A little opinion please! About my first custom bat

This user has no status.
Hi players!

I'm new here and new at table tennis. First of all, excuse my bad english!

I started playing in a recreational club about a year ago and i bought my first custom bat. I did it the wrong way. First i bought, now i ask opinions!! lol. I was playing with a Tibhar Volcano X and in the last few weeks i felt i could use something faster. All the guys in the club (they only compete in recreational tournaments) play with pips out or with very fast bats (carbon blades and tenergy rubbers or razka 9, etc.). I wanted a better bat but i still can't control those rubbers/blades, so with some advice of my companions and with internet reviews i bought:

Blade- Yasaka Silver Line All wood

FH- Butterfly Sriver L 1,7mm
BH- Yasaka Original XHG 1,8mm

Please take in consideration that i didn't want to spend much im my first custom bat

Please give me your opinions.

thanks

If you aim for cheap but decent, this is a waste of money I think. Always go for something made in china. It's decent and very cheap. You can get better quality than your current bat with much less money. Probably just around 35 USD and u can get something that probably better than your current setup

edit: for your current equipment, I dont know because I've never played with it, but I think you should always go for max sponge thickness, unless you want to play defensive style.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
Thank you Hamasaki.

I didn't bought max sponge thickness because they told me it could be too fast for me to handle. They told me to buy max sponge in the next rubbers.

but you've been playing for a year, I think you can handle the speed.

This user has no status.
but you've been playing for a year, I think you can handle the speed.

I know i can't handle the tenergy 05 speed. I try it in the club and when i put in the topspin, i feel like the ball as left the bat before i finish the spin.

Another reason i bought thin sponges, is that fisically i can put a lot of speed in the ball because i'm tall and with thin sponge it would help me block.

But the next bat i will ask for all your advices first! :p

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I bought Silver Line Carbon as my first Custom blade... At first I thought it was good, as I had not really felt anything really good yet. But after trying/using Hurricane Hao III I saw all the issues it had. The all wood is probs slightly different, but I don't think it's a world diference. Going for a DHS PG maybe, would probably be better use of the money. Some Galaxy blades too. It's not horrible though. I've always gone for 2mm, and I think from there and up is no problem for an offensive player really. Through 1,7 mm and 1,8 mm is unnecessary thin. Fh rubber seems fine, bh rubber I know nothing of.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade with Dawei 2008XP rubbers would come to about $30.00 and then add shipping and that would be a very nice, inexpensive first setup.

But the real question here is, how do you like what you have? Does it work for you? Too fast? Too slow?

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: BeGo and Kaizoku
This user has no status.
Hi,
could you tell me your playing style?
Is it defensiv or more allround with topspin?

A Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade with Dawei 2008XP rubbers would come to about $30.00 and then add shipping and that would be a very nice, inexpensive first setup.

But the real question here is, how do you like what you have? Does it work for you? Too fast? Too slow?

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Roger,
i'm Allround player. But not by choice. I want to be an offensive player but still can't manage against better players (almost all in my club).

UpSideDownCarl,
I feel good with the blade but as kaizoku said, i never had something really good. Maybe it could be just a little bit heavier.
I like the Sriver rubber too. It allows me to attack very well and is easy to receive the ball. I'm sure i could manage 2.1mm. About the Yasaka Original xhg, i'm not very pleased. I feel it doesn't have the grip i want it to be. The good side is that it was cheap, so i can just put another rubber. With the BH i almost never put a lot of speed. I try to put the ball out of reach. The down side is that i have more difficult to receive spin in my BH. Can you recommend me a rubber for my BH?

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Receiving spin with bh will always be a problem until you learn the technuiqe and manage to read the spin. (Considering you stick with inverted). Carl suggested Dawei, which might be the best for it's price. But how it is compared to xhg I don't know..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Roger,
i'm Allround player. But not by choice. I want to be an offensive player but still can't manage against better players (almost all in my club).

Hi,

I think it is because of your setup combination.
At first I would turn the blade: use the Yasaka rubber for FH and Sriver for BH.
Any improvement?

If you still get problem with your FH, then you should try another rubber eg.Yasaka Mark V 1.9
As for the BH I think you would get the control.

For the Dawei rubber, since it has harder sponge, you have to adapt another technique. (more harder swing and brushing the rubber)

This user has no status.
Hi,

I think it is because of your setup combination.
At first I would turn the blade: use the Yasaka rubber for FH and Sriver for BH.
Any improvement?

If you still get problem with your FH, then you should try another rubber eg.Yasaka Mark V 1.9
As for the BH I think you would get the control.

For the Dawei rubber, since it has harder sponge, you have to adapt another technique. (more harder swing and brushing the rubber)

Thank you Roger.

I will try to change the combination and let you know!