Everyone has a weakness!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I think my weakness is my footwork and topspin blocks I really need consistency with my topspin blocks and lastly I need more exposure to club games because I intend to get very nervous and start to concentrate to much on the ball resulting to inconsistency. I remember when i was still in high school and joined the inter school division, I'm in favor Sets (2-0) and the score was 9-6 then...... i suddenly lost my concentration for the rest of the game and I lost and it's kinda funny too because it was a total mayhem for my opponent until I lost it and by the way this was a championship match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
my service receive, well over all my short game sucks, specially my service receive, i love to loop from both wings, im more comfortable with it, although i dont mind and open attack coming from a poor service receive it would really help if i initiate the open attack by having a good service receive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi Table Tennis Daily members.

As the topic is saying everyone has a weakness. take e.g. Ma Long isn't that strong in his BH, but he is aware of this and therefore he moves around the table so he can play with his strong FH.

When I started playing again my BH was so weak that I only pushed the ball on the opponents side of the table when I didn't had the opportunity to play my FH. I couldn't really break the evil circle with playing bad with my BH. I finally figured out a way for myself to get better with my BH. Instead of thinking "play with my FH" i switched to "play with my BH". Mentally I was afraid that I couldn't make a FH-shot if I prepared myself in my BH. But it showed instinctively that if the FH-shot came normally even with my BH in my mind. Because of I am thinking this way today, my BH is one of my new weapons :) Funny that a so little adjustment can do so much!

Tell about your weakness(es), and what you did to get better.

Totally agreed. Even Liu GuoLiang expresses, "Ma Long - BH No power!" during the first few days of warm-up at Schlager Academy. We definitely have a lot of weakness that are countless if compare to Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
For a long time my offensive moves were all FH, I played using anti cause I had a hard time reading and recieving serves. My BH backhand strokes then was only push, block and twiddle. After an absence of 20 years I played again and had the courage to learn the BH stroke. Using Sriver G2FX I developed a spinny push, loop against underspin, sidespin flick against short underspin serve and a more consistent loop and a loop with some sidespin. For several months I have been using these new found weapon and I noticed I was favoring my BH so much such that after the serve I tend to move to my FH side waiting to be able to deliver my BH loop or flick. My usual opponents learned to shy away from my BH and fed the ball to my FH. Lately I concentrated again in practicing my FH loop. This goes to show that it is never to late to learn new tricks.
Footwork and footspeed is another weakness. This is one trick that this old dog can't cure. I have to admit I'm a bit old and will never have the speed of youth.
God bless

This user has no status.
Backhand is not only Countertopspin. Dima's backhand over the table, especially the backhand flip is inferior to Ma Long's backhand. Besides Dimas pushes with his backhand on the forehand side of the table are damn weak. Thats why Ma Long won the game.
When he backhands on the forehand side it does not mean his backhand is weak, his forehand push is weak so he tries to compensate that by using his stronger backhand.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Footwork starts with watching the ball as the opponent contacts the ball. I need to work on watching the ball and the angle of the racket when the ball is contacted. It is hard to have good footwork without really, really watching the ball the whole time. This is the secrete to dealing with defenders when they chop heavy and then they chop light and then they chop dead. If you are not watching closely you will have not chance. I need to work on this more. When I watch the ball better my footwork improves and then I do the right strokes.

But practicing shadow footwork drills helps my footwork a lot. And it needs to improve also. Shadow strokes with a mirror helps me improve my strokes as well. You can improve your technique without a table too. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Backhand topspin against backspin ! In few situations I put the ball on the table ..

Do you shot the ball too far or in the net? If you put ball to far try to brush the ball more than hitting it or try to open your bat if the ball is going into the net. Would like to see a vid of your BH if its possible.