1980s Stiga Allround blade - worth reusing ?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi Everyone,
I’m returning to table tennis after 40year break. In the 80s I played in a club as a kid with a Stiga Allround blade with Mark V rubber. The rubber has now perished so I’ve taken it off, but the blade seems ok after filling a few small chips round the edges.

Is it worth getting new modern rubber for this old blade or just start again with a stiffer modern blade ? I’m also not sure how much difference modern balls make to the set up you need on a bat.

I’m not gonna win any tournaments, just looking to get back into playing, improve and have fun. So I’d rather not spend loads.

So, keep blade or start again ?
If I keep it, what would be a good mid speed inexpensive rubber to put on this for modem ball and an all round style ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks !
I opinion is that using Yasaka Mark V on Stiga All-round will be very exhausting. You need to generate immense power just to get the ball over especially in topspin to topspin play. Your arm will be burning after a short while.

This user has no status.
I opinion is that using Yasaka Mark V on Stiga All-round will be very exhausting. You need to generate immense power just to get the ball over especially in topspin to topspin play. Your arm will be burning after a short while.
I’m not planning to go back to Mark V. It was great back in the 1980s though !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
£20-30 rubbers for Allround / attack.
Not crazy fast rubber though as I will lose control.
What sponge do you like, hard, mid-hard or soft?

N.B. I don't use hard as stated with other people, I guess something like BTY Rozena Red 1.9 for backhand https://www.teessport.com/rubbers-c6/butterfly-rozena-table-tennis-rubber-p9514 & Nittaku Fastarc G-1 Black 1.8 or 2.0 depends yours skills for forehand https://www.xlntsports.co.uk/shop/nittaku-fastarc-g-1/ fits the bill, quality rubbers & very good long lasting time guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veryrusty