[Oceania Olympic Qualifying 2012] Making the New Zealand team... and pulling out...:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
london-olympic-2012-logo.jpg

slide_211670_736376_large_large.jpg

The Olympics is the dream for every athlete, and it has been my dream and goal ever since I made the New Zealand Women's Senior squad. The Olympics is represented by every continent. Oceania is represented by the green Olympic Ring and this means there is a place for players from my region.

To compete at the Olympics the first step is to make the New Zealand table tennis team for the (Oceania) Olympic Qualification Tournament.. I'm proud to have achieved this goal, and to qualify for the Olympics would be a dream come true. There are Olympic 3 singles positions available through the Oceania Qualification Tournament, if two players qualify from the same country win singles spots they also qualify that country for a position in the teams event. So why am I not going to compete at the Olympic qualification tournament?....

Click here for the full article

To hear your opinions on this suitation would be much appreciated. Any comments and/or questions please leave it on my blog post as well, not just here! Thank you!! =) (it'll only take seconds to copy n paste your comment from here to the blog post - and it may help to make a difference .....)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Reading between the lines, NZ funding is limited and they want to only pay the athlete expenses if, in their opinion, there is a possibility of a medal? Do I surmise correctly? That is harsh. Ideally, any athlete qualifying for a place in the qualifying tournament or beyond that to the Games themselves would have their expenses to those competitions covered. It's not very...um ... sporting? to presuppose the athlete's ultimate chances at the competitions and base the funding decisions on that estimation.

In my heart, the Olympic Ideal is about the competition and the experience, not just the victory. But this is becoming a minority view I fear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Hi dici yes it is sad :(

Hi Alan, it is more about the fact that even if I was able to win the Oceania Olympic qualifying tournament and thus qualify for the Olympics, the New Zealand Olympic Committee (not table tennis New Zealand) has a policy where they would only send athletes if they have the potiential to finish top 16 in individuals or top 8 in the teams. So, even if anyone from New Zealand wins the Olympic qualifying tournament, we would not be able to go because we're not - for example top 16 in the world. But other countries do not have this criteria - Australia, Fiji and Vanuatu who are also competing at the Oceania Olympic qualifying tournament - they will be able to go to the Olympics as long as they qualify from this tournament, because their Olympic Committee does not have such criteria.

This criteria is also set for all sports - so they would compare a sport like rowing to table tennis - and table tennis players would know that it is a very difficult sport with a very high number of participation, as compared to another sport like rowing.

Regarding the funding - the trip is not funded - but I would still find a way to compete if the 'top 16, top 8' criteria was not set by New Zealand Olympic Committee.

Thanks heaps for your comments!! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
i ffeel for you sarah, i really do...
does this mean that li chunli will not be allowed to play london if she wins? how could she justify a top 16 finish???
its a shame, thhey shouldnt hve criteria like that, th whole idea of th olympics is that they are for EVERYONE to get a shot...
anyways, we shall see what happens and i wish you the best for rdj 2016!!!! :)

This user has no status.
Very sad to read this.. In my opinion it's just a stupid and crazy criteria! It's the olympic games so more than for any other torunament or event the idea and spirit is to take part and not only to win. If someone is good enough to qualify (whether it's because of his/her world ranking or continental qualifying or whatever) his/her national commitee should be proud to have athletes to represent their nation at the olmypics no matter if it's a gold medal in the end or the last place.

@Sarah:
I really feel sorry that this way you don't have any chance to take part in the olympics and I can understand that you therefore wont take part in the qualifying tournament cause even if you would come first there nobody would care, so that's real bull****..
How about the athletes of other sports in NZ? I guess there are not so many which are capable of getting a top16 result at the olympics but probably a lot more who are able to qualify at the Oceania qualifying tournament. So what if all the top athletes in NZ would boycott the qualifying tournament to show the NZ Olympic Comitee how cross they are about this stupid criteria. Perhaps it would get the people to think about it again and change something in the future?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Yes... this is the suitation now with other sports in New Zealand too such as Tennis and Badminton.....! This is even if they qualified directly through world ranking...

Wow, I am really sorry to learn that. This is a criterion for all sports? Despite earning the invitation through the Oceania Qualifier? That's just stupid, imo. New Zealand is being very unfair to their athletes with this policy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Thanks for all your comments! and in the past we had players winning the qualifying tournament and not being sent by New Zealand Olympic Committee. Actually I wonder how they came up with that criteria, since most countries don't have a criteria (the criteria being that you qualify through ITTF and IOC!).

i ffeel for you sarah, i really do...
does this mean that li chunli will not be allowed to play london if she wins? how could she justify a top 16 finish???
its a shame, thhey shouldnt hve criteria like that, th whole idea of th olympics is that they are for EVERYONE to get a shot...
anyways, we shall see what happens and i wish you the best for rdj 2016!!!! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Thanks for your comment..! Interesting with the boycott idea! I think it is important to realise that every sport is so different, and every sport gets different level of funding as well. In a news article about a badminton player - she got no funding, but still trained and competed self-fund and managed to qualify for the Olympics directly through world ranking (around 50s I think), but the New Zealand Olympic Committee's policy is 'top 16'......
And its interesting to think about how it can be changed because it really de-motivates athletes... since most athelte's ultimate goal would be the Olympic Games.

Very sad to read this.. In my opinion it's just a stupid and crazy criteria! It's the olympic games so more than for any other torunament or event the idea and spirit is to take part and not only to win. If someone is good enough to qualify (whether it's because of his/her world ranking or continental qualifying or whatever) his/her national commitee should be proud to have athletes to represent their nation at the olmypics no matter if it's a gold medal in the end or the last place.

@Sarah:
I really feel sorry that this way you don't have any chance to take part in the olympics and I can understand that you therefore wont take part in the qualifying tournament cause even if you would come first there nobody would care, so that's real bull****..
How about the athletes of other sports in NZ? I guess there are not so many which are capable of getting a top16 result at the olympics but probably a lot more who are able to qualify at the Oceania qualifying tournament. So what if all the top athletes in NZ would boycott the qualifying tournament to show the NZ Olympic Comitee how cross they are about this stupid criteria. Perhaps it would get the people to think about it again and change something in the future?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I feel sorry for you Sarah. The only thing that would justify such criteria would be an EXTREMELY (and I mean, EXTREMELY) low budget, but I can't imagine their budget is that low. How many athletes will represent NZ at the Olympics? Just the rugby team? NZ should be proud to have you and the other athletes capable of qualifying represent them at the Olympics. Really a shame :(

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I just think that the selection criteria does not fit the Olympics spirit of the games. What I don't understand is why they have different formats for different racquet games. The tennis format works, so why can't they implement the same selection criteria to other racquet sports?
The TTNZ by right should represent the players, and they should go all out getting their players to qualify and play in the Olympics. Players pay all sort of fees to get themselves registered in these organizations, so it is only right if they bring the matter to the top level of the county's Olympics committee, in this case NZOC.

I'm sorry to hear about the news Sarah, especially when I thought that I was definitely will be seeing you at the Olympics. IOC should make sure that most countries should be able to participate in any sporting events by limiting the number of players. It's the spirit of the game. Even Jamaica managed to send a Bobsleigh team in the 1988 winter olympics.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay Sarah, this is more than sad and more than stupid. The NZOC is completely off the wall crazy. Don't they understand what sport is in the first place. I believe the people on the committee who came up with that idea must have no idea what sport is, let alone what the Olympics are about.

Lets start with some major upsets in Sports History:

On August 11th of 1951 the Brooklyn Dodgers had a 13.5 game lead on the New York Giants baseball team. An almost insurmountable lead in baseball. And the Giants began to mount a comeback that lasted right until the last day of the baseball season where the Giants ended up catching up to the Dodgers, thereby forcing a three game playoff showdown to decide who would win the pennant and go to the World Series. In the third game, the series tied one game apiece, the ninth inning came around and the Giants were down 4-1. 2 outs and 3 pitching changes later the Giants were down 4-3 with one man on and the count 3-2 to Bobby Thomson. Thomson hit a line drive to a part of the fence where there was a 3 foot gap that was lower than the rest of the fence. The ball went through the gap in the fence and into the stands. It was a walk off home run that put the Giants instantly into the World Series. There was no other part of the outfield fence where that ball would have been a home run. In early August the odds would have been something like 100 to 1 on the Giants chances to go to and win the World Series. In the ninth inning with 2 outs down by a point, the odds were still not in their favor. That home run has been referred to as the shot heard round the world. This is what sport is.

Here is a link to more detailed info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_'Round_the_World_(baseball)

With this next one, I am just going to let the video do the talking. This is American Football and the Pittsburgh Steelers before they had won any titles. This catch by Franco Harris with time running out, was called the Immaculate Reception, I am sure you will be able to see why. The video is only 2 minutes long but well worth it:

Here is the actual, original broadcast of that catch with no background details:

In 1974 Muhammad Ali was scheduled to fight George Foreman. Foremen was a huge favorite. Foreman had not only beaten but flat out destroyed everyone Ali had lost to or even had trouble with. When Ali fought him I think he was an 11-1 underdog but in Las Vegas the book makers were giving 30-1. Before the fight newscasters and sports experts were imploring Ali not to fight fearing serious injury from the strength of Foreman's punches.

Ali won every round, destroyed Foreman, toyed with him for several rounds and causally knocked him out at the end of the eighth round. In an interview years later one of his trainers said that in between rounds Ali was boasting about how he could knock Foreman out any time he wanted. His trainer said, please do it so we can go home with the title and, to his trainer's dismay, Ali said he wanted to play with Foreman for a little longer first.

In Japan in November 1990, an "invincible" "Iron" Mike Tyson faced a nobody named James "Buster" Douglas. The fight was supposed be Tyson against another tomato can who would just fall in 1 or 2 rounds at most. The fight was viewed as being a warm up for Tyson to get ready for Evander Holyfield, the number 1 contender. Going into the fight, Tyson had seemed to most to be unbeatable. His record was something like 37-0 with 32 knockouts. Douglas was a nobody, picked for the fight for just that reason. The odds for this fight were 42-1. History and the video footage shows that Douglas dominated Tyson knocked him out cold in the 10th round. Tyson was unconscious before he hit the canvas.

In 2007, the 10-6 New York Giants (football), somehow got through a weak NFC division to play in the Super Bowl. Their opponents were the New England Patriots who had a 16-0 regular season record and were vying for a perfect 19-0 season (with playoffs). With the two playoff games they had won, the Patriots were 18-0 and the Giants, having gotten to the Super Bowl via the Wild Card route, had won three playoff games on the road bringing their record up to 13-6. The Patriots were a huge favorite to win this game and it did not seem like the Giants had much they could do to stop the Patriots inevitable 19-0 perfect season. But, with 35 seconds left in the game, the Giants went ahead 17-14, and ended up holding the Patriots offense and winning the game by that score.

I will leave out some of the recent upsets that have happened in the past year of players who are not in the top 100 in TT beating players who are in the top 10. You guys all know of a few of these instances. Right? :)

All these upsets show that there is something more to sport than just statistics and you cannot guarantee something like a top 16 finish. It is ridiculous and antithetical to the spirit of competition. And when you let the spirit of competition thrive, amazing things like that outrageously unlikely Franco Harris catch will happen. They are rare but they are what makes sport: amazing things can happen. As Yogi Berra used to say, "It aint over till its over."

But the Olympics are supposed to be about something more than this, they are supposed to be about something more than a top 16 finish or the end results. That is crazy that even if you qualified and funded your own way, the NZOC will not allow you to qualify and compete unless you can demonstrate that you will be capable of a top 16 finish or better (top 8 for doubles). That is just totally idiotic.

I would even consider defecting. Okay, I am joking here. But it really is crazy and unsportsmanlike.

And when you are talking about the Olympics: what about things like the JAMACAN BOB SLED TEAM. I think the NZOC is out of touch and should have their heads examined. Does an organization like this have a reason to exist if they would impose that kind of restriction on competitors who, fairly, by the rules, qualified to play in the Olympic Games? Should the NZOC be allowed to take an athlete who qualifies to compete in the Olympic Games based on the ITTF's rules and the rules of the International Olympic Committee and say, that is not enough, even if you fund your trip to the Olympics yourself you cannot go unless you are in the top 16 in the world or can demonstrate that you will be able to pretty much guarantee a top 16 placement in the tournament. Yikes.

The real question should be, what function does the NZOC serve if they are restricting participation by athletes in the Olympic Games to this extent?

Is there any other country you know of that has a restriction like this on its athletes who qualify to compete in the games?

I feel for you Sarah. I guess all you can do is keep playing and keep your positive attitude in spite of the NZOC which clearly seems to be doing the opposite of helping to develop sport and the spirit of competition in your country.

Now if sports did not have this element where anything can happen, and anyone can beat anyone on a given day, or in a given tournament, then there would be no reason to play the games in the first place.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I feel sorry for you Sarah. The only thing that would justify such criteria would be an EXTREMELY (and I mean, EXTREMELY) low budget, but I can't imagine their budget is that low. How many athletes will represent NZ at the Olympics? Just the rugby team? NZ should be proud to have you and the other athletes capable of qualifying represent them at the Olympics. Really a shame :(

I could be wrong, but I believe Sarah said that, even if the athlete funds his/her own way, they cannot go unless they can demonstrate that they will be able to place in the top 16 (top 8 for doubles). So I am not sure that the issue is the budget. Is that right Sarah, or did I misread something there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very sad to hear this sarah ! I am sure there are plenty of other countries out there who would love to have you on their national teams for the olympics. There is no excuse for what the NZOC is doing. Like Carl said , even if it was the matter of budget it could have been understood, but if an athelete qualifies and has a sponsor ready then who is the Olympic commitee.
Only thing we can say is don't ever lose hope, and treat this like one of the many challenges I am sure you would have overcome by now to reach where you already are.
BTW wonderful post Carl, I am sure it will inspire Sarah and everybody else who reads it .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I could be wrong, but I believe Sarah said that, even if the athlete funds his/her own way, they cannot go unless they can demonstrate that they will be able to place in the top 16 (top 8 for doubles). So I am not sure that the issue is the budget. Is that right Sarah, or did I misread something there.

Oh true, I think you are right. I just can't get to the point where I understand this criteria. Great post from you by the way :D Upsets are indeed a big part of the beauty of sports.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
It was Van Persie's fault - if he had put the ball into an empty net instead of showing off - it could have been different.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is just detail: on Bobby Thomson's home run, I said the ball went through a 3 foot gap in the fence. This is terminology in baseball. The fence was a wall and the 3 foot square hole in the wall was built that way for a film camera. But the fact remains that if the ball had been hit 3 feet to the left or right and it would not have been a home run.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It was Van Persie's fault - if he had put the ball into an empty net instead of showing off - it could have been different.

True, but Nocerino had a similar miss in the second half :p It is just too bad that Oxlade-Chamberlain had to be substituted. Arsenal were kinda out of energy in the second half, by far not as good and as fast as in the first half.