Waldner stats vs Chinese

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Hello,Im from Russia (sorry for not good english). Im very interested in Waldner career. Have you any info of stats head-to-head record of Jan Ove with other great players,such as:
Wan Liqin,Ma Lin,Kong,Liu Guolang,Wang Hao (junior),Boll,Samsonov,Ma Long...
If it is true,that record Waldner-Persson is 49-51?? Amazing!
Thanks!

512971826_b6a79c73e8.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
The thing about Waldner is, his record against the other top players from his generation was never that great in general, but in the big matches its a different story.

I remember seeing him get destroyed by Samsonov in the rounds of the team event at the Manchester World Champs. Only for him to then make Samsonov look like a boy in the final!

Quite simply the best big occasion player ever.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.432128,-1.377623

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
1983 Wins first Swedish title
1986, 1988 European Champion Men's Table Tennis Doubles Team
1986, 1988, 1990, 1992 European Champion Men's Table Tennis Team
1989 World Champion Men's Table Tennis Team
1989 Wins first World Singles title
1991 World Champion Men's Table Tennis Team
1992 Wins Olympic Gold medal
1993 World Champion Men's Table Tennis Team
1996 Wins European Championship
1997 Wins second World Singles title
1997 Ranks number one in the world
2000 Wins Olympic Silver medal

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
It's not really fair to show a head-to-head results for Waldner vs Wang Hao, Ma Long etc. They're in a different generation.
However, if Waldner in his prime played against Ma Long in his prime, I still believe Ma Long would win easily.
Of course Waldner was (and still is) a legend, but too much has changed.

Although, maybe if they used a 38mm ball... ;)

Reactions: Lazer
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hahahahahha at last!!!! I found this interview with J.O. Waldner. The results below is from his interview. I will post the interview on a new thread. I did my best to translate and make sense of the interview..though some of his answers I couldn't make any sense out of them.

Liu Guoliang 4-5. Waldner lost the 1st 5 matches against him, and won the last 4. Waldner also said that LGL was the player he feared the most, especially his serve. After he figured out how Liu played, Waldner won the 4 matches.

Kong Linghui. Waldner couldn't remember the stats exactly, but he said Kong beat him the 1st time they met. Then he won quite a bit in a row before losing to him again in The World Team Championship in 2000.

Wang Liqin EVEN. It's even with him he said. Wang was really young then. However, he lost the last 2, once just before the Olympics 2004, and in the 2004 Olympics. Wang was at the peak of his game then he said.

Ma Lin. He can't remember how many times they played, but Waldner is very sure that Ma Lin is way ahead. Waldner said, after he figured out LGL game, he had a lot of problems with Ma Lin.

Cai Zhenhua 2-2. EVEN
Chen Longcan 7-10 TRAILING
Chen Zhibin 3-2 AHEAD
Guo Yuehua 0-2 TRAILING
Jiang Jialiang 4-8 TRAILING
Ma Wenge 19-5 WAAAY AHEAD
Teng Yi 23-7 WAAAY AHEAD
Wang Tao 5-1 AHEAD
Li Gunsang 9-3 AHEAD
Kim Taek Soo 12-11 AHEAD,ONLY JUST
Yoo Namkyu 9-2 AHEAD
Kim Song Hui 11-4 AHEAD
JP Gatien 22-11 AHEAD
Andrzei Grubba 41-20 AHEAD
Tibor Klampar 8-1 AHEAD
Zoran Primorac 20-13 AHEAD
Jörg Rosskopf 22-11 AHEAD
JM Saive 26-21 AHEAD

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
Hahahahahha at last!!!! I found this interview with J.O. Waldner. The results below is from his interview. I will post the interview on a new thread. I did my best to translate and make sense of the interview..though some of his answers I couldn't make any sense out of them.

Liu Guoliang 4-5. Waldner lost the 1st 5 matches against him, and won the last 4. Waldner also said that LGL was the player he feared the most, especially his serve. After he figured out how Liu played, Waldner won the 4 matches.

Kong Linghui. Waldner couldn't remember the stats exactly, but he said Kong beat him the 1st time they met. Then he won quite a bit in a row before losing to him again in The World Team Championship in 2000.

Wang Liqin EVEN. It's even with him he said. Wang was really young then. However, he lost the last 2, once just before the Olympics 2004, and in the 2004 Olympics. Wang was at the peak of his game then he said.

Ma Lin. He can't remember how many times they played, but Waldner is very sure that Ma Lin is way ahead. Waldner said, after he figured out LGL game, he had a lot of problems with Ma Lin.

Cai Zhenhua 2-2. EVEN
Chen Longcan 7-10 TRAILING
Chen Zhibin 3-2 AHEAD
Guo Yuehua 0-2 TRAILING
Jiang Jialiang 4-8 TRAILING
Ma Wenge 19-5 WAAAY AHEAD
Teng Yi 23-7 WAAAY AHEAD
Wang Tao 5-1 AHEAD
Li Gunsang 9-3 AHEAD
Kim Taek Soo 12-11 AHEAD,ONLY JUST
Yoo Namkyu 9-2 AHEAD
Kim Song Hui 11-4 AHEAD
JP Gatien 22-11 AHEAD
Andrzei Grubba 41-20 AHEAD
Tibor Klampar 8-1 AHEAD
Zoran Primorac 20-13 AHEAD
Jörg Rosskopf 22-11 AHEAD
JM Saive 26-21 AHEAD

Thanks Azlan, great info!!
Waldner is to table tennis what Pele is to football!
but China is Brazil!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
It's not really fair to show a head-to-head results for Waldner vs Wang Hao, Ma Long etc. They're in a different generation.
However, if Waldner in his prime played against Ma Long in his prime, I still believe Ma Long would win easily.
Of course Waldner was (and still is) a legend, but too much has changed.

Although, maybe if they used a 38mm ball... ;)

If the current Ma Long is born same period as Waldner, I doubt he know how to do both Fh and BH loop style lol.

Waldner is believed to be one of those european who either develope or become familiar with the attack from both wing nowadays. I remember I read from some chinese article, the China send KLH to europe to learn this during the young age. So that time, KLH has also some what known as chinese product of Walner >.>