Japan Top 12 and WTTC 2019 Trial, 3/2-3

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190302-00000252-sph-spo
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-03-03/doc-ihsxncvf9435192.shtml
...第1、2ゲームをいずれも4―11で落とすと、第3ゲームで大胆に戦術を転換。あえてサーブをしゃがみ込みに絞ることで、早田のレシーブのコースを限定した。リスクはあったが「同じサーブなら、自分の3球目も大体同じところに来る」と決断。
最終ゲームは5―10と先にマッチポイントを握られたが「ここまで追いつめられたかと思って。逆にダメだと思ったら力が抜けて、練習の時のような思い切りのいいプレーができて良かった」。
2年前も選考会を勝ち抜き、世界選手権出場を決めて16強に入ったが、2度目となる今回は格別の思いがあった。試合後、涙を浮かべた加藤は「あれから2年。いろいろあって何度も打ちのめされて、ダメなのかなって思ったりした。その中でまた勝つことができて、すごいうれしい」と振り返った。

...「ずっと五輪を目指してやってきて、最近もうダメなのかなとか、諦めた方がいいのかなと思ったけど、代表になることができて諦めるのは早い。チャンスはあるのかなと思った」と受け止めた。

大会4日前には筋肉痛の状態で荷物を持った際に背中を痛めるアクシデントも乗り越えた。黄金世代の成長も実感しているが「早田さんは背も自分より高くてパワーもあって。年は一つしか変わらないけど、上の世代でも負けてないんだっていう。若い子がいっぱい出てきて諦めそうになったりしている年上の選手たちにも、自分の勝利がエールになったんじゃないかなと思います」。19歳の意地と執念が、代表入りにつながった。
...After dropping both the 1st and 2nd games at 4-11, she changed the tactics boldly in the 3rd game. By limiting the service to tomahawk, she restricted the course of Hayata's receive. Although there was a risk, "if it's the same serve, my 3rd ball will come to roughly the same place" I decided.
The final game was held with a match point at 5-10, "I thought I was cornered so far. When I thought that it was useless, it was good that I was able to play as hard as I could in practice. "
2 years ago, I won the trial and reached the R16 at the WTTC, but this time I had a special feeling. After the match, Kato, who was in tears, said, "It's been 2 years since. I met many setbacks, and there were times I thought I couldn't do it. I'm so happy to be able to win again."
..."I've been aiming for the Olympics for a long time, and recently I thought maybe I couldn't do it and I should give up, but I thought it was too early to give up becoming a representative, thinking that I still had a chance."

4 days before the tournament, Kato's was in muscle pain and hurt her back when picking up the luggage. "Hayata was taller and more powerful than me. Despite being 1 year older, the older generation has not lost. Through this victory, I hope to encourage older players who, like me, were anxious, upset and lacking in self-confidence because of the growth of the up-and-coming players."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Surely Kato Miyu and Sato Hitomi deserve those spots. I was not questioning their 'competencies' and I hope they go far in the draw. Of course I'm upset cause I "fell in love" with Hayata's performance (and of course Hayata herself ; ) in Portugal and she proved to be capable of winning against the CNT - which is rare and utmost desirable in today's tt scene - sorry CNT ; )
My questions are:

- should the results in 2018 be more valuable than somebody's peak performance 2-3 moths before the WTTC?
- why not to have a round robin session - the Marvelous 12 style?
- why the wild card before the final eliminator?

JNT answered those in a certain way and I just think they were 2 or 3 times wrong. Not sure about the first one and I'm curious of your opinion on this.

Jan 2018
Post updated with another funny trailer.

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi,

Today, right now, Hayata is the best women's player in Japan. She is surging, very high standard on display. The major negative influence throughout the year has been injuries. The Chinese seem to handle this factor better than the Japanese. Plus, she is young and the future. Japan has always been too meritocratic, based on statistical calculations and direct competition results, not the more subtle distinctions other countries apply.

The Japanese table tennis ruling class is wrong here.

Jan 2018
The JTTA has announced the final lineups for WTTC.

◎世界選手権(個人戦)ブダペスト大会・日本代表メンバー
〈男子シングルス〉
張本智和(JOCエリートアカデミー)
丹羽孝希(スヴェンソン)
水谷隼(木下グループ)
吉村和弘(愛知工業大)
森薗政崇(岡山リベッツ)
〈女子シングルス〉
石川佳純(全農)
伊藤美誠(スターツSC)
平野美宇(日本生命)
佐藤瞳(ミキハウス)
加藤美優(日本ペイントホールディングス)
〈男子ダブルス〉
森薗政崇/大島祐哉(岡山リベッツ/木下グループ)
張本智和/木造勇人(JOCエリートアカデミー/愛知工業大)
〈女子ダブルス〉
伊藤美誠/早田ひな(スターツSC/日本生命)
佐藤瞳/橋本帆乃香(ミキハウス)
〈混合ダブルス〉
森薗政崇/伊藤美誠(岡山リベッツ/スターツSC)
張本智和/石川佳純(JOCエリートアカデミー/全農)
◎ World Championship (Individual) Budapest Tournament · Member of Japan
Men's singles
Tomokazu Harimoto (JOC Elite Academy)
Koki Niwa (Svensson)
Jun Mizutani (Kinoshita group)
Kazuhiro Yoshimura (Aichi Institute of Technology)
Masataka Morizono (Okayama Rivets)

Women's singles
Kasumi Ishikawa (Zennoh)
Mima Ito (Starts SC)
Miu Hirano (Nippon Life)
Hitomi Sato (Miki House)
Miyu Kato (Nippon Paint Holdings)

Men's doubles
Masataka Morizono / Yuya Oshima (Okayama Rivets / Kinoshita group)
Tomokazu Harimoto / Yuto Kizukuri (JOC Elite Academy / Aichi Institute of Technology)

Women's doubles
Mima Ito / Hina Hayata (Starts SC / Nippon Life)
Hitomi Sato / Honoka Hashimoto (Miki House)

Mixed doubles
Masataka Morizono / Mima Ito (Okayama Rivets / Starts SC)
Tomokazu Harimoto/ Kasumi Ishikawa (JOC Elite Academy / Zennoh)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Honestly, I have to ask. Is it wise to let so many players play singles, doubles and mixed doubles? Last year Ito for example seemed quite fatigued from playing too much, I think it was at the grand finals, right? Why let her play mixed doubles and not Hayata or someone else. Why do Harimoto and Morizono have to play all 3?

Look at the chinese. Ma Long: MS and MD, FZD: MS and XD, Xu Xin: MS and XD, LGY: MS and MD, LJK: MS and MD. None of them compete in all 3 events. Seems like a much better choice.

For example they could let Yoshimura defend his title together with Ishikawa. That would free up the 15 year old Harimoto. Seriously that kid is only 15 years old and they let him play in all 3 events.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Honestly, I have to ask. Is it wise to let so many players play singles, doubles and mixed doubles? Last year Ito for example seemed quite fatigued from playing too much, I think it was at the grand finals, right? Why let her play mixed doubles and not Hayata or someone else. Why do Harimoto and Morizono have to play all 3?

Look at the chinese. Ma Long: MS and MD, FZD: MS and XD, Xu Xin: MS and XD, LGY: MS and MD, LJK: MS and MD. None of them compete in all 3 events. Seems like a much better choice.

For example they could let Yoshimura defend his title together with Ishikawa. That would free up the 15 year old Harimoto. Seriously that kid is only 15 years old and they let him play in all 3 events.

This is not trivial. I am a believer that XX schedule hurt him in 2015 WTTC. The Japanese just don't seem to have thought about it in that way. Maybe they are deemphasizing going for gold in any specific event and focusing more on giving combinations of players a view before the Olympics. I am not sure whether you can field fresh combinations for mixed doubles on Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
It would be interesting to see the game Ishikawa-Harimoto against Ito-Morizono ....
For example, in Qatar Open ...
(But the probability of such a meeting, of course, is very small ....)

This user has no status.
By the way JTTA site just upped the selection criteria for WTTTC in March 2020 (in Korea)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/selection/20190309_h31_wttcpus.pdf

I wonder why they still make this competition in Olympic years. Its a bit too much and irrelevant to me.
There will be 5 members of which the 3 Olympians [which means it will be already decided by then], the National Champion, and the winner of an internal qualification event in Dec 2019.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Basically, kenta matsudaira, yoshimura maharu and ueda jin have been relegated?

This user has no status.
they were eliminated in the qualification tournament. they had their chance. they were not selected for doubles

the wild card was awarded to Kazuhiro Yoshimura in Singles for his results in ITTF opens (he notably won the HK open last year)

@tabletennisdan
@zeio

According to the ITTF site
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2019_WTTC_Prospectus_.pdf

if I am correct, the final deadline to submit the list of players was March 7th.

I've seen only the CNT and JNT teams. What about the other teams ? not heard or seen anything about them

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
...I've seen only the CNT and JNT teams. What about the other teams ? not heard or seen anything about them ...

If I'm not mistaken, Zeio mentioned a qualifying tournament in South Korea in a recent posting .....But without details and without final results .....

Perhaps the qualifying tournaments were in Singapore, TPE, Hong Kong, PRK ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
By the way JTTA site just upped the selection criteria for WTTTC in March 2020 (in Korea)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/selection/20190309_h31_wttcpus.pdf

I wonder why they still make this competition in Olympic years. Its a bit too much and irrelevant to me.
There will be 5 members of which the 3 Olympians [which means it will be already decided by then], the National Champion, and the winner of an internal qualification event in Dec 2019.

There is a team event (WTTTC) which you are forgetting. Those things still matter long term for players. And people get injured and you need a succession policy. Ideally you don't want to have it but it has to be on paper somewhere.