PDA

View Full Version : Ma Long & Xu Xin Catch Ball on Bat Trick!

TableTennisDaily
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I managed to record some very rare footage of Ma Long and Xu Xin practicing catching the ball on their bats. I dunno about you but I this is extremely difficult to do. I have tried this many times and still struggle to catch the ball on my bat with no bounce.

It is interesting, because many players say it's easy to do this with a Chinese rubber due to the tackiness, however you can see in this video that Ma Long uses his red Tenergy side and still manages to do the trick. Follow all my updates from the Chinese Team training at the WSA for the upcoming WTTC here. (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4810-TTD-are-at-WSA-China-Training-2013)

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/maxutrickball.jpg

Can you do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7Z4bQtsyY&feature=youtu.be

Pongfinity
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
That is indeed very difficult to do.. Hard to make it so that there is no bounce

T!Christian
05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
whats incredible is, that they put a lot of sidespin first... wow

T!Christian
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
is that philip talking in the background? :D

MDanielCRO
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I managed to record some very rare footage of Ma Long and Xu Xin practicing catching the ball on their bats. I dunno about you but I this is extremely difficult to do. I have tried this many times and still struggle to catch the ball on my bat with no bounce.

It is interesting, because many players say it's easy to do this with a Chinese rubber due to the tackiness, however you can see in this video that Ma Long uses his red Tenergy side and still manages to do the trick. Follow all my updates from the Chinese Team training at the WSA for the upcoming WTTC here. (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4810-TTD-are-at-WSA-China-Training-2013)

Can you do this?

Chen Weixing the coach :P

TTFrenzy
05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
whats incredible is, that they put a lot of sidespin first... wow

exactly! after several hours of practice anyone can do this trick with a no spin ball. But with sidespin it must be even more difficult, u need to follow throw correctly because of the sidespin so that the ball stays on the paddle

Daniali
05-09-2013, 02:18 PM
incredible

caze79
05-09-2013, 02:23 PM
exactly! after several hours of practice anyone can do this trick with a no spin ball. But with sidespin it must be even more difficult, u need to follow throw correctly because of the sidespin so that the ball stays on the paddle

Have you done it? I thouht the spin was the key to do the trick

WiWa
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Haha, the first time Xu get's it perfect, he's like 'did you see that?' They didn't. What's with his knee by the way?

decoy
05-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Ohh noes XX has a Boo Boo

Masta5
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
You just need a little bit training for the trick. It'll work fine after a few times

hanbang90ngu
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
i did try, so hard.

salehe
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I thought they can do it only with tacky rubbers.

TTFrenzy
05-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Have you done it? I thouht the spin was the key to do the trick

its a very good exercise that will improve your short game,hand eye co ordination and wrist flexibility. When I was training very often I could grab a no spin ball with ease. Now its difficult for me to do it, I need lots of practice.

To grab a no spin ball isnt much of a task after consitent practice, a ball with spin though now that is a challenge !!

mrrybnik
05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I can actually catch the ball on my bat, although not If it's spinning. It's hard, I've practised for some time, but anyone can do it. I'll go practise it with a spinning ball now ! ;)

UpSideDownCarl
05-11-2013, 01:30 AM
I am sorry, that is soooooo cool. I have to try that. And if those two are having trouble doing it, it is not easy.

dici
05-11-2013, 03:05 AM
talk about TT, I know alots of badminton player could do this trick with any shuttle cock. Including those amatuer player too. It seems like you had to follow a swing motion, but I just never able to learn it >.>

emel312
05-11-2013, 11:15 PM
damn... that's amazing

UpSideDownCarl
05-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Okay, I tried this, it is really hard. You need really good touch. But I almost got it a few times after a while. Not quite, but close. It is really hard. I asked Ernesto Ebuen, he is one of the best coaches in NYC, if he could do it, and he said, that it was really hard to do. :)

TTFrenzy
05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
well you have to be patient and practice a lot, I tried doing it by imparting small amounts of spin and still I managed to do it after 50-100 consecutive efforts lol. I suppose I will need 1000 tries to get it on my bat with maximum spin

Dan
05-12-2013, 04:37 PM
well you have to be patient and practice a lot, I tried doing it by imparting small amounts of spin and still I managed to do it after 50-100 consecutive efforts lol. I suppose I will need 1000 tries to get it on my bat with maximum spin

I agree, I have been using minimal spin and I can do it. We should all upload videos when we have mastered this incredible skill, to see how well we can do it! :)

Xete
01-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Im going to learn that!

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

darkky65
06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
doing this without the sidespin is easy a few minutes of practice will be enough. but with the heavy sidespin... My theory of the pros not being human is proven

Alborz
06-03-2014, 06:12 PM
I can do this with my H3 with almost no bounce because its very tacky. But with my Bluefire the ball bounces a few times on the bat. I'm trying to learn to do it with my BF but its really hard with a none-tacky rubber.

Dan
06-03-2014, 09:59 PM
I can do this with my H3 with almost no bounce because its very tacky. But with my Bluefire the ball bounces a few times on the bat. I'm trying to learn to do it with my BF but its really hard with a none-tacky rubber.

Send in a video of this skill your doing Alborz :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Alborz
06-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Send in a video of this skill your doing Alborz :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Its very difficult to do it with side spin. I have done that a few times after trying a hundred times. If i can do it with side spin more consistent i will upload that too.

Here is me doing it without spin. Sorry for bad quality. I have recorded it with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXHpdKgy_0k

Dan
06-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Its very difficult to do it with side spin. I have done that a few times after trying a hundred times. If i can do it with side spin more consistent i will upload that too.

Here is me doing it without spin. Sorry for bad quality. I have recorded it with my phone.

Brilliant effort that buddy! You have some nice tacky rubber there. Just read your original comment, it sure is hard with a Bluefire or European style rubber. I think its almost impossible to execute of this rubber from a side spin ball.

Great effort, loving the upload!

mahomedy13
06-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Well done.Good work.

even though its a tacky rubber,im sure it isnt exactly easy.

sampean02
07-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Gonna try this! though probably the ball gonna be everywhere! :S