Multiball - LH Player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Today's focus was to move player to around 2m from the table.
Player is more comfortable playing close to the table and there is some built in magnet that sucks the player back into her "comfort zone".
To push a player out, it trains not only a wider footwork coverage (it is very tough in high speed feeds), but also train the power of the stroke and very importantly, the confident to counter attack when being pushed out in a real match situations.

1st video is a 2 point FH, away from table:
2nd video, she uses short pimples on BH.
again, forcing her to go the 2m mark and use 2 BH and then a pivot - the idea is to go from defensive position, into winning position. I did surprise with some 4th ball, to train her sudden reaction to wide FH.

3rd video is a common close to table speed play.
Service return by using a BH flick
followed by fast ball/s into her BH. The idea here is to counter either passively or actively - depending on the pace of my feed or arc of my feed or both.
PS- she has SP backhand

Any questions - welcome to ask and I will try my best to reply.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Lin training serve in a CNT training facility at some point around 2011:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2008%2016%20at%205%2015%2011%20PM%20png.png

If I had a wide angle, the setup would be similar to where Tony is training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ma Lin training serve in a CNT training facility at some point around 2011:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2008%2016%20at%205%2015%2011%20PM%20png.png

If I had a wide angle, the setup would be similar to where Tony is training.

There are tons of videos out there of Chinese national team training and tons more of all professionals training.
And yeah, the chances of barriers in between is maybe closer towards 1% than it is closer towards 5%.

Here is just one of the millions out there:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This is nothing personal just about you ONLY but I always get very annoyed when I see clubs anywhere in the world with unbarriered courts especially in a serious facility.. Of course I understand not all clubs can afford barriering for many reasons…a club that takes down tables with 12 or more tables cannot be barriered.
But with the sport & players getting faster & faster & players moving more backward & sidewards, unbarriered courts are always lawsuit baits IMO. But I do have some horror stories with some recreational centers & their politics with management who have no clue about tabletennis as a sport.

All good. I find this a lot of times in certain place, so I will sincerely provide an answer.

When I saw TT in South Africa (including many visitors from pro places has the same view with me), the first thing they ask is (including what I asked too), why is there so many barriers and so little balls lol. There are more barriers than there are balls, or the hours of play per person a week.

I think the chances of career ending between no barriers versus no shoes, no shoes would be a higher risk - since you prefer to play with no shoes - I suggest you to also have some good medical/personal insurance for that matter.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?27542-Best-footwear-for-a-beginner/page2

This is a full time centre, 90% uses for training.
Professionals or semi professionals don't use robots. At most, beginners do.
Robots cannot mimic human feeders in high level training, this is why, you won't see robots any where in high level training camps.
Side barriers honestly speaking, is useless in stopping balls, since each table uses over 300 balls at a time. And the amount of power in those shots, side barriers can't stop every one.

I see that you are American.
Sally Moyland, Darryl Tsao (in case you don't know then, are USA national players) spent MANY hours in this same centre. Many other Pros in the world top 10, top 100 etc has also spent many days, if not thousands of days in it.

This centre has been going strong for 16 years, between 30 to 50 hours of action a week (around 45 weeks a year - can't be 52, because 1~2 weeks holiday, and around 4 weeks of tournaments every year) and then 10s of thousands of balls damaged by standing on it over the years. So far not a single injury and I hope that continues.
Of the hundreds of centre I know, it all looks the same and honestly speaking - have not heard of a single injury from standing on balls.

I do suggest you to play wearing shoes though.
Other than injury prevention, you will have better grip and better movement. Which is key to proper technique and higher level play.

I guess running a recreational centre is very different to high level training centres. You can't use the professional knowledge of managing one to manage another.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

There are tons of videos out there of Chinese national team training and tons more of all professionals training.
And yeah, the chances of barriers in between is maybe closer towards 1% than it is closer towards 5%.

Here is just one of the millions out there:

Yep. And I was just showing PsiBeta that where you are training is the standard for professional training. And he is talking about clubs for amateurs. You explained it pretty fully in your answer to him though.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Yep. And I was just showing PsiBeta that where you are training is the standard for professional training. And he is talking about clubs for amateurs. You explained it pretty fully in your answer to him though.

Yeah.
after visiting over 20 countries, I sort of summarized, if I see a centre that is properly barriered, then it is mostly for amateurs use.
If I see a centre that is suited for training, it is mostly for semi pro and up.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah.
after visiting over 20 countries, I sort of summarized, if I see a centre that is properly barriered, then it is mostly for amateurs use.
If I see a centre that is suited for training, it is mostly for semi pro and up.

And since it was SJan trying to troll people into arguments.....we both were wasting our time on him. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
And since it was SJan trying to troll people into arguments.....we both were wasting our time on him. :)

My first reaction was troll like behavior, but thought, let me still reply sincerely - for the sake or new comers who haven't been to pro environment before.

I guess some TT trolls should spend more time on the table tennis table and less time on the computer table and maybe while it, give the purpose of life a good thought too.