Euro technique with Chinese rubber, or Chinese technique with Euro rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The classic Euro technique is Boll and the textbook Chinese technique is Ma Long.

The ball has gone bigger, it’s a game of speed and pace. Even the newer gen Chinese players swing between Boll and Ma Long now.

For most club and provincial level players, Euro technique works better for any rubber because you can stay close to the table and play at a faster pace.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I always thought European means short motions with the arm bent and Chinese long swings with a more straight arm. But of course there are also Europeans with longer swings and Chinese with more compact swings (like lin gaoyuan)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I always thought European means short motions with the arm bent and Chinese long swings with a more straight arm. But of course there are also Europeans with longer swings and Chinese with more compact swings (like lin gaoyuan)
That's how I interpret OP's thread. These days euro short swing works really well close to table

This user has no status.
It is different for everyone. Truls Moregardh has a pretty big straight arm FH so does a lot of the other Swedish national team members like Kristian Karlsson. Even the Lebruns have pretty straight arms for their FH loops. There's a lot of top Europeans who don't loop like Timo Boll.

Even among CNT, LJK, LSD has a pretty compact FH stroke while FZD and Ma Long and Xiang Peng have much straighter arms.

It has to be something that suits your own game, physicality and comfort.

Reactions: latej
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
In the men side you don't see much difference. Look over the women side and the Euro / Chinese technique is more pronunce.

Compare and contrast Bernie / Polcanolva with SYS / WYD to see the difference.

I prefer the slower and spinnier Euro game, more entertaining less speed healthier for the neck.

Also as a player a slower ball = more rally = more fun.