Aruna is way smarter than we think...

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
  • Aruna Quadri. We all know him for his powerful FH shot. We laughed at his apparently non-existent BH. No chiquita, no strawberry, no tutti-fruity of any kind. Just gud'ole push, block and the occasional punch. However, the enigmatic Aruna occasionally give top seeded player a run for their money.
  • I have always been a fan of Aruna, that is no secret; he has the je ne sais quoi.
  • No more, his je ne sais quoi has now been analysized and explained in detail by this brilliant YT video. Enjoy.

This user has no status.
I'm not sure why is it 200 IQ stuff (sounds more like Youtube clickbait to me) - to me this is quite standard tactics from more 1-wing players as they want to get their strong FH in. For e.g. deep push to middle instead of short push to avoid the wide angles, force a weaker loop and then do a huge FH counterloop to get the initiative - you can see this plenty in Ma Long games. Or things like using placement to make certain placements too dangerous or error-prone from the opponent, so that you can pretty much just prepare for shots in advance - also can be seen in many Ma Long games.

Imo Aruna would love not to have to play like that. He was handicapped on the BH even from early development and has already made some huge changes (it is way better now than when he first arrived on the scene). Unfortunately it's way too late for him to develop the modern BH (with chiquita, etc...) so he has to make do with punching and blocking for the most part which is also very error prone (but this is again optimal for him because he can't do the modern BH short stroke loop - so might as well punch the ball, pray that it lands and at least pose some problems for the opponent)

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I'm not sure why is it 200 IQ stuff (sounds more like Youtube clickbait to me) - to me this is quite standard tactics from more 1-wing players as they want to get their strong FH in. For e.g. deep push to middle instead of short push to avoid the wide angles, force a weaker loop and then do a huge FH counterloop to get the initiative - you can see this plenty in Ma Long games. Or things like using placement to make certain placements too dangerous or error-prone from the opponent, so that you can pretty much just prepare for shots in advance - also can be seen in many Ma Long games.

Imo Aruna would love not to have to play like that. He was handicapped on the BH even from early development and has already made some huge changes (it is way better now than when he first arrived on the scene). Unfortunately it's way too late for him to develop the modern BH (with chiquita, etc...) so he has to make do with punching and blocking for the most part which is also very error prone (but this is again optimal for him because he can't do the modern BH short stroke loop - so might as well punch the ball, pray that it lands and at least pose some problems for the opponent)
to you it seems like biz as usual tactic, but for a poor sod like me who is tactically noob and without any tactical coach input, these videos are like priceless gem. This video shows that one need not have fancy-smancy tutty-fruity skills-sets to win at high level. Just good ole'solid basic technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
to you it seems like biz as usual tactic, but for a poor sod like me who is tactically noob and without any tactical coach input, these videos are like priceless gem. This video shows that one need not have fancy-smancy tutty-fruity skills-sets to win at high level. Just good ole'solid basic technique.
Having a wide arsenal of technique probably is best but using a tactics that covers your weaknesses and forces the opponent to play to your strengths can make you better and maybe make you beat opponents who are more well rounded but can't quite match your biggest strength.

But of course a good well rounded player without a huge strength but everything solid might also be able to take out a strength of a player with a dominant stroke. Kinda is like a chess game who can make the game more his way.