Use of forearm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello everyone. In this thread I want to discuss how the forearm should be incorporated in the forehand topspin, and how you use it. In my observations I think that the european technique focuses more on forearm usage than the chinese does. Would you agree? How do you use the forearm? Do you stop with the upper arm and let the forearm swing forward, or is it more a muscular contraction? Do you swing before the contact or at the contact?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Whenever I think about using a specific body part in TT, like using my wrist on serves, or forearm to loop, it only messes me up and never helps. Maybe this is why I am not a very good player lol.

i think is nearly impossible to hit a forehand without using the forearm.

let me explain: i think is the natural way of the human body on forehand movement when you accelerate your whole arm, the forearm slighty bends on the moment you will contact the ball. when you are moving your shoulder and triceps forward, the forearm will slighty bend, this in a natural way. except you really lock the forearm you will be able to hit a "whole arm" forehand but this is not good, the technique will not be good and you will really feel pain in the shoulders.

so, talking now about european x chinese, is really difficult to talk abouth this. SOME (most) europeans players use more forearm and elbow as pivot because the rubbers and blade are fast ans just the forearm snap, good hip transfer into the ball and good footwork will give they a powerful topspin. ASIAN like chineses, hong kong, vietnam, north korea. Will do a more whole arm stroke because the rubber exiges too much for their bodies, so using the shoulder and triceps as pivot they not snap their forearms, they accelerate on a forward momevent, using a almost full stretched arm amplitude, they can apply all the strenght of their bodies into the ball.

But this is not a rule, FZD snap more the forearm, Romain Ruiz have a more whole arm style. And depends on the type of the stroke too, close to the table counter attacks is more forearm and less arm even for chineses. far from the table counter attack in some cases is more arm and less forearm even for europeans.

is not a contract, your arm have to be relaxed doing a forehand. i just use my shoulder and triceps as pivot and my forearm will accelerate upper-forward.

my personal point of view is: if the chinese are the best, i will study them and try to apply their techniques.

Last edited:
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Hello everyone. In this thread I want to discuss how the forearm should be incorporated in the forehand topspin, and how you use it. In my observations I think that the european technique focuses more on forearm usage than the chinese does. Would you agree? How do you use the forearm? Do you stop with the upper arm and let the forearm swing forward, or is it more a muscular contraction? Do you swing before the contact or at the contact?

My ideal forehand will be where my elbow is far away from my body and I will lead the swing with my waist rotation and my arm moves freely following the twisting of my waist. The arc of forehand movement will be wide. This is my ideal when I am in good position. I love this stroke as the ball trajectory is low over the net.

However, in real life, I can never always be in such ideal position, and sometimes the ball come close to my body, hence I have to shorten my stroke and pull my elbow nearer to the body the forehand forms a V shape against my elbow. As the ball is very near my body, I have to use more arm swing to create a return.

Hence, ultimately the use of forearm depends on the position of the ball relative to your body. To repeat, my preference would be where my elbow is far from my body.