China Smash 2026, Beijing, 10/1-11

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
Not really.

If WCQ returns to his previous form after his injury recovery, he's the clear best. His head to head records over the last 2 years speaks for itself.

Harimoto, Truls and Hugo all have some bad matchups that haunt them in that list.

Felix, Sora and LYJ are better in that regard, though LYJ seems to make inexplicable early exits from tournaments more than both of those 2.
Correct regarding WCQ. Special individual.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2025
251
378
1,083
It's Sora, WCQ and Truls as the Federer/Novak/Nadal of TT.
Felix will be the Andy Murray or Stan Wawrinka. Absolutely superb but only on his week.
I'll have whatever this guy is smoking

Not to be rude but, neither of these 3 are even close to the level of dominance to be compared that way.

Truls especially has been inconsistent over the last 12 months and his smash win was also when WCQ in peak form was not in attendance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel and J-fed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2019
2,834
5,697
11,439
Hmmm. I'm not in agreement here. Depends on the gravity of the occasion. Also I don't see Hugo winning a big one and Harimoto is a bit lacking. Love 'em all but it's Sora, WCQ and Truls as the Federer/Novak/Nadal of TT.
Felix will be the Andy Murray or Stan Wawrinka. Absolutely superb but only on his week.
Regarding Harimoto, he just beat WCQ at the Asian Games putting Japan in position to take the Men's Team title. Sora completed the team victory with a win over WRB. He's fully capable of beating anyone on a given day.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel and J-fed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Apr 2026
91
89
192
Hmmm. I'm not in agreement here. Depends on the gravity of the occasion. Also I don't see Hugo winning a big one and Harimoto is a bit lacking. Love 'em all but it's Sora, WCQ and Truls as the Federer/Novak/Nadal of TT.
Felix will be the Andy Murray or Stan Wawrinka. Absolutely superb but only on his week.
Hugo has already won the world cup, which is considered a big tournament. So you are already wrong
 
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel and J-fed
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2018
13,818
13,330
30,531
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2025
254
438
852
Sometimes I wonder - why doesn't Truls use short pips on BH? Seems like they would fit his backhand very well. Obviously he's one of the best pros in the world and knows what's best for him. I'm just curious about the logic here.
Because his strengths on the backhand are feeling and variation (both in spin and speed). Both would be hindered by short pips.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel and J-fed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
I'll have whatever this guy is smoking

Not to be rude but, neither of these 3 are even close to the level of dominance to be compared that way.
No worries. I'm projecting probabilities. TT now is currently more like 2000s tennis with Agassi, Sampras and all the others in the mix so my analogy was off. The sport seems gloriously progressive and still the element of surprise exists.
Truls especially has been inconsistent over the last 12 months and his smash win was also when WCQ in peak form was not in attendance.
Decent point. Truls battled through injury. WCQ? He's shown he is dominant when tuned to the most important tournament but I'm uncommitted and not informed as to whether these pull outs are physical, tactical or fear based. Just it's clear he is special.
Sora is the shiznit too, and I see him a bit above Felix for the next few years. Not sure beyond that. Physiology is a reality.
Truls has been impressive in all areas but can be a bit Agassi. He's also now slimming down. Just whether he remains in love with TT I'm not sure.
These 3 are my elite. Zero surprise if Felix and a few others also trade titles wth them. TT is peaking now like tennis was back then.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
Hugo has already won the world cup, which is considered a big tournament. So you are already wrong
Great point. I lack knowledge in the recent history FS.
Appelgren did too. My absolute favorite player. he was not up with the top 4 though.
Push comes to shove. I think Hugo is a flat track bully.
Apologies for the edit.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: pingpongnerd
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
Because his strengths on the backhand are feeling and variation (both in spin and speed). Both would be hindered by short pips.
Yeah, that wipe up BH and the chop block would not be effective.
Incidentally, I'm practicing that chop block a bit lately with the LP and it's hideous. Not a good trade off at pro level though.
He's good with reverse imo.
 
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2018
13,818
13,330
30,531
WTT China Smash 2026 - For giant infants
WTA China Open 2026 - For true adults

WS F
Zheng Qinwen 2-0 Andreeva (7-5, 6-4)
First final as well as first title for a player from China after 20 editions.

E9RSuAgh.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
A lot of stupid comments i the thread lately like Felix and Hugo not strong enough for a big title or comparing players with the three big in tennis. These stupid commentators is not worthy this forum.
You can reply directly to me if you like.
I'm a reasonable guy.
I also notice you avoid my spot on perspectives. Eg. today's final.
Anyway. I'm here to enjoy the wider sport. If I'm not worthy and souring the atmosphere, I'll bow out. No problems.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
436
273
1,081
View attachment 43753

Is there any truth to this?
Let's look back in ten years. Were all those tournament wins due to devious quasi-cheating? Hell no.
Seems to me all sports are the same. the fan base is gonna throw shade on the top guys and 'reasons' are always there to make it possible.
They both played great. Sora won.
 
Top