Can you "quick-clean" your hybrid rubber with your breath and palms?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Is it okay to remove the dust from a hybird rubber with the help of the breath and palm during a game? Will it help retain the grip and/or tack or will it deteriorate it someway?

Thanks!
I play with sticky rubbers (Golden Tango. Razka Z, Rakza Z EH) and do this all the time. The cover sheets are what preserve the tack, not how you clean them. As long as you use the cover sheets to prevent dust and oxidation, they will stay sticky.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
i also see amateurs from Mongolia do this while they’re on their horses!
and even when there on top of other things they do it. 🤣

The cover sheets are what preserve the tack, not how you clean them. As long as you use the cover sheets to prevent dust and oxidation, they will stay sticky.
Weeeeell, if you do never clean your rubbers, be it just quickly during games using your breath and palm or before going home a quick wash with water, then U will loose your stickiness on the rubbers.
Actually, on sticky rubbers when they are covered in dirt and dust a clear plastic cover won't even stick anymore.

Having said that , when clear film covers are applied on clean rubbers they definitely restore stickiness and , don't ask me why, but the longer the plastic is on the rubbers the stickier they get.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
and even when there on top of other things they do it. 🤣

Weeeeell, if you do never clean your rubbers, be it just quickly during games using your breath and palm or before going home a quick wash with water, then U will loose your stickiness on the rubbers.
Actually, on sticky rubbers when they are covered in dirt and dust a clear plastic cover won't even stick anymore.

Having said that , when clear film covers are applied on clean rubbers they definitely restore stickiness and , don't ask me why, but the longer the plastic is on the rubbers the stickier they get.
Yes, but if you don't use the sticky sheets, cleaning may help but not much. The main point is that using largely breath or water is pretty sufficient for cleaning, but if stickiness is the fear, the sheets are what do it. I haven't used more than water and my fingers in years after watching this video, and I breath more because of tacky rubbers and cleaning during games, but the main thing is to just preserve the hybrid rubbers with the cover sheets (after cleaning) if you want them to remain sticky:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Good cover protective sheets are a must and prolong your rubbers' life significantly.
To clean a racket before applying it, the best is just a bit of water and one of those sponges from AliExpress. It takes just 5 seconds to thoroughly clean any racket. Well better than any teeny-weeny "table tennis cleaning sponges".
Also, when applying a protective sheets you might use a roller, in the same way as when you're glueing the rubber. It will leave no air pockets. The best sheets in my experience are DHS, you can buy it on AliExpress as well (un-sticky ones are sticky enough, you might use sticky ones when storing a racket for a long time).
You'll thank me later. ;)
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 15.38.18.png
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 15.50.38.png