Custom racket - Advice

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
https://ibb.co/YZCsPwC

When you are holding your racket, your index finger should not be bent like this:

IMG%200543%20JPG.jpeg

And the wing of your racket should not be crooked in the bent index finger at that knuckle that is bent in the photo above.

The wing of the racket should be nestled in the space made between the hand and thumb in the photo below:

IMG%200544%20JPG.jpeg

So, like the photo below:

IMG 0539 JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I hope that information is helpful to you. It is really hard to change that at first. But it will be worth changing because, you just cannot hit a forehand properly with that grip. So, it could take a while to relearn things, but....It will be worth it.

And I would also say, it may not make any sense to get a new racket until you have fully changed your grip and gotten used to how to hit with the new grip and the new grip does not mysteriously change back to the old grip.

Self hitting for both FH and BH (like in the video I showed of self hit for FH) could help you get used to the new grip.

Grip is complicated and I actually hold in a way where my grip switches a little for every shot I make because I am holding the racket with my index finger and thumb and not with the fingers on the handle. But you want a grip that keeps the racket centered so you are ready for either a FH or a BH and with the grip you show for BH, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to switch your grip from that to a FH grip in the middle of play.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I hope that information is helpful to you. It is really hard to change that at first. But it will be worth changing because, you just cannot hit a forehand properly with that grip. So, it could take a while to relearn things, but....It will be worth it.

And I would also say, it may not make any sense to get a new racket until you have fully changed your grip and gotten used to how to hit with the new grip and the new grip does not mysteriously change back to the old grip.

Self hitting for both FH and BH (like in the video I showed of self hit for FH) could help you get used to the new grip.

Grip is complicated and I actually hold in a way where my grip switches a little for every shot I make because I am holding the racket with my index finger and thumb and not with the fingers on the handle. But you want a grip that keeps the racket centered so you are ready for either a FH or a BH and with the grip you show for BH, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to switch your grip from that to a FH grip in the middle of play.

I saw your photos and your explanations i get it, but at first it wont be easy to change it since i played my whole life with that grip, i guess it will take some time. But also on the last thing you said about buying custom racket i will stop that. Firstly i will focus on improving and properly holding racket more than everything else. I think there is one guy that is teaching people how to play , so maybe it would be good for me to take class or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is a good idea. And yes. You are right. It will be hard at first. But I know some people who have made that switch and once you get used to the new grip, it will make big improvements possible. Doing things like self hitting or hitting with a robot can also help you get used to using the new grip.

I have changed grips several times to test out different things. So, I do know it will take a lot of work. Good luck.

Reactions: damszelfly