Can you increase throw angle of a rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I have a sheet of Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha I use on backhand. Its a soft and bouncy rubber, but i notice it has a insanely low throw angle. I have to make a huge adjustment on my BH to clear the net. Even then, I still hit the ball into the net on drives, loops, all topspins.

Is there a way to increase the throw angle? Maybe by boosting it? Or putting it on inner carbon or outer carbon blade?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I have a sheet of Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha I use on backhand. Its a soft and bouncy rubber, but i notice it has a insanely low throw angle. I have to make a huge adjustment on my BH to clear the net. Even then, I still hit the ball into the net on drives, loops, all topspins.

Is there a way to increase the throw angle? Maybe by boosting it? Or putting it on inner carbon or outer carbon blade?
Why not just use it on FH? I mean it is generally desirous for FH rubber to be low throw, is it not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Does booster actually increase the throw angle a little?

How about inner carbon or wood or outer carbon? I would imagine that wood, then inner carbon would have slightly higher throw angle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Does booster actually increase the throw angle a little?

How about inner carbon or wood or outer carbon? I would imagine that wood, then inner carbon would have slightly higher throw angle?

as I said, it depends on the rubber. Some will change more than others, or not at all.

Wood might be higher throw? It's more arched than carbon for sure. It depends on how much you spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

"throw angle" is a bogus term. Define it mathematically. Spin to speed ratio is better and tangential COR to normal COR is better yet. Tangential upwards force from a loop causes the ball to travel a little higher.
The spin is mostly due to the stroke and the rubber. The speed is mostly due to paddle speed, rubber and blade.
A fast blade will decrease the spin to speed ratio. This can be mitigated by brushing the ball a little more with your back hand stroke. Brushing the ball results in less of the energy going into speed and more into spin.

BTW, spin to speed could be measure as direct ratio if revs/sec to meters/sec of revs/meters of travel. Another way is to measure the ratio of rotational kinetic energy to translational kinetic energy. A ball with a 100 revs/sec spin and a 10 meter/sec speed has an rotational to tranlastional energy ratio of about 1.

Practice against a robot. Practice brushing the ball. Listen to the sound. If you hear the sound of the ball hitting the wood then you are not brushing enough. The sound will change a lot when the ball is just brushed by the rubber. This requires a lot of practice because it is easy to miss the ball when brushing. When brushing, the rubber has a much greater effect on the forward speed than the blade. The normal force from the blade actually wants to push the ball down into the net or table. When brushing you are trying to get the rubber to drag or pull the ball over the net. The Chinese call a loop "lo qiu" or pull ball. qiu is pronounced like cho.

Equipment is NOT the answer. Even a cheap Chinese rubber like H3 Neo will work well for this since H3 Neo is not that fast so it is easy to get a higher spin to speed ratio.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well I have many different rubbers, they all may have slightly different throw angles, and it doesn't bother me at all. But this ONE rubber in particular, has an absurdly low throw angle. It's easy to dismiss this complaint, but until you try it for yourself, it may be hard to imagine.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Well I have many different rubbers, they all may have slightly different throw angles, and it doesn't bother me at all. But this ONE rubber in particular, has an absurdly low throw angle. It's easy to dismiss this complaint, but until you try it for yourself, it may be hard to imagine.
Simple answer - bin it and forget about it !!!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I agree with IB66, if it’s giving you this much trouble just replace with something different.

Sending a video to see what’s going on would be your best to see how to fix a “low throw rubber”

Reactions: IB66