehand and accept the euro style coaching then forget about using H3 is different. Thinking in a developing angle the H3 will develop your skills faster, and chinese/taiwanese coaching is more structured and developed than euro style which does not have a concensus on what is a good teaching system many euro coaches will teach you in million different ways. Talking about H3N is a good rubber for a beginner, is easier to play than any of the other H3 rubber versions respond perfectly to the commands in a natural stroke way you tell the rubber to do something and it does it with a natural stroke the top sheet is of more quality is soft and allow you to engage the sponge more easily, the sponge is already expanded(Neo version) which will give it more tension therefore easier to play. My recommendation: Use a PRO equipment from some players you like to play like for example if you like to play like Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, Harimoto etc. then get their equipment, you will work harder to master it but you will develop correctly with your future high level competition equipment this will cut you the learning curve, OR another option just start with H3 39 degrees 2.1 or 2.15(Better but heavier, faster you dont really need it at this point), a 2.1 Tensor rubber in backhand or an easier to play cheaper rubber like Rossena, use a very stable equipment like W968 Provincial or Fan Zhendong ALC, this will cut the learning time for at least 50% you will get used to a professional setup since the beginning and your stroke and playing style won't be weird. If you pay attention to the too many weird playing style players with wacky strokes is because they have a bad setup, too thin rubbers, bad rubber/blade combination, cheap horrible equipment and they learned to adapt themselfs to what they have.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nablaz and ttarc