Cellulose nanofibre

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Some time ago, Butterfly came out with the Revoldia, and Darker came out with a few blades made with cellulose naofibre (Auroveil CNF). The benefit was supposed to be to get a wood feel on close to the table shots, but more power than just wood from a distance. I got a Darker Cegna and loved it, and I'm not going to change anytime soon. The blade properties are as advertised.

Why aren't the CNF blades more popular? Is it just a price issue? Do custom blade makers use CNF at all? For a more technical description of Auroveil CNF, see the link below:

https://www.ojiholdings.co.jp/english/r_d/theme/cnf.html#link03

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]RACKET OF MARBLE SHALL MAKE YOU KING OF THE HILL[/size]
Of all known solid materials the natural marble is the best bouncy providing CoR of 0.95. Hardened steel is next, and quartz glass is the third best. Wooden materials are far behind with CoR of 0.6-0.7 on average.
-----------------
@Knowledge is power, money and mental joyment.

Because you want a bit more power from mid distance?

You can get that with a wood blade power is power, power is power. The blade does not know where You stand (stolen from brokenball :))

You can get a small amount of innerforce effect if You put a layer next to the core thats all. The rest is just higher power. My fastest blade i believe is a Yasaka silver 9, a 9 layer all wood blade, its faster than my primorac carbon so it is all possible...
The sweetspot is all in the feel, doesn't do much to the shot quality, for this the rubber has way too much say....

Cheers
L-zr

According to butterfly Hadraw VR is pretty much as powerful but weighs only 88 grams vs 90 grams for revoldia. Hadraw is a 5 ply all wood. So there must be other reasons and I think one is definitely to sell more and expensive blades…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Of course you can use hard wood next to the core or underneath the top ply to increase power while maintaining a woody feeling, but when you use CNF you can make a lighter and less chunky blade that has the same (or more) power.

Exactly!!! This is why I'm surprised this material isn't more popular. Maybe cost is an issue? But then, the Darker blades are much lower cost than the Revoldia.

Reactions: MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
You can't just substitute a composite layer with a wood layer, it doesn't work like that. Composites have far better mechanical properties than wood, this performance/weight relation is very important. Furthermore, wood is a orthotropic material, this means that most of its strength it's along one major axis, while it's almost negligeable in the others. To use it you have to choose the direction you place it, and this will either affect the longitudinal or lateral stiffness more. Composites may or may not be, depending on the weave pattern, homogenous materials (and this is a big advantage). This means you can manipulate the characteristics in each direction.

CNF is basically wood fibers embedded in a PVA solution, this makes it a homogenous material too. Personally I just don't use it because I couldn't find it yet. All the manufactures I've seen are Japanese, so it's not a coincidence that only Japanese TT manufacturers are using it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
There's also other materials besides this one which give you the same woody feel you are describing, and which provide a sufficiently strong reinforcing matrix for composite materials, but which don't require large energy inputs to manufacture, or cost a lot of money to purchase.

Cellulose is a naturally occuring polymer and ​​​​​​along with hemicellulose and lignin, forms the major component of the cellular walls of ALL wood species, and of ALL naturally occuring plant-based fibres (yep - all wood is largely just cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin, regardless of the species).

In plants, cellulose fibres typically form into *long* strands naturally eg: all the common bast fibers (sisal, jute, cotton, flax, hemp etc) have long cellulose fibers which is why they are all used regularly in rope, cloth and canvas. Adding these bast fibers to a blade as a composite matrix (instead of carbon fibre) does the exact same job as the CNF, gives you the same -wood-like feeling you describe. It also typically does it at far lover cost, and doesn't require the same amount of energy input or processing to create.

There have been other blades that have used cellulose fibers to strengthen or stiffen them during play (the Andro flaxonite driver being just one example). I make a similar model to the Flaxonite myself, and absolutely bast fibets are more than strong enough to do the job of the CNF

.Part of why such blades aren't more popular is simply down to marketing. Another part of it is due to the fact that epoxy resin and natural fibers don't mix that well, as the natural fiber remains hygroscopic and absorbs water into the heart of the composite material over the course of its life through a wicking action. This isn't good for the composite and can weaken it if not properly sealed (though in a TT blade, this affect is barely noticeable in my experience, and does not seem to affect performance over the long term.).

Additionally, while nanocellulose is technically very strong stuff, and while it CAN make composite materials stronger, from my own reading of the literature on this subject, it actually DOESN'T work the way many people seem to think it does.Nanocellulose fibers are by definition *extremely* short - hence the 'nano' prefix. The resin from Spinifex grass for example provides some of the longest nanocellulose fibers we currently know of, but they are still measured in mm, not cm.The main use of nanocellulose to strengthen composite materials, derives from its ability to create stronger crosslinked bonds between layers of alphatic resins like type III PVA - ie: the glue. In simple terms, it makes something that is already sticky and hard, even more so -- it gives the liquid resin stronger bonds both between the molecular layers of the curing resin itself, and also with the rest of the composite matrix around it.But the strength and stiffness of a composite blade actually derives from the matrix of longer reinforcing fibers (the carbon fiber) rather than the glue that holds all those fibers in place.

Nanocellulose is a very strong substance in terms of strength to weight, but it's basically there holding the glue together better... It makes the aliphatic resin harder because the strength of cellulose fibers (be they nano or otherwise) is longitudinal -- those nanocellulose fibers are in essence acting like microscopic carbon fibers themselves, embedded within the glue, to make the glue stiffer and stronger... But again - stiffer stronger glue on its own does not make your blade meaningfully stiffer ...that's the job of the far longer carbon / arylite / bast fibers the glue is holding in place.

Hipnotic is entirely right -- composite fibers add strength in one direction only - longitudinally - so they have to be oriented parallel to the direction of strain, in order to do their job of strengthening and stiffening a blade. This is why using woven fabrics (where a fibre's longitudinal tensile strength has been physically arranged and oriented along a line of force that exists during impact) always results in a stiffer stronger blade than using a loose random arrangement of *the exact same fibers* (such as with non-woven carbon matting.)Stronger glue helps through adding adhesive and cohesive strength, so yes ...stronger harder glue can make a blade stronger and harder... but at all times it's the longer composite fibers that do most of the heavy lifting. Nanocellulose-reinforced resin can help in making a blade more durable certainly, but only if you want extra hardness in your blade as well as extra stiffness.

Last edited: