a

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Stiga blades and limba is a recipe for disaster. Seal them before use. I have 2 clippers, 2 azaleas and both have splintered, especially the clippers got almost destroyed. If you want to play with stiga, get one of their newer blades and stay away from limba. Also use less glue than you normally use, just to be safe.

Reactions: JeffreyMG
says Inner Carbon is King
says Inner Carbon is King
Jun 2023
Stiga blades and limba is a recipe for disaster. Seal them before use. I have 2 clippers, 2 azaleas and both have splintered, especially the clippers got almost destroyed. If you want to play with stiga, get one of their newer blades and stay away from limba. Also use less glue than you normally use, just to be safe.
I had an infinity. I dont know whether the outerply was limba or not but the quality was amazing. Comfy handle, no splintering, even after regluing several times. It has one chip in it but that was from banging it on a table on a half long. Was presealed tho by tt11

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I had an infinity. I dont know whether the outerply was limba or not but the quality was amazing. Comfy handle, no splintering, even after regluing several times. It has one chip in it but that was from banging it on a table on a half long. Was presealed tho by tt11
It's not splintering precisely because it's sealed by tt11. Infinity is known to splinter real bad.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Only Stiga blade I have ever used, that has not splintered without sealer, is Clipper CR- and thats because the CR coating is essentially just a layer of sealer

says Fzding around...
says Fzding around...
Mar 2020
Read 1 reviews
My racquet splinters every time I take the rubber off. I'm talking about Cybershape Carbon and Inspira. I refuse to seal it because the lacquer changes the playing characteristics significantly.
Furthermore, it is completely unacceptable for this to happen on a premium product for which we pay a premium price. Btw, Butterfly Freitas ALC also has limba and I've never had any problems. Simply, the production process is superior, as is the quality of the veneer.

Community Verified icon

Jul 2014
My racquet splinters every time I take the rubber off. I'm talking about Cybershape Carbon and Inspira. I refuse to seal it because the lacquer changes the playing characteristics significantly.
Furthermore, it is completely unacceptable for this to happen on a premium product for which we pay a premium price. Btw, Butterfly Freitas ALC also has limba and I've never had any problems. Simply, the production process is superior, as is the quality of the veneer.

View attachment 29639
I doubt you'd find any difference for blades I've sealed vs blades I have not... You'd be more successful feeling the difference between a 85g and 90g sample of the same blade model imo. Just a thin layer of wipe on poly does the trick. You don't need to create a thick layer

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

View attachment 29639
The Freitas is sealed in factory, as Butterfly blades generally are. Limba splinters, Butterfly can't change nature. We use water based glue, and water will seep into unsealed wood and change play characteristics, and worse it may continue to change over time. It makes no sense not sealing your blade IMO.

View attachment 29639
No, it doesn’t change much, and wood is wood, you can NEVER prevent the risk of splintering completely even with the highest quality. Thinner top layer = higher splinter risk. But the risk can be significantly lowered with a thin layer of varnish with a minimal change of characteristics…

Cheers
L-zr

says Fzding around...
says Fzding around...
Mar 2020
Read 1 reviews
There is no need to reach a consensus on this topic. I just wrote my experience. My opinion is as valid as anyone else's
Every time I played with a sealed racket (I mean DIY sealing) I felt a significant difference. For example, joola aruna off, viscaria, lin gaoyuan alc...The sealant changes the feel, balance, hardness and flexibility, and thus the dwell time. It feels like you are playing with a completely different wood.

Of course, we ordinary users do not have access to the materials, sealants and technology used by Butterfly and other premium brands. Again, I would never recommend DIY sealing. Factory sealed blade is a completely different matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I wonder if U had sealed the DHS 301 blade? I had this and after sealing he surface didn't have much issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
There is no need to reach a consensus on this topic. I just wrote my experience. My opinion is as valid as anyone else's
Every time I played with a sealed racket (I mean DIY sealing) I felt a significant difference. For example, joola aruna off, viscaria, lin gaoyuan alc...The sealant changes the feel, balance, hardness and flexibility, and thus the dwell time. It feels like you are playing with a completely different wood.

Of course, we ordinary users do not have access to the materials, sealants and technology used by Butterfly and other premium brands. Again, I would never recommend DIY sealing. Factory sealed blade is a completely different matter.
How are you sealing your blades? I'm not you so I can't deny that you can feel a difference in feel, hardness, and flexibility (though I don't), but there's no friggin way you can feel a difference in balance. My sealed blades are maybe 0.1 grams off in weight, and it's not humanly possible to feel a difference in weight balance change as small as that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I always seal my blades. The only one that I did not seal is Nittaku Violin. At that time, I wanted to preserve the "orginal" feel. But somehow it withstands all the abuse from rubbers removal. Can't say the same to my Acoustic, because it has limba outerply. That's why I seal my Acoustic.

Regarding changes in feel, I have to say that, yes, there is somehow a change in feeling. But I can't say whether it is because of the sealing or it's just a psychological issue (since you know it's sealed, somehow you feel a bit different, although actually you can't really tell).

Oh, I only seal with one thin layer using Donic or Nittaku sealer (ready to use bottle). I apply evenly on the blade and then wait for like 15 - 30 seconds, then wipe it off clean using kitchen napkin.

Reactions: davidsyd828