Anti-Rubbers vs Pimples

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Hello!

What is the difference between the anti rubbers and pimples (regardless length)? What advantages and disadvantages each has? What can each be best used for? Which could be better overall?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hello!

What is the difference between the anti rubbers and pimples (regardless length)?
That is a question with a very long answer. Try searching through the OOAK forum.

What advantages and disadvantages each has?
SP are the closest to playing with inverted
MP are almost useless in my opinion because they are too much of a compromise between SP and LP
There are many types of LP. Some are good for chopping, Some are good for push blocking.
You could have asked just about the differences between LPs
Anti gets the spin reversal of LPs depending on the exact type. Again, there are many different antis. The German "frictionless" antis have hard rubber and dead sponges whereas the Japanese antis are a little softer. Anti is easier to play with than LP as there are no pips to bend. Also anti rubbers usually have dead sponges that are good flow blocking short and slow down the pace of a rally. This can be done with LP 0X with "soft hands". "Soft hands" is where you hold the paddle more loosely and even draw back the LP to absorb some of the impact and reduce impact speed. A little bit will go a long way and it takes practice to block a loop kill short.

What can each be best used for? Which could be better overall?
SP are good for attacking. SP works well on the BH.
MP are good for covering the paddle.
LP with sponge are good for chopping / defensive. Hitting is tricky.
LP 0X are good for push blocking. Hitting is tricky.
Anti are good for blocking short and slowing down the pace of the rallies. Anti rubber is relative easy to learn how to play with unlike LP but again, hitting is more difficult like with LP.
Anti rubbers don't have pips that bend and change the grip/ spin. This is why anti is easier to play with than LP

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Want to add on to brokenball above.

Don't be confused about medium pips per say.
The greatest player of all time used MP to win many titles and retire by age 25.
Till today, no single male or female athlete has the medal/trophy count as she had, and many are still attempting at age 30+. She is also the first (if not one of the first) to get a PHD related to table tennis, so both a world champion and a respective academic.

So medium pips is no where close to be useless or just a covering.

From modern table tennis, MP is uses more for attacks to win point, but can still use it like longer ones to slow the ball down.

LP ox for no hitting but push blocking is also questionable, as higher level LP push blockers has "offensive push blocking", which is a very high threat shot. A lot of people think of hitting as a flat hit shot, but I think in the offensive push blocking example, it is considered a "hit" to me.

At of the day, in higher level play, pips or anti are not really there to trick the play and win the point straight off 1 contact, but rather to make it into strategies in rallies to open up for offensive opportunities.

In amateur circles, it is more common to win the point straight on

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Want to add on to brokenball above.

Don't be confused about medium pips per say.
The greatest player of all time used MP to win many titles and retire by age 25.
Till today, no single male or female athlete has the medal/trophy count as she had, and many are still attempting at age 30+. She is also the first (if not one of the first) to get a PHD related to table tennis, so both a world champion and a respective academic.

Who what that?

So medium pips is no where close to be useless or just a covering.
What can MP do that another rubber can't do better?

From modern table tennis, MP is uses more for attacks to win point,
In theory any rubber can do that. What makes MP so special?

but can still use it like longer ones to slow the ball down.
This depends on the sponge and blade. Anti rubbers are better for this.

LP ox for no hitting but push blocking is also questionable, as higher level LP push blockers has "offensive push blocking", which is a very high threat shot. A lot of people think of hitting as a flat hit shot, but I think in the offensive push blocking example, it is considered a "hit" to me.
Are you redefining hit?
if there is a line of sight shot then anything will do but if the ball is low, it is hard to hit back a top spin ball with LP 0X. A little sponge makes hitting easier.
Normally the incoming ball will have top spin so it will go back with back spin. The back spin will cause the ball to tend to float due to the Magnus effect. If the ball is "hit" too hard the ball "floats" off the end of the table before air resistance can slow down the ball enough so that gravity can make the ball drop enough to land on the table.

What can MP do that another rubber can't do better?
Resist incoming spin and being fast at the same time, ask Mattias Falck. He’s playing with short pips but they are similar.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
"Who what that" what?
tongue twister?

In theory all rubbers are just a covering, same as MP lol

End of the day, a good player can use MP like anti or LP, a bad player with anti or LP is close to useless too.
equipment is kindof nothing, without a skilled user.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Sorry guys I didnt see the date on this thread. I swear it popped up near the top of my latest threads page, probably just technical incompetence on my part though.🙄