Beginner penhold racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello. I'm a recreational/hobby player that is currently using a Stiga Trick to play Chinese penhold. It feels okay but I imagine it could be better to use a racket made for that particular grip. I'd like to buy a pre-assembled racket and not spend too ''much'' money. I've searched all of the retailers in Finland to no avail. There's only one place that sells just blades with the penhold possibility rather than pre-assembled rackets, so that isn't an option. After reading about fakes and cheap knock-offs I'm kind of lost as to where to actually buy a penhold racket.

Since I am still a new member I cannot post any links, but the only seemingly okay racket I've found in my price range is the 4006C on tabletennis11. It's listed at 31,90€. When I checked for it on the DHS website, I could only find a ''R4006C'' that has a blue handle instead of a red one. Are they two different bats or is the one on tabletennis11 some kind of a fake? Maybe its just that they've had two different color options and tabletennis11 just has one of those colors. Maybe somebody knows better?

Any advice on finding a penhold bat in the 20-40€ price range would be nice and whether or not the 4006C would be good at all anyway. I don't mind using some time to get used to the new bat in case its a bit hard to control for a beginner.
I can sell you my DHS Hao2. A famous penhold blade used by Wang Hao in the past.

You can look it up and find loads of good reviews.

PM me if interested.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
So guys I want to buy a racket from the TT11 website and I am not sure which one to get. I am between the Yasaka Sweden Classic Ch.Pen and the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive Ch.Pen. Would the latter be too fast for someone less experienced? For the rubbers as suggested I'd buy LKT Rapid Speed for the forehand side. I read that I could have something softer and more controllable on the backhand side. Any suggestions? Something in the same price range as the LKT rubber or should I just get LKT on both sides?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Yasaka Malin Extra Offensive is definitely not too fast, especially since none of the rubber you're considering is very fast.

Both of the blades you're considering sounds like a great option. Just pick one you like better.

Regarding the question about whether you should get a different rubber on your backhand or not, a well-known forum member named Carl will ask you a question that you yourself have to answer

"Why do you think you need a different rubber? "

Some people(like me) use different rubber on forehand and backhand so they can try different rubbers(infected by stage 1 of EJ virus lol).

Some people are way more confident about their forehand than backhand, so they use faster and harder rubber on the side that they can hit more confidently.

Some people, especially RPB penholder, like Tacky Chinese rubber on the backhand because the nature of RPB already requires a lot of brushing and they like spinny RPB.

It all comes down to what you like, if you want to try some other rubbers, rubbers like DHS Hurricane 3 will probably not disappoint you, but if you don't know what your BH needs then just get two of the same rubber so you have an easier time adjusting to the speed and spin of a new racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I purchased the lkt rubber recently. For the price, it's really good. For the blade, either is fine. I'd say for casual play you might find the Sweden easier to play with in the beginning.

This user has no status.
I purchased the lkt rubber recently. For the price, it's really good. For the blade, either is fine. I'd say for casual play you might find the Sweden easier to play with in the beginning.
Yeah I figured as much that it might take a little bit more getting used to. I think I'll go with the Ma Lin blade since it seems like better value for money since its on sale. Regular price is 49,99€ and I can get it for 37,43€ currently.

This user has no status.
Yasaka Malin Extra Offensive is definitely not too fast, especially since none of the rubber you're considering is very fast.

Both of the blades you're considering sounds like a great option. Just pick one you like better.

Regarding the question about whether you should get a different rubber on your backhand or not, a well-known forum member named Carl will ask you a question that you yourself have to answer

"Why do you think you need a different rubber? "

Some people(like me) use different rubber on forehand and backhand so they can try different rubbers(infected by stage 1 of EJ virus lol).

Some people are way more confident about their forehand than backhand, so they use faster and harder rubber on the side that they can hit more confidently.

Some people, especially RPB penholder, like Tacky Chinese rubber on the backhand because the nature of RPB already requires a lot of brushing and they like spinny RPB.

It all comes down to what you like, if you want to try some other rubbers, rubbers like DHS Hurricane 3 will probably not disappoint you, but if you don't know what your BH needs then just get two of the same rubber so you have an easier time adjusting to the speed and spin of a new racket.
I am trying to learn the RPB as well but currently I'm just inconsistent, I hit the ball into the net most of the time. When I get the angle right I can hit the table pretty well. But I do have cases where the ball goes over the table as well. I've got a few rubbers that seem interesting, in case you can give additional advice. These two should in theory have more spin and control than the FH rubber.
https://revspin.net/rubber/lkt-pro-xp.html
https://revspin.net/rubber/729-fx-el-super-soft.html

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
You'll be surprised by how much your rpb improves just by getting a custom setup then lol.

From my experience, Stiga premades are aimed at real casual players(the drive and smash everything type). Their premades don't usually have a lot of grip and I can't imagine how one can play RPB with it.

I can't comment on the three rubbers you're deciding because I haven't used any of them(and I'm not a penhold player although sometimes I play with penhold as a joke when I'm playing at the club) so just pick one you like. Personally I would get LKT pro XT though because at first I was so scared about using tacky rubber as a beginner-intermediate without perfect technique but I just found out that I do a little better with tacky rubber on the forehand(and they're cheap!).

This user has no status.
You'll be surprised by how much your rpb improves just by getting a custom setup then lol.

From my experience, Stiga premades are aimed at real casual players(the drive and smash everything type). Their premades don't usually have a lot of grip and I can't imagine how one can play RPB with it.

I can't comment on the three rubbers you're deciding because I haven't used any of them(and I'm not a penhold player although sometimes I play with penhold as a joke when I'm playing at the club) so just pick one you like. Personally I would get LKT pro XT though because at first I was so scared about using tacky rubber as a beginner-intermediate without perfect technique but I just found out that I do a little better with tacky rubber on the forehand(and they're cheap!).
Alright, thank you! I think I'll get the Pro XT then for my RPB to get better spin and more control over the ball. Yeah I doubt the Stiga Bat is very comparable to the setup I'm getting. The blade alone costs 10€ more during this discount than the 2-star premade bat.