Sep 2023
When I understand correctly, serving with doubles goes like this
a1 > b1 (a team swaps sides)
b1 > a2 (b team swaps side)
a2 > b2 (a team swaps sides)
b2 > a1 (b team swaps side)
a1 > b1 again etc.

Am I correct that a1 never serves at b2, b1 never serves at a1
Or does one have to remember the player setting for the second game.
Or is this something strategically to exploit.. like a1 is very good in receiving side spin serves so he makes sure he always receives from b2?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
a1 > b1 again etc.

Or is this something strategically to exploit.. like a1 is very good in receiving side spin serves so he makes sure he always receives from b2?
very happy to add to the confusion here, but the way i understand it at the beginning of every game the serving team can decide which one of their players is serving.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
very happy to add to the confusion here, but the way i understand it at the beginning of every game the serving team can decide which one of their players is serving.
and the receiving team can decide who to receive. This is applicable to the very first serve of the game. After that it will follow a standard procedure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
That is correct
a1 > b1 again etc.

I do find it a little more hard to follow the variable names, so let's give the players names.

Timo and Patrick play against Marcos and Hugo.

When the decision was done who will begin with serving:
SET 1
- the serving team can choose who will serve first.
- the receiving team can choose who wants to receive first
Let's assume Timo chooses to serve first and the receiving team picks Hugo to receive first.
Timo will serve twice to Hugo. The score is now either 1-1, 0-2 or 2-0
The general rule to remember is "change position when you have served twice", so Timo has served twice now and will move over to the left, leaving Patrick to be the one that has to receive now.
Next general rule "when you have received twice, you will be the one to serve next without changing position", so Hugo who has received the first two serves of Timo will now be the one to serve. Hugo will serve to Patrick. Another rule: You only ever serve to the same person inside one set. So Hugo will always serve to Patrick in Set 1 and in Set 3.
After Hugo serves twice, he changes position, so Marcos is in the receiving spot and Patrick who did receive twice is now the one who is going to serve twice (to Marcos now).
SET 2
- the receiving team "changes", which is to say that Marcos and Hugo are the team serving first now. They can choose who of them wants to serve and the opponent (receiving team) of Timo and Patrick have to adjust, so that neither Marcos will serve to whom he served to in the last set (which was Timo) nor Hugo is serving to Patrick.

The rules allow you as a single player to have only one opponent player to play to and receive balls from per set.
So in Set 1 Timo will receive (not only serves but also serve returns and consecutive balls) from Marcos, while Patrick will always receive the balls played by Hugo. You can more easily get a feel of how this player plays and dont need to change that inside a set/game.

You just have to remember, that you will serve to the person that you did not serve in the last game/set.
You can not exploit that outside of the first set where the receiving team can decide who receives from what opponent first.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
indeed, once the server has been decided , the receiver follows as in game 1.

The general rule to remember is "change position when you have served twice", so Timo has served twice now and will move over to the left
well, this is of course only partially correct, because these days us lefties stay where we are and DO NOT move over to the left :devilish:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
indeed, once the server has been decided , the receiver follows as in game 1.

well, this is of course only partially correct, because these days us lefties stay where we are and DO NOT move over to the left :devilish:
That is correct. My example was strictly for right handed players, but the rules apply anyways. Regardless of where the players feel most comfortable to stand

Reactions: lodro