DHS Hurricane long 5

says My current competition setup is what's on my profile...
Nov 2016
I have the new design for HL5. As stated above, the head size is smaller - 150 x 156-157 mm (same size as viscaria head size) vs the 152 x 160 mm head size of the original HL5. The weight is 91 grams vs 95-96 grams (original HL5). The reduced head size gives the blade a lot more balance but if you pair it with a chinese rubber like hurricane, it will be slightly head heavy. According to tabletennis11 - when I emailed them, they said the technical specifications are the same for both blades. I have never tried the original HL5, so I can't really compare anything else beyond this. The handle size is slightly smaller compared to other blades like the viscaria. The diameter is about 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm at the base and 2.7 cm x 2.3 cm at the middle of the blade. However, this still fits my hand just right.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucasMcCaine
Nov 2016
It'll definitely be smaller just by a bit. I just realized that I put the head size in cm, it should mm otherwise that's gigantic. That part is now corrected. If you take a ruler and plot out the difference 157 vs 160 mm and 150 vs 152 mm, it's not a lot. On the bright side, that means less rubber that you'll need to use, so your racket will be lighter and it'll be slightly easier to switch quickly between backhand and forehand. At the end of the day, it's really up to you what you really want and also what kind of style you are looking for.

P.S. I actually would also love to try the bigger head size and see what it feels like.

Reactions: LucasMcCaine
Nov 2016
It only comes in Flared because the handle is too small in terms of diameter size. If you want a bigger handle or straight handle, you would have to get the HL3 (all wood) which has a blade thickness of 6.3 mm vs the 5.9 mm of HL5 or the national version of the HL5 blade which would be the W968 (which has a bigger handle size, but I think it's only flared). Tabletennis11 as of 2-3 weeks ago had both old and new, but I believe it was causing confusion for the buyers so they merged it as one. You would have to contact them to ask.

Nov 2016
Hi Leonardo, yes I like it very much! As stated by a lot of other people, it's got a huge catapult effect so it's very easy to loop underspin. I used DHS H3 Neo for my FH and didn't really need to adjust much. BH I had to adjust a little, because my setup is slightly head heavy. The blade is definitely good. That being said, and I'll say it again, definitely try it out at a club. Someone's bound to have it because it's a fairly popular blade. Another choice that people are going to, and it's basically always sold out on tabletennis11 is the Fang Bo Carbon blade by DHS which is said to be similar to HL5 but the blade is stiffer. On the bright side it's cheaper and you might find a lot of people using this as I always see this blade sold out on tt11.