Any USATT problems with ratings sandbagging?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
The United States Chess Federation uses an ELO rating system, just like the USATT. In the US chess world, there are prize money tournaments with ratings restricted sections. This presents some problems. While unrated players are generally prohibited from winning the full prize amounts in non-open sections, many players get very good without playing in sanctioned tournaments. They then deliberately play badly (sandbagging is the popular term) during their first 20 games to get a low rating, and try to hustle the system as much as they can to try and win prize money in rating restricted sections.

Rating floors can mitigate some of the repeat hustling, but it’s impossible to stop sandbagging completely.

Does the US Table Tennis scene have this problem?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I heard about an old man who was loosing to people for money and sandbagging to win easy prize money. I also know of a lot of teams in the Joola teams competition during thanksgiving who sandbag their placement matches so they get placed in a low division and then win it easily.
Overall from my experience, 'sandbaggers' do pop up but its not a problem that effects me in every tournament I go to, especially monthly tournaments but it may vary in each place. Prize money in USATT tournaments is not a whole lot, especially the lower level tournament events, so I wouldn't worry about it, usually everyone tries their hardest.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The permanent way to stop sandbagging in sanctioned tourneys is to revoke or not allow renewal of membership and ban the jokers forever if you can be convinced enough to go down that rabbit hole...

But that would forever stop usatt from collecting all that nice money for the trip expenses and fractional partial covering of elie athlete expenses and a ceo & hpd director. While you the member don't get much.

Usage is never gonna give up that puny money for the elite... never

Sandbaggers gonna sandbag because they know no one is gonna rat them out, prove it, and ban them from the sport like they so richly deserve

Give up the idea, but let's have fun talking about rat traps and rats in our natl org...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are so.e other class of sandbags whose pri.ary goal is a win in the under 1100 nationals.

Parents and coach train kid for years, keep level under 500, and when kid is 1800 plus, unleash hi in u1100 u1300 to win both... that have little to zero prize money.

Problem is, there are 20 plus kids doing this at the same time, so still a tough task.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Sandbagging is a pretty big problem. Lots of people do it, especially those around the 2500 rating and the 2200 rating. The people who are around 2500 have no chance to win the open, so being rated 2501 will ensure they can't win money at tournaments. The under 2500 event usually pays a couple hundred bucks which is sometimes more than you can make placing 5th-8th in the open. People who are 2200-2300 have absolutely no chance in the under 2500, so it is best to keep their rating around 2190 or so. The more advanced sadnbaggers play one tournament and keep their rating low to gamble money in the clubs as they can win more money that way. Why wait around all day to win $100 on a Saturday or Sunday when you can win $200 or more in a single night in a couple of hours. One night I saw a guy lose the cash equivalent of $1200 playing a sandbagger. Too many times a player's ego and rating will get them into big trouble when playing for money.

The solution to this is quite simple: no money awards in any event but the open. Then you could pay money in the open back further, like the top 16 or top 32 places. This wouldn't solve the gambling problem but you should gamble at your own risk.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Sandbagging is a pretty big problem. Lots of people do it, especially those around the 2500 rating and the 2200 rating. The people who are around 2500 have no chance to win the open, so being rated 2501 will ensure they can't win money at tournaments. The under 2500 event usually pays a couple hundred bucks which is sometimes more than you can make placing 5th-8th in the open. People who are 2200-2300 have absolutely no chance in the under 2500, so it is best to keep their rating around 2190 or so. The more advanced sadnbaggers play one tournament and keep their rating low to gamble money in the clubs as they can win more money that way. Why wait around all day to win $100 on a Saturday or Sunday when you can win $200 or more in a single night in a couple of hours. One night I saw a guy lose the cash equivalent of $1200 playing a sandbagger. Too many times a player's ego and rating will get them into big trouble when playing for money.

The solution to this is quite simple: no money awards in any event but the open. Then you could pay money in the open back further, like the top 16 or top 32 places. This wouldn't solve the gambling problem but you should gamble at your own risk.

Sorry to hear that, but I guess some bad aspects of human nature are hard to eliminate.

This thread that I started reminds me of chess hustle that I personally witnessed. A strong player was in an open tournament that had a $50.00 prize for the best score for an under 2300 player. The guy was legitimately in that category and was playing somebody weaker than him in the last round for the prize. He noticed a potential "client" walking around the club and didn't want to risk losing a bigger payday, so he figured out a brilliant way to quickly lose the tournament game, and went ahead and hustled the other player out of $200.00.

Some chess clubs have no gambling policies, but if people are discreet and settle up outside, they are hard to enforce.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Bahaaaaaahaaaaabahhhhaaa friggin bahahahahahah LOL. HAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA. So true.

KLASSE and telling it like it is.

Chicken and beer hustle upgrade EXPOSED !!!

I am glad I keep it to just chicken and beer and only sandbag in the club only slightly in the smallest unperceivable amounts enough to get this type to fund my eating and drinking after TT... but at heart, I really think the dudes falling for this deep down really wanted to sit down with Der_Echte and enjoy a good dinner with drink on their dime.

I am not good enough to play for cornering the gold market.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Don’t you have age graded nationals? Most kids around here don’t give a sh*t about their ranking points but are obsessed with what their national ranking is towards the kids in their age group.

Yes, there is the following with a short analysis...

O40 - no way an amateur player has a chance. Ex pros still have some game and are too good for you. Only way you have a chance is 10 of those players in that class all at once do not show up for the tourney, or you found the source of their drinking water and heavily spikied it with Chlorine, or you hire the services of Tawnya Harding Consulting LLC.

O50 - no way an amateur will win... but sometimes the stars line UP! See above, but the O50 amateur can also eat the wrong spinach omelet at the wrong 24 hr restaurant with the wrong unwashed veggies and prepared by the wrong unwashed hands and have a case of Montezuma's Revenge that would make you wish you only had Corona.

O60 - If Stellan Bengston decides to play in this event, just WALK AWAY before anyone sees you.

O70 - We are starting to get deep into Geezer Territory and the winner may be decided by who has be taking their Geritol Silver Series Max and Vita D pills

O80 - If you woke up on the right side of the bed and still do not have 99% debilitating rheumatism, you have a fair chance. If you can take one step well and use LP, even better, ask Bill Thailand ex-champ from San Diego

O90 - If you showed up to compete and are not just coming out of the ICU for still training ur oxygen canister and facemask, you almost have it locked up, not so many players entered and actually showed up.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Chicken and Beer hustle is a favorite sport of men in Korean TT clubs in Korea.

What they will do, is find 6 people who want to go out and eat together after TT, setup a round robin, and based on what place you finish, you pay a certain amount of the Group tab...

...typically the breakdown is like:

1 Place - eat and drink for FREE
2 Place - Pay $10
3 Place - Pay $15
4 Place - Pay $20
5 Place - Pay $25
6 Place - Pay $30

So this is a $100 pot for 5 dudes to eat and drink... Usually 2 people can eat a $12 chicken and the beers are $4 or so... so that means on average, if everyone shares a chicken, or eats TWO and restricts themselves to 2 beers, then all even. Often the oldest guy in the group will be the money collector and money manager.

However, in the history of mankind at such an outing of thirsty men, have you EVER seen anyone restrict themselves to only 2 beers? Nah bro, it is something like 5 beers each, and then everyone want s other accessories on the menu... so when it is said and done, EVERYONE on average is chipping in another $25 to cover everything...

... so such a setup sounds like a setup and it is how Koreans roll... might sound bad to an American...

Sounds wierd, but imagine a round robin tourney where your entry fee is $55 and you are guaranteed to play 5 matches, not just a match, but a frenzied competitive match, 'cause no one likes to pay the largest share of the bill... imaging such competition where you entry fee GUARENTEES you to eat and drink to your wildest whim afterwards... you have a blast playing, then a 10x more blast afterwards, then likely a 3rd mission to Karaoke for another $20-$30... You spent LESS than what you did in A USATT sanctioned tourney and you GOT SO MUCH out of it, even if you were the LAST PLACE LOSER...

Think... Koreans know something the rest of do not.

Last edited: