A sticky rubber is a bad choice ....

This user has no status.
So THIS was where the TableTennisDaily views for my video are coming from 😂 I was puzzled about it as I didn't share it here and had to do a bit more digging to figure out the source since searching 'Stickiest' on TTD didn't give me anything useful - thanks for helping it past a million views though! 😁

Sticky rubber lovers unite!
(Note: I now use Sanwei Gear Hyper though, which is a mid-tacky rubber)

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
What? I always use tacky rubbers?

Is this video of the target national? Or commercial?

Noticed no one has responded to your question. If you haven't found the answer yet, the rubber in the video was the Sanwei Target Pro Blue sponge. I've since switched to the Sanwei Gear Hyper as it was more forgiving for me and I felt more in control of where the ball was going

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Noticed no one has responded to your question. If you haven't found the answer yet, the rubber in the video was the Sanwei Target Pro Blue sponge. I've since switched to the Sanwei Gear Hyper as it was more forgiving for me and I felt more in control of where the ball was going

How is the Target Pro blue in terms of speed and throw angle?

I've been testing out the Target Pro 3. But I find it to be very dead/slow and the throw angle is very low.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
As stated before by Amit. I don't use sticky rubbers and changed to a hybrid because of the slowness. In order to use slow, sticky rubber you have to have good technique and good footwork to get yourself into position to make a full stroke. It's hard to hit a good shot when you are not in position. I've noticed when I used sticky rubber if I don't hit a full stroke my shots just fall flat and go nowhere.

This user has no status.
How is the Target Pro blue in terms of speed and throw angle?

I've been testing out the Target Pro 3. But I find it to be very dead/slow and the throw angle is very low.

Similar angle to the Target National, aka low, the difference is in the sponge and I found the Pro blue sponge a bit more elastic and easier to use than the sponge on the Target National. The Target Pro blue had good speed.

Also, I have this other info from Sanwei about the Pro 3 (which isn't in their catalogue) - The domestic provincial version uses a less performance-grade sponge and it only sells on the Chinese market. So, there's a good reason why you found the Pro 3 to be very dead and slow (which I also kinda concur after getting it myself from Aliexpress)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Similar angle to the Target National, aka low, the difference is in the sponge and I found the Pro blue sponge a bit more elastic and easier to use than the sponge on the Target National. The Target Pro blue had good speed.

Also, I have this other info from Sanwei about the Pro 3 (which isn't in their catalogue) - The domestic provincial version uses a less performance-grade sponge and it only sells on the Chinese market. So, there's a good reason why you found the Pro 3 to be very dead and slow (which I also kinda concur after getting it myself from Aliexpress)

How do you successfully use these Target rubbers if their throw angle is so low?

Do you boost your Target National and Pro Blue?

If the Pro 3 uses a lower performance sponge, does that mean the commercial Target is even a lower sponge?

This user has no status.
How do you successfully use these Target rubbers if their throw angle is so low?

Do you boost your Target National and Pro Blue?

If the Pro 3 uses a lower performance sponge, does that mean the commercial Target is even a lower sponge?

Lol - I'm a really technical player (though I'm probably Division 4 level in the UK and on a very good day, maybe Division 3 level) who values placement and plays angles rather than going for a looping and counterlooping game. I block (the one part of my game I know is consistent) until I get an opening then I hit. The Target National was great for hitting :) I eventually changed to the Gear Hyper once that came out because I lacked the level of precision needed to use the Target National effectively - the super low throw angle was both a boon and a bane as if it went in fast then it was very hard to return but it was hard (for me) to consistently keep the ball in play.

I don't boost any of my rubbers - find it troublesome and lack the dedicated space for me to just leave a boosted rubber to uncurl...

For your last query, Sanwei confirms that the commercial Target National is the real national level one. So it has a higher grade sponge than the Target Pro 3 - I've bought the New Target National to try out so will have some thoughts on it eventually. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Lol - I'm a really technical player (though I'm probably Division 4 level in the UK and on a very good day, maybe Division 3 level) who values placement and plays angles rather than going for a looping and counterlooping game. I block (the one part of my game I know is consistent) until I get an opening then I hit. The Target National was great for hitting :) I eventually changed to the Gear Hyper once that came out because I lacked the level of precision needed to use the Target National effectively - the super low throw angle was both a boon and a bane as if it went in fast then it was very hard to return but it was hard (for me) to consistently keep the ball in play.

I don't boost any of my rubbers - find it troublesome and lack the dedicated space for me to just leave a boosted rubber to uncurl...

For your last query, Sanwei confirms that the commercial Target National is the real national level one. So it has a higher grade sponge than the Target Pro 3 - I've bought the New Target National to try out so will have some thoughts on it eventually. :)

I mean the highest level of target is National right. The lower level is Provincial. And below Provincial is just the regular target. What kind of sponge is the regular target? You said the Pro 3 uses a lower performance sponge.

This user has no status.
I mean the highest level of target is National right. The lower level is Provincial. And below Provincial is just the regular target. What kind of sponge is the regular target? You said the Pro 3 uses a lower performance sponge.

Ah, I'm not too familiar with the Target 90 (The regular Target) outside of what @Yogi_Bear wrote in his review - sorry! I may start using it in my builds but it's still under consideration as the competition is pretty stiff in that price bracket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
, just Pick a setup that is less demanding and makes your life easier, specially during the competition.
For an amateur a sticky Chinese rubber can put lot more spin on the ball (back spin or top spin) to pull the ball down on the opponent's side of the table.
Antispin like rubbers like Tenergy require much better technique & precise strokes every time to pull the ball down on opponent's side . Pros can do this consistently with anti spin like rubbers like Tenergy but amateurs cannot. Pros also illegally boost for more spin which I do not recommend for amateurs
Personally I have tried so hard to use Sriver & Mark V as I like their power but never could. So iused Super Sriver for almots 10 years.
Most amateurs get seduced by the power of these Euro / Japanese rubbers watching the pros. and totally overlook the consistency factor to keep the ball first on the table. These players will remain one shot wonders

Then I used 730 & 999 for 4 years. After that I used Yinhe Mercury for about 7 or 8 years . Now I have switched to even spinnier slower sticky rubbers like LKT Pro XT & Geospin Tacky
Most other players I coached / helped, they were happier with sticky Chinese rubber like Hurricane. Some players loved the increased spin. compared to Tenergy or other European & Japanese rubbers.

Yes there were few players who refuse to switch bcause Tenergy / Dignics are status symbol social rubbers. just as short pips are weakside social rubbers.to fit in.

.Harder sponge with sticky top sheet can cause some control issues & maybe this is why you had control issues. You may want try a little softer sponge but not mushy soft which will cause more problems. I recommend Yinhe Mercury the best especally if your EJing other side with long pips on several blades. Mercury used to be $4 now $7 . I usually ordered 8 to 10 sheets for myself and some new players I helped. Try that with Tenergy or Dignics

Igor for some reason does not like Chinese products & so he started this totally uselesss bait thread. Complete waste of time

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
James Z

user-offline.png
Igor for some reason does not like Chinese products & so he started this totally uselesss bait thread. Complete waste of time

It is not useless, you managed to give some very useful comments and good advise

This user has no status.
For an amateur a sticky Chinese rubber can put lot more spin on the ball (back spin or top spin) to pull the ball down on the opponent's side of the table.
Antispin like rubbers like Tenergy require much better technique & precise strokes every time to pull the ball down on opponent's side . Pros can do this consistently with anti spin like rubbers like Tenergy but amateurs cannot. Pros also illegally boost for more spin which I do not recommend for amateurs
Personally I have tried so hard to use Sriver & Mark V as I like their power but never could. So iused Super Sriver for almots 10 years.
Most amateurs get seduced by the power of these Euro / Japanese rubbers watching the pros. and totally overlook the consistency factor to keep the ball first on the table. These players will remain one shot wonders

Then I used 730 & 999 for 4 years. After that I used Yinhe Mercury for about 7 or 8 years . Now I have switched to even spinnier slower sticky rubbers like LKT Pro XT & Geospin Tacky
Most other players I coached / helped, they were happier with sticky Chinese rubber like Hurricane. Some players loved the increased spin. compared to Tenergy or other European & Japanese rubbers.

Yes there were few players who refuse to switch bcause Tenergy / Dignics are status symbol social rubbers. just as short pips are weakside social rubbers.to fit in.

.Harder sponge with sticky top sheet can cause some control issues & maybe this is why you had control issues. You may want try a little softer sponge but not mushy soft which will cause more problems. I recommend Yinhe Mercury the best especally if your EJing other side with long pips on several blades. Mercury used to be $4 now $7 . I usually ordered 8 to 10 sheets for myself and some new players I helped. Try that with Tenergy or Dignics

I thought people generally ignored some of his posts? :D I've seen quite a few head-scratching posts/replies in the past.

You bring up some nice points though I suspect nobody would think that Tenergy rubbers are antispin ones 😁...

I too used Super Sriver for many years, particularly after my friend gave me his Butterfly Senkoh 1 (Super Sriver was lovely on that blade....!)

Reactions: James Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
When you don't have a qualified coach to train you or you are simply a 40-year-old Joe with delusions, sticky rubber is a horrible decision. Because most amateur players are weekend or hobby players, most amateurs, like myself, lack the effort and precision needed to handle a tacky rubber.

• Sad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
When you don't have a qualified coach to train you or you are simply a 40-year-old Joe with delusions, sticky rubber is a horrible decision. Because most amateur players are weekend or hobby players, most amateurs, like myself, lack the effort and precision needed to handle a tacky rubber.
But I just explained the whole thing in my earlier post
Most of your so called 40-year-old Joe's use expensive status symbol rubbers like Tenergy etc & not inexpensive Chinese rubbers.
Amateur players do not need (or more like do not have) the precision & technique of a pro or top amateur. Sticky rubbers are more suitable for them because for the amateur, more spin (to spin or back spin) is needed to pull the ball down on the opponent's side of table. But the pros who use (& can use) non sticky antispin rubbers like Tenergy use illegally speed glue or illegally boost to get additional spin from the sponge. But illegal speed gluing & illegal boosting is not recommended for lower-level amateurs but lot of them do boost illegally or speed glue illegally because again, it is such a cool thing socially to say that they (illegally) boost or (illegally) speed glue because you sound like a bad boy or a bad girl LOL. who is doing something criminal (given that ITTF tried to ban speed-gluing in 1995 (but had to repeal the rule immediately) and ITTF also says they banned boosting in 2008.

I also agreed sticky rubbers with too hard a sponge or too soft (mushy) a sponge are harder for an amateur to control. But pros illegally boost Hurricane with the hardest sponge because they can handle it. Otherwise, sticky Chinses rubbers are a far superior choice to European & Japanese rubbers if you select the right sponge hardness that matches your current skill level.(Itmay change as you improve & you may ven move to pro rubbers like Tenergy if you move up in skill) . I personally have nothing against European & Japanese rubbers and as I said I used Butterfly Super Sriver for close to 10 years (& used Butterfly Feint Classic for 8 years before it was banned). I also agree Sriver & Mark V are greatest rubbers ever in 38 ball era & Butterfly & Stiga are still gold standard with higher quality than Chinse rubbers. But Tenergy & Feint Long 3 etc are the biggest jokes in 40+ plastic ball era.

Tenergy etc are great for pros. But also keep in mind that most of these pros are sponsored (more like Butterfly's kept biatches) and get these rubbers free while the status hungry amateur subsidizes the pros. From the point of supporting the growth of the sport, I actually even support that to a certain extent but an amateur you have to balance it against their own needs first.
As I pointed out in another sport this was the biggest problem in a related issue of long pips & 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre. Almost all the top pros & most higher-level choppers used Feint Long Classic, ITTF to this day has conned everyone into thinking that most top players used Curl P1 & used it as an excuse to pass the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre, whereas the real reason to pass this regulation had 0% technical merit & was 100% political (I won't get into here). But all the top pro choppers had to keep (from very highest level and too many to name here) their mouths shut because they were under Butterfly contract & Butterfly was releasing Feint Long 2 for 40- celluloid ball but both Feint Long 2 & Fient long 3 & the Ilius are pure garbage in the context of the 40+ plastic ball (though I have to say Ilius is superior to Dtec OX but Ilius is pure garbage compared to any High Aspect Ratio Super Long pips in the 40+ plastic ball era)

Last edited:
Reactions: Choosikick
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
But I just explained the whole thing in my earlier post
Most of your so called 40-year-old Joe's use expensive status symbol rubbers like Tenergy etc & not inexpensive Chinese rubbers.
Amateur players do not need (or more like do not have) the precision & technique of a pro or top amateur. Sticky rubbers are more suitable for them because for the amateur, more spin (to spin or back spin) is needed to pull the ball down on the opponent's side of table. But the pros who use (& can use) non sticky antispin rubbers like Tenergy use illegally speed glue or illegally boost to get additional spin from the sponge. But illegal speed gluing & illegal boosting is not recommended for lower-level amateurs but lot of them do boost illegally or speed glue illegally because again, it is such a cool thing socially to say that they (illegally) boost or (illegally) speed glue because you sound like a bad boy or a bad girl LOL. who is doing something criminal (given that ITTF tried to ban speed-gluing in 1995 (but had to repeal the rule immediately) and ITTF also says they banned boosting in 2008.

I also agreed sticky rubbers with too hard a sponge or too soft (mushy) a sponge are harder for an amateur to control. But pros illegally boost Hurricane with the hardest sponge because they can handle it. Otherwise, sticky Chinses rubbers are a far superior choice to European & Japanese rubbers if you select the right sponge hardness that matches your current skill level.(Itmay change as you improve & you may ven move to pro rubbers like Tenergy if you move up in skill) . I personally have nothing against European & Japanese rubbers and as I said I used Butterfly Super Sriver for close to 10 years (& used Butterfly Feint Classic for 8 years before it was banned). I also agree Sriver & Mark V are greatest rubbers ever in 38 ball era & Butterfly & Stiga are still gold standard with higher quality than Chinse rubbers. But Tenergy & Feint Long 3 etc are the biggest jokes in 40+ plastic ball era.

Tenergy etc are great for pros. But also keep in mind that most of these pros are sponsored (more like Butterfly's kept biatches) and get these rubbers free while the status hungry amateur subsidizes the pros. From the point of supporting the growth of the sport, I actually even support that to a certain extent but an amateur you have to balance it against their own needs first.
As I pointed out in another sport this was the biggest problem in a related issue of long pips & 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre. Almost all the top pros & most higher-level choppers used Feint Long Classic, ITTF to this day has conned everyone into thinking that most top players used Curl P1 & used it as an excuse to pass the 1998 Durban Aspect Ratio Reduction Massacre, whereas the real reason to pass this regulation had 0% technical merit & was 100% political (I won't get into here). But all the top pro choppers had to keep (from very highest level and too many to name here) their mouths shut because they were under Butterfly contract & Butterfly was releasing Feint Long 2 for 40- celluloid ball but both Feint Long 2 & Fient long 3 & the Ilius are pure garbage in the context of the 40+ plastic ball (though I have to say Ilius is superior to Dtec OX but Ilius is pure garbage compared to any High Aspect Ratio Super Long pips in the 40+ plastic ball era)

don't wast your time with hellinroy2607 he seems to just copy/paste pieces from other people here and pretends they are his own wisdom

user-offline.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

I'm currently using Pro 3 on both side, I can agree that its sponge is a bit low quality (has little holes which I assume was air bubble trapped inside during the fabrication process). True that it can give you the dead and slow feeling at the beginning but after adjusting my technique everything is fine, shots come out both spinny and fast with low trajectory

Reactions: The_TT_Bat_Guy