DHS H3N for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Background: very much a beginner, have been playing for a 1 year after 20+ year hiatus from the sport (used to play on my high school team). Getting regular coaching for the last 6 months, 2 months ago upgraded from a premade racket to a custom one with commercial DHS H3Neo on FH and hybrid rubber on BH.
Situation: my coach didn't care about my set up and was very much "let's work on your stroke, equipment is secondary" mentality, but he moved back to Taiwan this May and I started training with another one (based on his recommendation). The new coach says that I need to change from H3Neo right away because it's a pros rubber and developing with it further will cause issues with the stroke. He recommends going European/Japanese route as it's better for development, preferably Butterfly Rozena or Tenergy/Dignics if I can afford them.
Frankly, I did enjoy playing with H3Neo because the spin felt good, short game felt great and if I had a proper swing, it felt like I wasn't lacking anything in power. And I also quite liked the price factor, now that I have two setups both with H3N on FH (one for playing at work/with friends and 1 for training at the club) that I would need to replace.
But on the other hand, I understand that the point is that with Chinese rubber getting a proper swing takes better legwork and core engagement, and a lot more training that I can afford to do, having work and life commitments. It seems kind of silly that you have to train harder to be able to use cheaper equipment (usually it's the opposite in other sports afaik).

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
I mean, Im a chinese rubber fan myself, so my opinion might be biased, but if I were you, i'd find a different coach since there are some subtle differences in the way you play chinese rubbers vs european rubbers, mostly revolving around hitting the ball a bit more in comparison to the EU rubbers.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lots of people start with H3, learn with H3, start as beginners with H3. I agree that, maybe you find a new coach who understands how to play with Chinese tacky rubbers. I mean, unless the coach is seeing something specific to you where H3 is causing you, specifically, to do something that will hinder your progress, and it does not sound like he said anything that was specific to you, then all the tons of people who start with those rubbers and end up going on to become wildly good players, that woudn't be happening if what the coach said actually made sense.

And certainly the coach is saying something that does not wash with what your previous coach was seeing as he was working with you or your previous coach would have said your setup is not working for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Lots of people start with H3, learn with H3, start as beginners with H3. I agree that, maybe you find a new coach who understands how to play with Chinese tacky rubbers. I mean, unless the coach is seeing something specific to you where H3 is causing you, specifically, to do something that will hinder your progress, and it does not sound like he said anything that was specific to you, then all the tons of people who start with those rubbers and end up going on to become wildly good players, that woudn't be happening if what the coach said actually made sense.
It sounded like it wasn’t specific to me, only in so far as I won’t have the time to master it since I am not a pro on the Chinese provincial/national team, who trains 40 hrs/week.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Btw, it’s not clear from your post but if the coach or the club you play at wants to sell you those new butterfly rubbers then it’s a major red flag. Even if not, I’d get a second opinion from another coach, preferably from another club
He is not selling anything and the club has a small shop that is run by other people who sell a bunch of random stuff, including DHS Hurricane rubbers.

There are a few coaches in my club so I think it won’t be an issue to find a different one.

This user has no status.
It sounded like it wasn’t specific to me, only in so far as I won’t have the time to master it since I am not a pro on the Chinese provincial/national team, who trains 40 hrs/week.
You don't need to be that good to use hurricane 3 effecrively. I grew up using Hurricane 3, albeit I played 6 hrs a week for two years. Im no national team player but I play better with it than any other rubber.

I would agree with your first coach, that it shouldn't matter what equipement you play, as long as you get the ball onto the table more often than shooting long or into the net. I've been in many coaching classes and nobody ever asked me about my setup. A good coach will see, what is missing in your technique and help you develop it, regardless of material.

However. If your coach thinks, that you are better of with a European/Japanese rubber, I would see if one of the other club mates has a setup that you could borrow to give it test drive in one of your next coaching sessions and see if your coach might have a point. What hybrid do you have? Would it already help to turn the racket?