Blade builders can stabilized burl be used as top ply?

This user has no status.
As title stated can stabilized burl be used as a top ply in blade building or does stabilization cause it to be unusable and ruin the characteristics and feel
possessed and are only good for handles and decorations

Are all Burl's stabilized with some sort of polimer or some are natural and can be used as top ply

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm not sure of this because the rule is not clear enough and this is just my interpretation, but I don't think you can.

"2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller."

The stabilized burl would be considered a composite or reinforced layer and can't be used as a top ply, it must be within the blade. Anyway, I don't think I have ever seen stabilized burl veneers.

This user has no status.
I'm not sure of this because the rule is not clear enough and this is just my interpretation, but I don't think you can.

"2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller."

The stabilized burl would be considered a composite or reinforced layer and can't be used as a top ply, it must be within the blade. Anyway, I don't think I have ever seen stabilized burl veneers.
Thank you this clarified the topic a little more so you are saying burl is naturally produced and composite has not been added to create such features? Your also saying burl has a marble texture when sanded flat?
A commenter above you stated that burl is more unstable an inconsistant is that true? If conclusive to that statement that would make burl not sutable to be used as top ply

This user has no status.
received_2946455255456277~2.jpg

Something like this is natural than? And has no composite added or stabilized?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
You are mistaking two different things, burl and stabilized wood. Burl is natural formation in a tree an cause the wood grain to grow in a deformed manner. Stabilized wood is when you put a piece of wood in a vacuum chamber to fill the pores with resin, the resin can be dyed to create all sorts of patterns. Normally they use burl for this because it creates a nice visual effect. In terms of mechanical properties burl is not optimal for use in a top ply because the wood grain is inconsistent.

This user has no status.
You are mistaking two different things, burl and stabilized wood. Burl is natural formation in a tree an cause the wood grain to grow in a deformed manner. Stabilized wood is when you put a piece of wood in a vacuum chamber to fill the pores with resin, the resin can be dyed to create all sorts of patterns. Normally they use burl for this because it creates a nice visual effect. In terms of mechanical properties burl is not optimal for use in a top ply because the wood grain is inconsistent.

Thank you so the picture I shown is stated as a maca burl
That would be a stabilized burl to get this type of figured pattern right?