Do you play with equipment above your level?

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
how would you quantify the skill level required for a setup?
Typical symptoms of using a too advanced setup are difficulties with blocking, short pushes and soft touches. And when these problems go away when switching back to a slower setup, then you know it's the bat, not the person.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Typical symptoms of using a too advanced setup are difficulties with blocking, short pushes and soft touches. And when these problems go away when switching back to a slower setup, then you know it's the bat, not the person.
Make sense, but that could also mean that setup is just bad in some ways? Like if we take it to the extreme, someone used pure carbon fiber, or maybe titanium to make a blade, then no one would be able to use it.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
depends depends.
When I play against Jack I can block push short and soft but when I play against Jim I
normally can not even get the bat to the ball. Which setup do you recommend, I got this blade that was advertised as "professional" for $ 3 .75 from Aliexpress.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
My main weapon is G1 fh and Baracuda bh on a Stratus Powerwood, nothing too crazy, but it's no slouch. I know it has a lot more potential than what I can produce myself, but I think all things considered, it's pretty manageable for the level of performance it can produce. My one gripe is that the Baracuda can be a bit bouncier and more spin sensitive in the short game than I am used to

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Make sense, but that could also mean that setup is just bad in some ways? Like if we take it to the extreme, someone used pure carbon fiber, or maybe titanium to make a blade, then no one would be able to use it.
Hhhmmm, I would not be too hasty on the pure carbon blade.
When I had my "construction phase" I took the frequency of a few blades, for example:
BTY Inner ALC 1300 HZ, My ZLC special 1370 Hz and then I came across some leftover
3mm solid carbon sheet and thought, why not and it pinged at 1415 HZ. That is not very fast.
Of course frequency is just one single aspect but I think if one takes a 5mm carbon sheet and glues on a handle and some rubbers it would still be a playable ping pong paddle :giggle:

Jan 2023
depends depends.
When I play against Jack I can block push short and soft but when I play against Jim I
normally can not even get the bat to the ball. Which setup do you recommend, I got this blade that was advertised as "professional" for $ 3 .75 from Aliexpress.
not getting to the ball is rarely the fault of the bat unless it's 1kg :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
So if ppl use very hard rubbers then it's suited for them?
Kinda hard to generalise if one's equipment requires a higher skill level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I would say that equipment above your level is a setup where you feel that you are out of control in some or many parts of playing table tennis. But of course your belief in your own playing level could also be too high, and then changing setup will never help.

You have to be realistic about your level and at the same time find a setup that leaves you with control in all parts of your game play. But that's how we all think right? :D

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
You have to be realistic about your level and at the same time find a setup that leaves you with control in all parts of your game play. But that's how we all think right? :D
Yep, that's how i see it too.
I got setups that might be a bit much for me, so I make some mistakes.
Then I got setups that are very comfortable, so i make some mistakes as well,
I mean, so what , every player makes mistakes and then you win some and also loose some.
No big problemo. 😂

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Yep, that's how i see it too.
I got setups that might be a bit much for me, so I make some mistakes.
Then I got setups that are very comfortable, so i make some mistakes as well,
I mean, so what , every player makes mistakes and then you win some and also loose some.
No big problemo. 😂
Well. You have to aim to become a more advanced player as well, so then you'll need a setup that you don't totally master I guess. But it needs to be in that area of your own playing level so it will be quite comfortable playing with.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The idea of equipment "beyond" someone's level is misleading and skewed, containing insinuations. There is suitable and not so suitable for someones style and preference and it has nothing to do with the level a person is at in table tennis.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I guess, when you get to a certain level, you can play almost with anything. Outer/inner carbon, allwood etc. The only thing, that percentage of accuracy will go up if you pick setup that are more suitable for your style and level of play and stick to it for a several months.
But there’s some blades are too fast, for my taste. I still can play with them, but level of stability will decrease a little. Does it saying that those are “equipment above my level”? Maybe, or maybe it’s not just my cup of tea 🙂
If you enjoying playing with some sort of equipment - does the question of “too advanced” even matter?

Last edited: