Blade & Rubber Recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi there,
after a 7 year break, I've decided to get back into table tennis (twice a week with some coaching at the start) and I'm looking for some equipment advice. I used to play competitively in my junior years at a decent level (county level). I used to play a Donic blade, i don't remember which and a Sriver/TackinessC on FH/BH. I always liked softer blades. My game is primarily FH topspin from close to mid distance - actually quite a bit mid-distance actually. My game also includes some chops away and pushes over the table. My BH is is mainly chops, pushes, occasional top spin and some flips (almost more flips than tops).

I'm looking for recommendations for both rubber and blade.

My budget is $250 (USD).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
For the rubber you could try Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft, at least on the backhand side, it's great for producing spin and has good control. It's a good rubber for balancing spinny topspins and control and good for the occasional drive shot too. Would be good for a pushing and chopping game without being too much of a 'defensive rubber'.

On the forehand you had sriver before, and prefer playing close and mid distance. Xiom Vega Pro is a reasonable rubber for that range, generates good spin with good balanced speed. It's not the fastest rubber out but it is a good controlled offensive rubber.

The Donic Appelgren Allplay is a softer blade, it has good control and a medium speed rating, that may suit your gamestyle. If you are looking for something faster you could try the Donic Waldner Diablo Senso, it's still a soft blade but has much more speed than the Appelgren Allplay. Donic have quite a good range of softer more touchy blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
Thanks for the quick response: a couple of questions

a) what sponge size would you recommend?
b) what are your thoughts about the Tibhar Nimbus Soft as a FH rubber?
c) Looking at blades and looking around on your website I was interested in the Bty Timo Boll Spirit, the Bty Petr Korbel and last but not least the Xiom Stradivarius - do you think these blades would be too offensive/fast for me?
d) any thoughts on the Waldner Senso Carbon? Too hard maybe?

thanks so much, I will research the Applegren Allplay V1.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Thanks for the quick response: a couple of questions

a) what sponge size would you recommend?
b) what are your thoughts about the Tibhar Nimbus Soft as a FH rubber?
c) Looking at blades and looking around on your website I was interested in the Bty Timo Boll Spirit, the Bty Petr Korbel and last but not least the Xiom Stradivarius - do you think these blades would be too offensive/fast for me?
d) any thoughts on the Waldner Senso Carbon? Too hard maybe?

thanks so much, I will research the Applegren Allplay V1.

To answer your question about sponge size - because you haven't played for a while, I would recommend a thinner sponge because this will give you more control; maybe around 1.8mm?

This user has no status.
Hi there,
after a 7 year break, I've decided to get back into table tennis (twice a week with some coaching at the start) and I'm looking for some equipment advice. I used to play competitively in my junior years at a decent level (county level). I used to play a Donic blade, i don't remember which and a Sriver/TackinessC on FH/BH. I always liked softer blades. My game is primarily FH topspin from close to mid distance - actually quite a bit mid-distance actually. My game also includes some chops away and pushes over the table. My BH is is mainly chops, pushes, occasional top spin and some flips (almost more flips than tops).

I'm looking for recommendations for both rubber and blade.

My budget is $250 (USD).

I have somewhat the same story.
I restarted playing for half a year after a 10 year break.
I tried different blades and rubbers and now i am
more than happy with

butterfly primorac -off

It's cheap with good control and good speed.

I use Tenergy 05fx (FH: max BH: 1,9) on both sides and it suits me very well.

I can recommend Tibhar Evolution fx-p as a forehand rubber as well.

I your technique is good enough i would not recommend using a classic rubber (sriver, mark v, coppa etc.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 1 reviews
Isn't the Tenergy 05 one of the fastest rubbers out there? Seems like an odd choice to start with - especially with max sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Yes I don't think it's worth spending the large amount of money to get Tenergy after having a 7 year break - you won't be able to make the most of it. Tenergy will probably also be a bit too fast for you.

Maybe try Tibhar Aurus Soft or Tibhar Aurus Sound. Both these rubbers have great spin and control whilst not being too fast. They will be great for developing your strokes again. They are also very durable and not too expensive.

This user has no status.
Isn't the Tenergy 05 one of the fastest rubbers out there? Seems like an odd choice to start with - especially with max sponge?

its actually not so fast and has moderate catapult.
05fx is a bit slower and has surprisingly good control.

Because i don't know your technique you have to decide for yourself.

In my opinion 05fx is easier to play as an ESN rubber with high speed and catapult (aurus, bluefire, acuda etc)