Beginner equipment for my 8 year old daughter

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I want to make a setup for my friend's daughter who is 8, and is a light-weight constitution, I think she weights perhaps 24kg. She started playing recently and makes good progress. I'm clear about the blade, I'll take 5-ply light all-round blade, NP there. The question is about the rubbers. I'd welcome any suggestion for rel. slow and light-weight rubbers, which I can buy preferably in 1.7-2.0. I recently bought 8 Yinhe Mercury 2 for other kids, which is tacky, and fine for older stronger kids, but this time I tend to go for non-tacky light rubber. Actually here I tend to go for Yasaka Mark V, or possibly Sriver - but I'm not sure whether L, EL, FX. Any suggestion are welcome.

I hope it's OK to wake this thread, didn't want to start new.
I'd recommend Nittaku Factive, you can get it in 1.4 or 1.8. I think it is a better rubber than Mark V and Sriver and you can get it at tt11 for ~$27

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Of course like @UpSideDownCarl points out. Her coach would know. But I mean. 8 years and 15 training sessions. Sanwei Accumulator S and a not too spin sensitive, linear rubber like Sanwei T88-III Training, available in 2-pack. This will be super for the first year or even a bit longer, and the price is about $25. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I want to make a setup for my friend's daughter who is 8, and is a light-weight constitution, I think she weights perhaps 24kg. She started playing recently and makes good progress. I'm clear about the blade, I'll take 5-ply light all-round blade, NP there. The question is about the rubbers. I'd welcome any suggestion for rel. slow and light-weight rubbers, which I can buy preferably in 1.7-2.0. I recently bought 8 Yinhe Mercury 2 for other kids, which is tacky, and fine for older stronger kids, but this time I tend to go for non-tacky light rubber. Actually here I tend to go for Yasaka Mark V, or possibly Sriver - but I'm not sure whether L, EL, FX. Any suggestion are welcome.

Ah it was you who woke the thread :) Check out Palio AK47 Blue/Yellow, 729 Focus III Snipe 44deg or Pimplepark EPOS. These are all light weight controllable rubbers. EPOS is a bit tacky, but soft.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hi there, I’m looking for advise on what kind of blade & rubber would be appropriate for my 8 year old daughter. She has taken around 15 lessons in table tennis so far & is able to connect the ball etc. to have short rallies. I was thinking of a heavier blade like Hunter Equalizer & a thin controllable rubber like Dr. Neubauer Special Defense with 1 mm thickness for both forehand & backhand. My daughter is a Shakehand player. Appreciate any inputs/advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
is she playing a defensive playstyle? that is what I'm hinting towards from your rubber choices?

• Haha
Reactions: Crillo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Given that there are people responding to the OP and confused, I would say you probably should have started a new thread because, unfortunately, not many people will sort out that you are waking up a 3 year old thread to ask a similar question about a totally different kid whose circumstances are likely a little different than those of the kid in the OP.
Of course like @UpSideDownCarl points out. Her coach would know. But I mean. 8 years and 15 training sessions. Sanwei Accumulator S and a not too spin sensitive, linear rubber like Sanwei T88-III Training, available in 2-pack. This will be super for the first year or even a bit longer, and the price is about $25. :)
is she playing a defensive playstyle? that is what I'm hinting towards from your rubber choices?

Reactions: latej and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

For blade, I do recommend kids' blade. More comfortable. Since the kid is only 8, her hand is most likely much much smaller than an adult's hand. I would recommend Neottec Gamma ALL+ XS.

I got my two kids set up with Neottec Gamma ALL+ X and TSP Reflex 50 Award OFF FL-Small Blade. I like the former better. Just feels more professional and more woody feel.

FYI. Victus bought TSP so I am not sure if you can find it anymore. I just googled it and pingpongdepot.com is selling that TSP Reflex 50 Award OFF FL-Small Blade for $22.94 canadian.

Neottec Gamma ALL+ X will set you back $22 and change on TT11.

As for rubber, I set my kids up with Mark V 1.5mm but I don't really like that. I would recommend instead 2.0mm of Neottec Katana v.s. Neottec Hinomi-M v.s. Neottec Hinomi-S. It does not matter which of those three rubbers you pick. They are made in Japan. Plays well. Relatively light rubbers which is what you are looking for.

No need to pay up for Mark V or Sriver when you get Neottec rubbers at affodable prices.

On a side topic, I recently upgraded my daughter's blade to an adult blade, 5-ply all wood, with Tibhar Quantum Pro soft pink on the FH (because she wants a pink rubber) and Neottec Katana black 2.0mm on the BH. She likes the set up and I don't see anything wrong with it. I was going to put 729 soft black on her BH but I made the mistake of boosting that rubber which made is unplayable, wayyyy too soft. She and I immediately felt the same way. So I pulled off the 729 and put a Neottec Katana rubber on instead. So far, the choice has been working out well.

Jul 2014
FYI. Victus bought TSP...
Victas is essentially the successor brand of TSP, both Victas and TSP were created to sell Yamato Takkyuu co products. For a short time both brands existed separately under the umbrella of Yamato Takkyuu, where Victas somewhat acted in a Lexus-Toyota relationship to TSP (Victas acting as the former), before the TSP branding was discontinued alltogether and all surviving products were consolidated underneath Victas branding

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Victas is essentially the successor brand of TSP, both Victas and TSP were created to sell Yamato Takkyuu co products. For a short time both brands existed separately under the umbrella of Yamato Takkyuu, where Victas somewhat acted in a Lexus-Toyota relationship to TSP (Victas acting as the former), before the TSP branding was discontinued alltogether and all surviving products were consolidated underneath Victas branding
which products are yamato? I thought most of their rubbers are made by ESN?

Jul 2014
which products are yamato? I thought most of their rubbers are made by ESN?
Key word here is made by. Yamato Takkyuu is just the parent brand to TSP/Victas as Champion sports is the parent Brand to Xiom, who has rubbers supplied by ESN. I'm not completely sure which manufacturer supplies the Japanese made rubbers for Victas like Spectol/Spinpips, most likely Daiki, but the manority of Victas inverted rubbers are certainly manufactured by ESN in Germany

Reactions: JJ Ng