receiving

1. Reverse pendulum serve - receiving

Hi guys, i have one question: How do you return a reverse pendulum serve with backspin? Normally i return it with my bh to the opponents bh (sometimes to the fh, to not give always the same return). But this is a defensive return, i'd like to attack it sometimes. I feel comfortable to return the...
  2. Receiving a short right sidespin/topspin backhand serve to the forehand

I noticed that one of my weak points is receiving a short right sidespin/topspin backhand serve short to my forehand. The serve is usually right sidespin with varying amount of topspin and from a right handed player. For me the easiest options so far has been to either go with the spin and get a...
  3. Learn serving and receiving tactics from Ma Long and Liang Jingkun

Budapest Semifinals See Ma Long’s this pair of serving. (2:15-2:24) After the first serve, why: Ma Long served an identical serve again? The two results were completely different?
  4. Receiving tactics

This may be a really old topic, I'm quite sure someone has created a thread. Although I'll ask. For right hands who play against a left hand. What is the hardest ball to receive against? As in you serve(rh) and the left hand receives. What sort of ball is hard to third ball and usually lose the...
  5. Receiving left sidespin pendulum serve

I cannot for the life of me return a deafult normal sidespin pendulum serve short. I might just be bad at reading the small difference between sidespin and underspin on the serves, but I hate returning this serve with my BH. Should I just stand more on the corner of the table to return it with a...
  6. What is this receiving stroke called?

just a newbie question, but the point at 11:19 into the clip when score is 4-4 we see Dima receiving FZD's serve. From what i see it looks kind of like a push but racket face tilted to Dima's left to adjust for the sidespin. Except what i don't understand is that the return has a fairly...
  7. Ready position for receiving serve

Gang, I have a question about how the top pros get ready to ready to receive serve. Many seem to crouch way down to almost table level and appear to be staring at the server. I previously thought this was to get a better view of the ball to read spin. But, immediately after the ball has been...
  8. Receiving Deceptive Serves

Hi guys, I have a basic understanding on receiving serves, like watching the point of contact on the basic more obvious serves. However, there is this particular player (shakehand) at our club that is very skilled in producing deceptive serves. It is giving me a lot of problems, because he...
  9. An Article that used Maths to prove that receiving first is an advantage

http://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/dont-serve-first/
  10. Defenders/ Receiving backspin balls

I'm a offensive player and the player i practice often with is a defender. When i am doing topspin brushes on the ball and the defender chops the ball back with a lot of backspin, when receiving, am i to put my bat at an angle and let the ball hit the rubber and it will bounce back to the other...
  11. What is banana flip/flick used in receiving ??

the pro player ussually seems to talk about this banana flick/flip used for recieving high backspin serve... what is this....?? and how it is executed..?? any videos please?????
  12. Defenders/ Receiving backspin balls

I'm a offensive player and the player i practice often with is a defender. When i am doing topspin brushes on the ball and the defender chops the ball back with a lot of backspin, when receiving, am i to put my bat at an angle and let the ball hit the rubber and it will bounce back to the other...
  13. Receiving very strong backspin?

hello everyone! okay so i have been competing with my schoolmates for the varsity spot in the past few days...and the next match is tomorrow...and while we were training this guy wanted to practice his 3rd balls with me so he wanted me to push his serves....but i made so many errors in my pushes...
  14. Receiving serves - advice needed

Hi all, I got some great feedback a couple of weeks ago on here about playing blockers/ counter hitters - it worked a treat. So, now I have another question. I'm about to come up against a player who's serves I really struggle to read. He's a left, with great touch and disguises his serves...