ALC only above semi-pro? or also viable for Intermediates

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,

as a good student (xD) i followed the recommendation to avoid carbon in blades and sticked to my 5 ply allwood blade (TSPW).

I am very safe in opening up rally's but kinda struggle currently at the counterlooping game. While i'm very consistant i currently lack that punshy power.

Some years back i played Viscaria and an Innerlayer ALC for quite some time. Back then i was like 2 levels behind my current form. Still i didnt play any better or worser.

I wonder if the common recommendation is still viable for my level, which would be something between an higher intermediate and a very low advanced player. It isn't about boosting my skills but to add some more fun (i had alot of fun with the Viscaria) and not to hinder any further development.

On top i was always a forehand oriented player. I can feel a big difference between a forehand supporting blade with limba outer (+inner ALC) and a backhand supporting blade (harder outer + outer ALC).

Nowadays i still like the forehand more but my backhand skills aren't far away. Ideally i would like to complement both. I remember the short dwell time of the Viscaria didn't ruin my forehand, but it was more of a consistant than a powerful forehand.

What are your opinion about that topic.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I do it just to avoid boredom but it might also work for you:
Use the rubbers that you know and "plant" them on some of the cheap
Chinese clones (also called ripp-offs 😂 ). For less than 30 euros each you can afford to buy ALC inner with soft limba top ply and then also a ALC or just plain carbon outer with maybe a Koto top ply. As a reference you keep of course the current racket so you will have a fair comparison.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
My goto blades are:
* Limba top inner ALC/KLC: DHS Fang Bo B2 (or faster B2X), or Yinhe Pro 05 (KLC)
* Koto top external ALC: Yinhe Pro 01 (ALC)

They are all about $60 each (TT11 or AliExpress).

If you already played a couple of years you can definitely handle the inner ALC or KLC blades, they play like 5-ply until you hit hard. The external ALC Koto is more difficult for me because of less spin for serving.

In tournaments I play the Victas Swat flexible 7-ply Limba top, best control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I really like my viscaria, suited me better than softer carbon blades. You need decent and repeatable strokes so you can adjust to the extra speed. Pick the right rubbers and it can be a manageable blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Read 1 reviews
From what you're describing, I think you can handle it but anyway if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to just give it a try, I also recommend Yinhe Pro 01, it plays almost (90%) like Viscaria and it costs only around 50Euro.

Coming from 5-ply, you'll definitely have to adjust to the weight of Pro 01 (93+/-3g), since it's even heavier than TSPW, but also lack of vibration. But again you mentioned that you had no issue with Viscaria so you should be good to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
My goto blades are:
* Limba top inner ALC/KLC: DHS Fang Bo B2 (or faster B2X), or Yinhe Pro 05 (KLC)
* Koto top external ALC: Yinhe Pro 01 (ALC)

They are all about $60 each (TT11 or AliExpress).

If you already played a couple of years you can definitely handle the inner ALC or KLC blades, they play like 5-ply until you hit hard. The external ALC Koto is more difficult for me because of less spin for serving.

In tournaments I play the Victas Swat flexible 7-ply Limba top, best control.

Have you tried the Sanwei 75 inner or the F3 Pro? I'm interested in purchasing either a Yinhe 05 or Sanwei inner blade during the current Aliexpress deal season but reviews of comparisons for them are sparse.

Reactions: TT Lover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Have you tried the Sanwei 75 inner or the F3 Pro? I'm interested in purchasing either a Yinhe 05 or Sanwei inner blade during the current Aliexpress deal season but reviews of comparisons for them are sparse.

Agreed with you, the selling price of Sanwei 75 Inner at AliExpress is very interested in purchasing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi guys,

as a good student (xD) i followed the recommendation to avoid carbon in blades and sticked to my 5 ply allwood blade (TSPW).

I am very safe in opening up rally's but kinda struggle currently at the counterlooping game. While i'm very consistant i currently lack that punshy power.

Some years back i played Viscaria and an Innerlayer ALC for quite some time. Back then i was like 2 levels behind my current form. Still i didnt play any better or worser.

I wonder if the common recommendation is still viable for my level, which would be something between an higher intermediate and a very low advanced player. It isn't about boosting my skills but to add some more fun (i had alot of fun with the Viscaria) and not to hinder any further development.

On top i was always a forehand oriented player. I can feel a big difference between a forehand supporting blade with limba outer (+inner ALC) and a backhand supporting blade (harder outer + outer ALC).

Nowadays i still like the forehand more but my backhand skills aren't far away. Ideally i would like to complement both. I remember the short dwell time of the Viscaria didn't ruin my forehand, but it was more of a consistant than a powerful forehand.

What are your opinion about that topic.

If it is for fun, why not? Get what you want.

As far as whether you will be able to handle the blade or if the blade will slow your development: it is not really possible to say if we have not seen you play. So feel free to post footage if you want a real answer to that question instead of people guessing based on how you say you play.

In the end though, if you like the blade, get it. One of the reasons to play TT is because you enjoy doing it. So a blade you enjoying with makes sense even if it is not the blade that is perfect for you getting better as fast as possible.