Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The club i had adulttraining for liked what they saw so i will start being a coach for adults now. Next training is this monday.

What do you guys think about this? Maybe a little difficult but they do not need to play so fast.

The letter(brevet, maybe my fellow swedes can help me with an translation). Edit: as a warm up. Only counter.

2 bh 2 fh. Show bh loop fh loop before. focus on the technique. Edit: i have changed my mind. I proably will se here what they need to work on and just then do fh loop against block or bh loop against block for alot of the players.

short serve, long push to bh or fh and opening loop. two serves each. Explain technique fast. Try to read the spin and get the first loop on the table the majority of times.

Loop from the middle to 1 or 2 bh and to 1 or 2 fh. Blocking exercise. Good to do since alot of them push long on serves.. Explain what is important when you block.

they choose a strength. Explain the importance of a playingstyle, knowing your strengths and try to use them in a match.

Matches: win two balls in a row, and try to keep the serve. I scream stop.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes what you say makes sense.. I think I overthink things too much. At the end of the day it's up to me to figure it out. Maybe I should be happy with my FH rotation and practice this bh to fh transition. Unfortunately the good coach is only through online haha. We have a coach at our club but he doesn't give us that much attention unfortunately, he mainly coaches the beginners.
Thanks again Lula!

I feel that if you feel that you get pretty good result from the stroke maybe you do not need to change it much or not at all. Maybe you can try the things i suggested and se what happens and look at the video how it looks. I would have become a much better player if i did not changed to much technique i think. We need to practice one technique for a while to become good and safe at it. Now i am pretty satisifed with my technique and instead try to move well and play the same stroke all the time so i become good at it.

I think it is really important to have a playing style, know your strengths and how to play so you can use them. Then practice this very much. It is too difficult and takes to much time to become good at everything. I think you will win more matches by doing this compared to changing your technique. But of course chaning your technique maybe can help you in the long run.

Reactions: Richie
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Today I went to my doctor to check the pain that I had in my shoulder and in my arm. Fortunately he said my arm and shoulder seemed fine now, that probably my muscles were inflamed. He said to return to pratice, and see if the pain returns to stop and to make an X-Ray(Hope not)! He played tennis when he was younger, so he understood the advantage of a wood racked and a composite one :D and I said that my pain appeared with a change to a slower allwood setup, and I asked about a change to a composite setup I could make less effort on my arm. He said that I could change if I feel that I was making much more effort but I don't know, because I like my blade, though I don't feel it's as dangerous as my previous composite blades, but I feel the "safety", you know :D Well I'll return to pratice next week, wish me luck so my pain don't return! :D

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Today I went to my doctor to check the pain that I had in my shoulder and in my arm. Fortunately he said my arm and shoulder seemed fine now, that probably my muscles were inflamed. He said to return to pratice, and see if the pain returns to stop and to make an X-Ray(Hope not)! He played tennis when he was younger, so he understood the advantage of a wood racked and a composite one :D and I said that my pain appeared with a change to a slower allwood setup, and I asked about a change to a composite setup I could make less effort on my arm. He said that I could change if I feel that I was making much more effort but I don't know, because I like my blade, though I don't feel it's as dangerous as my previous composite blades, but I feel the "safety", you know :D Well I'll return to pratice next week, wish me luck so my pain don't return! :D

Maybe you can try a faster more bounce blade and see how it feels. Do not matter much what the material is. I see that you play with chinarubbers i think, and they are usually pretty hard but yours maybe are softer. But i still think you will get more help from tensor rubbers with pretty soft sponge. With softer sponge you get more help from the sponge and get more for free but will proably have a harder time to play hard.

As long as you can handle your faster set up maybe it will give the body less strain. And tabletennis is hard for the body so remember to warm up and do physical exercise.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Maybe you can try a faster more bounce blade and see how it feels. Do not matter much what the material is. I see that you play with chinarubbers i think, and they are usually pretty hard but yours maybe are softer. But i still think you will get more help from tensor rubbers with pretty soft sponge. With softer sponge you get more help from the sponge and get more for free but will proably have a harder time to play hard.

Thanks Lula :D! As long as you can handle your faster set up maybe it will give the body less strain. And tabletennis is hard for the body so remember to warm up and do physical exercise.

I will think about it while my rubbers are drying :) I'll attach them to blade sunday or monday so I'll have time to decide! I like my 7-ply feel, but as I'll use SP on BH maybe I have no reason to have a slower blade as I have a good FH! You're right about the tensor rubber, but I find chinese rubbers very pleasant to play. I don't feel I'm better or worse with it, my results have been similar, but I makes me change my attitude to have a more active play and make a better use of my FH and I've felt some progress on my playstyle!

Yeah, from now on, I'll never start my pratice without a good warm up!!

Exercise is always present, I make a 30-40 minute workout every day. It's like:

- Monday, Wednesday, Friday --> Footwork, squats, chest and triceps;
- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday --> Biceps, wrists, abs(frontal and lateral);
- I have a 30-40 run every week!

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
@Richie

I don't know what you don't like about your FH, its pretty powerful and its quite consistent you can hit many in a row.

If I may say - but i don't know if its very relevant here here my impressions (just that impressions, not convinced it's right at all) :

- even though you snap the ball very well and you need to relax to do that, it still feels you still look a bit tense and not relaxed enough. Thats maybe (?) one of the main reasons why after 30 seconds you get tired too much and start missing a few balls.

- now you are consistent with this kind of drill, I would focus to work on different things if I were you. Play more slowly but with more spin. Despite all your efforts you could not often overpower your friend. Try to score the point using a bit more variation. It would be a good blocking exercise for him as well.

- you can also try to improve your consistency even more. your longest series was 23 balls if i counted correctly. Go for 40 or 50 balls at least, push yourself. But to achieve that, you need to reduce the tempo and have extra focus. When there are 50 balls there will be always be 1 or 2 at least which hit the net and you have to react. 4 or 5 which go to more random places as the partner doesn't block it in the right zone etc... and you have to deal with your fitness. You're working on a lot of things when you set yourself such goals.

- Another thing i would focus on is the footwork. You are playing only on half table and you are tall so you don't need to move much to get everything back, but on the few balls which by chance didn't come in the right zone, you were wrong footed. I think you focus too much on power [which is ok] in those drills while you should take work more on your footwork , always keep bouncing and thus making one extra little step/bounce between each ball (its almost like DOUBLING the number of steps). Because the ball is in a small zone it doesn't make much difference if you don't but its a good habit to take. Slow down the exercise (putting less power / more spin) until you get the perfect footwork. if the exercise is slower focus on placement instead by keeping the ball deep and increasing the spin

I don't know your level but i don't think you need to hit all your FH that hard to score every point. However good footwork is what you will need all the time.

just some suggestions don't know if its relevant or not...

Last edited:
Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Then maybe you do not have the time to use the body more. I play somewhat close to the table so i do not have so much time to use the body alot. But i still use it, but not as much as people further away.
If you have time maybe you can try to add more rotating in the stomach and see if the shot becomes more powerful. I think a good way to force yourself to use the stomach more is to relax and extend your arm and have it infront of you. Then you do not move the arm at all, just have it relaxed and for the arm to go back you need to turn your torso. Do that a couple of times and see how it feels compared to your regular loop and look what your result is. This is pretty hard to do i think, but try! And then you can try to do the same but accelerating with the forearm when you go forward with the torso and are about to hit the ball. In my opinion a forehand loop should look something like that, the arm is more following the torso back and then when we turn the torso forward again we want to use the arm to accelerate and snap the ball at contact.

This is interesting to read, are you saying that the torso turns back and the arm follows a bit behind, then when you start to turn the torso forward again the arm acceleration starts then catches up and snaps at contact? Eg. like the torso "leads" in both directions. Please elaborate around this if possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for your suggestions Takkyu.

My FH is the strongest part of my game. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I was unsure if I was getting enough forward torso rotation which I've heard has been an issue. Maybe the lack of that also makes me look a bit tense as I stop myself from rotating after I've hit the ball.. I don't know.

Here I am intentionally trying to hit with as much power as I can to practice getting as much body as I can into the shot but you are right. To hit more in a row I'd probs need to tone down the power and go for more spin. Also I should bounce, yes.

Maybe the camera angle is playing tricks because I'm only 5'6, but I wish what you were saying is true, that I was tall haha ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This is interesting to read, are you saying that the torso turns back and the arm follows a bit behind, then when you start to turn the torso forward again the arm acceleration starts then catches up and snaps at contact? Eg. like the torso "leads" in both directions. Please elaborate around this if possible.

There are proably different ways to Do a forehand loop and it one of my weakest shot to teach since it use short pimple and smash on the forehand and i feel it is a little different. I can loop very well with inverted But Do not have as much experience doing it compared to other shots. I also find it difficult to get my players to Do how i want them to Do. I think many think they are rotating the torso back with the arm But they are actually just moving the arm back.

In my opinion i think you should try to move the arm and torso together. And at the same time Do a weigth transfer with the legs. Time them together. And i feel that you really not need to Do an acceleration with the arm when it goes back with the torso, it just follows the torso back. Then when you move with the torso to the starting position again your relaxed arm Will move faster because of the rotation and then at the moment at impact or a little before you accelerate and snap with the forearm. You close the arm from being open.

Almost like the same mechanics if yo want to pull something heavy from the behind, or a golf swing or a discus throw or a boxning punch. I think you get the point. In all of these they Do not use the arm they use the body at the same time to get power. It is the same for the forehand loop.

I think people migth disagree with me how to Do a loop and there are proably several ways to Do it. Like i Said i Have only been looping with inverted a couple of years, Maybe 8 so i am not an expert with it. I changed to short pimple because i was not satisfiera with my loop. I also found it more fun to smash.

If anyone have a good way of teaching the forehand loop please tell me. Have a hard time knowing if i should start with the arm or body and both together.

I think i Will work more on shadow training and rotating the torso and weigth transfer when they start to counter to they know how to Do this when they are Going to loop. I Will try this.

Reactions: whocarez
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der echte! Maybe you need to think What your strengths are work more on them and try to get that play in a match. It is hard to beat a player if you try alot of things and try to play different ways. It is hard to be better than the opponent at everything. I understand that it is good to try to find the opponent weakness and try new things if you loose. That is correct, But many Times players forget that they need to have a playingstyle to be able to play good and win. It is almost impossible to be better than the opponent at everything But if you can get the play you are better at you Will win. But if you still loose or Do not get your play you need to change something.

I think it is good that you change stuff. Many Times when We play the same opponent We get stuck in patterns were We Do the same all the time.

In General, this is correct advice. I actually think along these lines and my posts over time show that. (use strengths try to take away opponent's strengths)

I use my matches vs Sergey Scoobie Doo, who ought to post here on TTD, to develop my progress and improvement on my current needs and strategic improvement goals. (sacrifice current result for growth, but I still try to win points or match if I can) I am trying to apply my strengths, but there are a lot of areas I need improvement upon that will really make my strengths a tactical advantage IF I can improve in a number of them. That would certainly improve my overall play level.

I also believe it important for a player to discover his/her unique play style that leverages what he or she can do well and build shots, tactics, and play style around that to maximize that in a competitive match. I do feel the same way about that.

Yet, when you play a player several levels (or often even level) you are not going to be expected to always impose your will, that player is equal or better for good reasons. So, it isn't so simple to get my strengths into play at will at that level. I really need to be solid (not world beater, but solid) in a lot of fundamental areas to be able to use my strengths under pressure or when given the chance.

It is hard to beat a player if you try a lot of things and try to play different ways.

Well, there are a LOT of areas I really need to improve upon. It is the way of even relatively advanced players who are not elite amateur level. (Der_Echte will never become Elite Amateur even if he could be fully retired and do pro style training hours daily for 10 years.) I could name several of these areas right away without getting into my serve/3rd ball attack.

-Reading the serve
-Returning the short serve short consistently, then being ready to flip or bump short the short push or be ready to heavy spin if it is half long
-Stepping in to the spot on time/rhythm and flip the ball consistently-staying crouched/legs spread long enough (good luck with my old worn out hips)
-Dealing with the dead short push - do a dead FH flip or at least bump back short and not pop up the short dead ball
-Do a proper fast push off bounce deep to opponent's middle
-Be aggressive on 2nd/4th ball with a plan
-Construct the point increasingly better
-Make less tactical mistakes and try to make opponent play a lower level (take away his strengths if possible of not allow them too much)
-Land my opening loop with higher percentage
-Take a half step back and counter loop instead of always blocking ( I have a great counter loop, but can rarely anticipate the ball good enough to use it)
-When first loop lands and comes back, be ready to play 2-3 more loops to get a better opening or angle
-Balance and recovery
-Reading the impact better

These are just a few current improvement needs common to any offensive player. They are current needs for me and also strategic goals to improve. Match play vs Sergey, who is 2+ levels better than me is excellent development. When I land them, my flips and loops are very high pressure and are also developing Sergey's abilities. So, it is a good situation for both of us, even if I am a few levels below Sergey, I am an asset to his development too... that also helps me as I know in a match I have to execute and do it at a high level. I cannot get away with being sloppy vs him.

But many Times players forget that they need to have a playing style to be able to play good and win. It is almost impossible to be better than the opponent at everything
I also believe it is very important to know oneself, develop strengths, and a coherent play style that takes advantage of the strengths.

When I last visited Virginia, I did the elite league RR. I finished place 2 of 7 or 8. I won vs a lot of players who are higher rated by 100 USATT, which is 1.0 to 1.5 levels at that level. The feedback a player who never played vs me before was I looked old/fat/slow (duh-ha !! he was right), but played very efficient style looking like I always knew what I wanted to do and had just a few things I did well, but got all my points from them. (serve, serve/attack with heavy spin or power, blocking ball away) That is a real good thing when other opponents realize that although limited in ability or higher level shots, I can put what I do well together and compete at a level I have no business competing at. (unless I can consistently put that together) Lula, that supports the way you think abut style and doing several things well.

But if you still loose or Do not get your play you need to change something.
That is true, whether I lose to better players or equal players who just play vs my style better. It means I need to improve on a lot of things to be competitive or have an advantage again vs that crowd. It is the way of the weasel in TT. Players adapt to you if you play vs them enough and you also must evolve or get left behind.

That is why I constantly identify/assess and prioritize what I need to do to address them. That is why I identify current technical needs, tactical needs, and strategic development areas/goals. I am just not able to play often enough or get the few better players to be with me for an hour doing single ball from a box or multiball from a box with net to address these areas as quickly as I wish.

Still, the last year, I saw a LOT of improvement in tourney performance and how I play. My play over the last year has improved measurably in the critical areas you hold important in your reply. Maybe the largest improvement areas were being calmer in real competitive matches and playing within myself. (not trying to play style I am not good enough to play yet)

As large and encouraging as my progress has been, I really have so much to address and I am always discovering much more how much I didn't know or realize each half level I improve.

Reactions: pgpg and Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Played in the veteran league tonight. Got beaten up pretty badly by the opponents (average Swedish ranking 1700 which is about 2 x my ranking) but I managed to steal 3 sets. The highlight of the evening was that I managed to do an around the net loop but still managed to loose the point.

The footwork is really improving and I only misread 3-4 serves in total which is a huge improvement.

I really like my setup but I'm facing some issues with the FH when I try to brush loop the ball and it pretty much falls off the rubber (this happened 2-3 times during the evening so it's not a huge issue). I guess that I should engage the sponge more but it's hard to break habits that has been ingrained by playing with tacky styled rubbers for the past year.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Forehands look good Rich. Maybe a slightly more relaxed arm and a tiny bit more snap through with the hips but really it would be other parts of your game I would be focusing your efforts than the forehand power.

Cheers for your input. I've become too much of a perfectionist since I started filming.. now I'm looking at the details of everything lol. :rolleyes:

It will be a long hard (but fun) road to make the changes I want to make.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NextLevel said:
Yeah. Lula clearly needs to meet and play Der_Echte to know how to read DE's posts properly. They are really sandbagging posts.

I would like a public explanation (good or bad) about Der_Echte sandbagging posts. I think I am telling it about as honest straight up as it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
- maybe the FH rubber is dead and lost its grip ?
- maybe it was wet as the venue is humid ? or some sweat reached the rubber ?
- maybe the incoming ball had topspin and you misread it ?

---

how come your opponents are so much better rated than you ?

I've played with the sheet for about 2,5 months for maybe 8h/week. I need to replace it due to a crack in the sheet anyway so I will give it a go and see if it improves. Humidity is not an issue here when it's -6C outside :) But you're probably right... I probably mistimed or misread the spin.

The veteran leagues here is a whole lot stronger than the lower tier normal/mens league. A club can bring in players from two leagues above the current league so most clubs will have a team in division 4 and 2 and staff it using the same players. Quite a few players have played at a very high level in their youth.

I loose ranking points in the veteran league and win points during tournament (where I typically play a lot teenagers). It's sort of status quo :) I should probably stay away from the veteran league to gain ranking points but the atmosphere is really friendly so I can't stop.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Martin! I can imagine that you Maybe have the angle to close and brush the ball to much so you get a too thin hit so the ball drops of the racket.

I think We need to realise that the level of tabletennis in Sweden were much much higher many years ago so older player today is often very very good. So Martins leauge can proably have some players that is or used to be really good.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I would like a public explanation (good or bad) about Der_Echte sandbagging posts. I think I am telling it about as honest straight up as it is.

I think you do too, but you just might be pulling a reverse Dunning-Kruger — in which competent people underestimate their ability by loosing perspective upon comparably minor flaws and deficiencies. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I think We need to realise that the level of tabletennis in Sweden were much much higher many years ago so older player today is often very very good. So Martins leauge can proably have some players that is or used to be really good.

True. Last season Peter Gripler played in our division 1 or 2 times. He's no.5 on the Swedish ranking with a higher ranking than Truls, Lundquist, Källberg etc. It's usually not that good players but some of them are clearly way too good to play in the lowest tier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Okey. He is good. But it is very strange that he is so high at the ranking? How is that possible?

He is good, But not that good. I think i would beat him in a match.